• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with you in theory, but women spend $200+ on new bridesmaid dresses they will wear for ~6 hours in their lives and no one bats an eye, so I just think expectations have shifted a little. Whether or not they should shift is another argument.
There are a lot of women and a lot of weddings. I know some who thrifted their wedding dress for $50, others who go full couture as guests. Sometimes it is worth taking a step back from the marketing view...

I do think black tie accessories are not exactly expensive - just eat at home one more night than usual and the budget is there for the cummerbund. New, I like Poszetka's although it is a tad tight for my 36" waist. And I really like and recommend their (black satin) bow ties.

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
Congrats on your upcoming wedding. FYI, they'll need suspenders either way - suspenders hold their trousers up, cummerbunds cover their waist (as required by black tie guidelines).

I was originally planning on getting everyone suspenders and going with a covered placket plain shirt, but the boss has requested I go in the cummerbund direction.

Thanks for your reply!

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with you in theory, but women spend $200+ on new bridesmaid dresses they will wear for ~6 hours in their lives and no one bats an eye...

Yes, and that is lunacy. :facepalm:
There's no reason to play dress up with our friends as if they were a set of Barbie dolls just because it's a wedding. No reason whatsoever.

ERok32

Reaction score
I'm getting married at a beach villa in Puerto Rico. I'm thinking of wearing a light blue linen jacket with white linen trousers and brown tassel loafers. Would this be proper beach wedding attire? This is similar to what I'm looking to do.
a>

hespoke-alley-1.jpg

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting married at a beach villa in Puerto Rico. I'm thinking of wearing a light blue linen jacket with white linen trousers and brown tassel loafers. Would this be proper beach wedding attire? This is similar to what I'm looking to do.
a>

View attachment 963210
Those in the pic are more 5 pocket white jeans, but if you do what you say in your description then it's more than fine.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love this paragraph from the BTG:

“Friends Don't Let Friends Match the Bridesmaids"
Your bride is obviously an absolutely wonderful woman or you would not be committing to her for the rest of your natural life. And your wedding day is likely something that she has dreamed of for a long time so it is both gracious and mature of you to defer to her preferences for everything from invitation wording to cake flavor. However, your formal attire is the exception to the rule. No matter how little interest you have in clothing in general, remember that your clothing reflects who you are as a man and carefully consider the implications of allowing your fiancée to base your outfit on the color of the bridesmaids' dresses. At best you will be on par with a little girl's dressed-up puppy and at worst you will be reduced to the status of a matching handbag. She may resent your independence in the short term but in the long run your marriage will benefit from your refusal to begin it as a sartorial eunuch. :nodding:

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Supplemental/Weddings.htm

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
And your wedding day is likely something that she has dreamed of for a long time so it is both gracious and mature of you to defer to her preferences for everything from invitation wording to cake flavor.

The first part of this is annoyingly presumptuous and the second half is spineless. You're supposed to be in this together.

lostlostlost

Reaction score
Esteemed gents,

I wanted to kindly request your help with waistcoat styling for my wedding tuxedo.

I bought the tuxedo pictured below from Spier and Mackay. It fits well and I am a huge fan of the colours. Now I am trying to get a matching custom/bespoke waistcoat made with the same midnight navy fabric.
2458u-2.9-1500x1500-1_1.jpg
I have looked at a few styles and like the idea of the single breasted midnight navy waistcoat though with four buttons and two pockets. I will probably opt out of shawl collar lapels as it seems discordant with the peak lapels on the tuxedo jacket itself. Any suggestions for styling? What is the correct/conventional cut for the U shape? I will probably also have a hidden placket shirt with vertical pleats and spread collar custom made to go with this.
Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 1.41.40 PM.png E&R_feb2011_full_crop.jpg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@lostlostlost

If I were you, I would skip the waistcoat, and opt for a cummerbund in black satin. You are going to struggle to find a waistcoat in the right midnight blue, and even if you were to find one, it is difficult to find the right balance between jacket-waistcoat-trousers.

I had my tuxedo made, and we had a few tries before the vest worked well.

molly-joshweb-19-jpg.914596

lostlostlost

Reaction score
Hey Newcomer, thanks for your prompt reply. Turns out SM still had the same midnight navy fabric left, hence my interest. I was thinking about the vest since this will probably be the only tuxedo that I buy for a while.

Yours looks great btw!

GloryField

Reaction score
I'm having my wedding in late May, it'll be a rustic style wedding at a vineyard in Vermont.

Bride is wearing white dress, bridesmaids coral dresses.

Groomsmen: Charcoal suit, light pink shirt, black shoes, white linen pocket square, orange carnations boutonniere.

For their ties, I bought the red houndstooth, but welcome your thoughts
https://imgur.com/a/JLBimUS

Myself, I'm wearing:

Suit (navy peak lapel singled breasted 2 button, no vest)
https://www.indochino.com/product/kingsbridge-navy-suit

Shirt (white, french cuffs)
https://www.indochino.com/product/helston-white-shirt

Cuff links: either silver knots or white pearl, thoughts?

Boutonniere: either white or red carnation from florist (thoughts on red vs white?)

Pocket Square: I was set on a plain white linen, square fold, but then read a thread that recommended cream silk if wearing white shirt.
https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/hoqe6/pocket_squares_an_alternative_opinion/

Tie: So far I'm choosing between Houndstooth vs Glen plaid, but after I received the glen plaid, i realized it's not brown but more of a maroon color. Not sure if it would work well, because my groomsmen are already wearing red houndstooth ties. The black houndstooth also looks too similar in pattern. So maybe I need to go for something else? I'd like to keep it under $50 if possible.

Shoes: Allen Edmonds Fifth Ave Dark Chili, matching belt

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads