• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Groomsmen: Charcoal suit, light pink shirt, black shoes, white linen pocket square, orange carnations boutonniere. For their ties, I bought the red houndstooth, but welcome your thoughts

Myself, I'm wearing: Suit (navy peak lapel singled breasted 2 button, no vest) Shoes: Allen Edmonds Fifth Ave Dark Chili, matching belt

Pink shirt, red tie, orange flowers? To be honest, that sounds really not good. Sorry, but you asked.
Wearing a navy suit on your wedding day is great, but black shoes would be more befitting such a special occasion.

GloryField

Reaction score
Pink shirt, red tie, orange flowers? To be honest, that sounds really not good. Sorry, but you asked.
Wearing a navy suit on your wedding day is great, but black shoes would be more befitting such a special occasion.

Completely escaped my mind. I'll look for a grenadine tie in navy for them. Would you recommend different colors for the 3 groomsmen so they don't look too similar? Maybe Blue, Navy, and slate blue. Or Navy, Two-Tone Wine and Navy, and Chocolate? (from Chipp neckwear)
http://www.chippneckwear.com/italian-grenadine/

What tie would you recommend to myself? Grey grenadine from Chipp, or go for a different pattern?

For the shoes, I might be stuck with the dark chili at this point, unless I can somehow get a black one shipped to the AE store and do an exchange in store.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Completely escaped my mind. I'll look for a grenadine tie in navy for them. Would you recommend different colors for the 3 groomsmen so they don't look too similar? Maybe Blue, Navy, and slate blue. Or Navy, Two-Tone Wine and Navy, and Chocolate? (from Chipp neckwear)
http://www.chippneckwear.com/italian-grenadine/

What tie would you recommend to myself? Grey grenadine from Chipp, or go for a different pattern?

For the shoes, I might be stuck with the dark chili at this point, unless I can somehow get a black one shipped to the AE store and do an exchange in store.

Have the groomsmen wear nice, white shirts. Let the colors come from the boutonnière or pocket square. Matching pink shirts sounds naff. Pink carnations or cornflowers are nice.

ERok32

Reaction score

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GloryField

Reaction score
Any nice grey tie will do fine. For weddings I like a Prince of Wales glen check myself, but get whichever one you like.

The shoes you have will do if they must, but if I had the choice, I'd go with black.

So is the Red Houndtooth tie ok then on a white shirt for them?

Thanks!

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I now know that wearing a belt with a 3 piece suit is faux pas, but when I designed my MTM wedding suit I wasn't as sartorially versed and wanted to get something that was versatile enough that I could wear it again in my life. I got belt loops instead of suspender attachment points (not sure what they are called) as I wear belts and like the look of a belt.

When I got the suit I wasn't sure if I was going to end up using the waistcoat or not since I am getting married on a beach and in a hot climate, but I figured I would add it in since it didn't add too much to the cost and it at least gave me the option of wearing it at some point. I figured I'd maybe wear the jacket during the ceremony and dinner and then throw on the waistcoat for just the party, or something like that. It was just something different to add/make the occasion more memorable.

Now I'm thinking I will probably wear the three piece suit during the ceremony and then just ditch the jacket at some point later.

My question would be, is it still faux pas to wear a belt even if it's 95% imperceptible (especially in front, just a tiny sliver of buckle on the bottom mayor may not show but it doesn't perceptibly add to the girth of the waistcoat)?

I don't have the option for braces at this point, so in order to really hold my trousers where I want them, I need the belt. Plus it makes me feel more complete and tightened up.

I know it's breaking the rules, at this point I'm ok with it, but I'm curious about your thoughts.

ERok32

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I now know that wearing a belt with a 3 piece suit is faux pas, but when I designed my MTM wedding suit I wasn't as sartorially versed and wanted to get something that was versatile enough that I could wear it again in my life. I got belt loops instead of suspender attachment points (not sure what they are called) as I wear belts and like the look of a belt.

When I got the suit I wasn't sure if I was going to end up using the waistcoat or not since I am getting married on a beach and in a hot climate, but I figured I would add it in since it didn't add too much to the cost and it at least gave me the option of wearing it at some point. I figured I'd maybe wear the jacket during the ceremony and dinner and then throw on the waistcoat for just the party, or something like that. It was just something different to add/make the occasion more memorable.

Now I'm thinking I will probably wear the three piece suit during the ceremony and then just ditch the jacket at some point later.

My question would be, is it still faux pas to wear a belt even if it's 95% imperceptible (especially in front, just a tiny sliver of buckle on the bottom mayor may not show but it doesn't perceptibly add to the girth of the waistcoat)?

I don't have the option for braces at this point, so in order to really hold my trousers where I want them, I need the belt. Plus it makes me feel more complete and tightened up.

I know it's breaking the rules, at this point I'm ok with it, but I'm curious about your thoughts.

I don’t think it matters, and I doubt anyone will even notice or know that you broke any sort of rule.

AdductorMagnus

Reaction score
Just to report, I've had an awesome day as best man in my friends wedding. Morning dress (with hideous white paisley tie which I gladly wore but internally hated) for church and photo session, and white tie for the reception. All weddings should be formal. Navy/charcoal suits are fine, but there's no beating proper formal dress.

mrsaxman

Reaction score
Thoughts, everyone?
56640CFB-7624-4588-96CA-686824A9E498.jpeg
FE12AD9B-97A6-4D7A-B39F-C82E1A6C7850.jpeg
AE40C8BB-4BBE-413E-913B-BC556C204B0C.jpeg
ED8B26F7-20EB-4B5B-B17F-0CA845771530.jpeg

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
Photos please.

Just to report, I've had an awesome day as best man in my friends wedding. Morning dress (with hideous white paisley tie which I gladly wore but internally hated) for church and photo session, and white tie for the reception. All weddings should be formal. Navy/charcoal suits are fine, but there's no beating proper formal dress.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads