• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On fads

Curious_George

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Those are some nice-looking army-issue shoes. They all seem to be wearing the same jeans, too-- Levis 501s, I suppose. Odd, I was under the impression that a trend-based youth culture didn't exist until sometime in the '50s. Jeans-as-workwear doesn't quite translate for women. I guess they have to wait another 15 years for Lee to make skinny jeans.
I don't believe they're 501s as they all seem to have double felled outseams. Also I have to disagree with you about the girls, I think the one in the back holding the ladder looks great in her cuffed Lees (?).

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Anyone here who thinks they are not prone to fads or trends are seriously mistaken.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Anyone here who thinks they are not prone to fads or trends are seriously mistaken.

Try reading the thread before responding to it, SoCal.
teacha.gif

horriblyjollyjinx

Reaction score
Those are some nice-looking army-issue shoes. They all seem to be wearing the same jeans, too-- Levis 501s, I suppose.

Odd, I was under the impression that a trend-based youth culture didn't exist until sometime in the '50s.

All but one of the boys are for certain not wearing Levi's, because of the felled seams.

Great pics and a fun tidbit showing that trends have always been present.

SenorMatador

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Odd Morsel
It's no fad, my friend. It lives on in the form of the Asian Squat... and their form is quite good.

Too true haha. Seen all over Orange County.

But damn, everyone dressed so well back in the 50's.. we desperately need some of that.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Yeah, but the pointy cone shaped bras from that time period probably made up for it.
smile.gif
Popular in the 1950's. I guess it was the summer look, but I'm glad that the socks were lost over the years.
bermuda_shorts_1.jpg
bermuda_shorts_2.jpg
bermuda_shorts_3.jpg

I like the long hose--it's completely nerdy and unsexy. I feel inspiration for Summer Wear. I can't abide squatting. Even the word is unaesthetic.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Completely bizarre and unrelated to clothes, but I also came across photo's of men squatting, or "hunkering". This one was new to me...

hunkering.jpg

hunkering_1.jpg

hunkering_2.jpg

It apparently was a college culture thing for some southern states in 1959 where they'd just squat while doing anything, though I kind of get the feeling that the kids were all in on some big prank on the media. (time article)

I love how they are hunkering on a perfectly good bench that they could just be sitting on.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try reading the thread before responding to it, SoCal.
teacha.gif

but he is fashion jesus. he does not need to read the thread.

he just needs to keep talking so everyone can soak up some of that great knowledge!

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
However, neither of the two chaps in the B & W photo in the OP are wearing Bermuda shorts IMO.

Bermuda shorts (British military & police definition anyway) should, just like a kilt, reach the middle of the kneecap and be loose fitting.
The light pair in that photo are far too short even accounting for riding up when sitting down and the dark pair are so tight as to look like cyclng shorts.

Of the 3 chaps in the colour photo only the chap in the checked jacket and white socks has the correct length. The chaps in the evening wear B & W photo all have the right length and correct
loose fit.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That first picture is awesome.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
but he is fashion jesus. he does not need to read the thread.

he just needs to keep talking so everyone can soak up some of that great knowledge!

...and wear random mismatched and oversized stuff.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Theater students at Wellesley College preparing a stage set. (note girls clad in denim, the latest fad). Date taken: October 1949"

Thongs obviously weren't a fad yet in 1949; look at that panty line.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I have never seen a man who wasn't on TV or in their 60's in bermuda shorts.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, but seriously.

Is there anything in the current mil surp world like those boots in the first pic?

K

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member