• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
My friend Léon Philippe rambles a bit in this post, but I think his final advice is good and the letter writer's situation seems similar to your own:

http://nomanwalksalone.tumblr.com/post/110833404021/ask-the-rakish-man-wedding-attire-hello

Great advice! I was actually thinking about something navy and peak lapel
wink.gif
but figured I would leave the question open ended before putting any personal biases in. Thoughts on shoes? Shirt? Fabrics/books I should start my search in?

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Great advice! I was actually thinking about something navy and peak lapel ;)  but figured I would leave the question open ended before putting any personal biases in. Thoughts on shoes? Shirt? Fabrics/books I should start my search in? 

Shoes should be black I think. The standard black captoes are an easy choice. If you wanted something less typical, you could wear boots, or if you wanted to get crazier, some kind of more black tie-like shoe. Pumps are surely too much. Those embroidered slipper things are wrong for a number of reasons. But there are some other options that are sleek and elegant while still being casual and avoiding (perhaps) being louche. The G&G "Ronald" in black might be an example:

https://www.gazianogirling.com/pages/house-evening-shoes

You know how I feel about Belgian shoes. In patent it's too abrasively black-tie perhaps, but what about in black suede or velvet?

http://www.belgianshoes.com/henri-suede.html

For the shirt, white, spread collar - if you can find zendaline, that's ideal but it's hard to find and often exorbitantly expensive. Royal oxford usually looks too shiny to me. I'd probably just take an end-on-end. If you want a special detail, try single cuffs.

Jim Chu

Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestion, Testudo. I never thought this colour would work with the shoes but the idea is growing on me.

If anyone else cares to give their input, it would be greatly appreciated!
Well.......I am not sure it does work. It's too casual for any suit other than maybe a light grey or light brown one.
Notwithstanding the light brown shoe craze, such shoes are very limiting.

Last edited:

AdductorMagnus

Reaction score
Seeing as I benefited a great deal from reading this thread, questions answered, feedback and advice given, I thought I'd share some photos from the big day.

Budapest in sweltering 39 degrees Celsius. We survived somehow.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful. And I do not just mean the morning dress. To have looked as cool as you do in such heat is very impressive.

Your groomsmen/ushers show great style as well.

I've only just noticed the last white tie picture. Great too.

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts on pleated vs marcella tux shirts? Tux will be RLBL - peak lapels, midnight blue:

Grabbed an RLPL pleated shirt on eBay, but wondering if the wider pleats will look off with the slimmer cut of the RLBL tux.

Also considering going with one of the SuSu options:

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/even...edo-shirt/H598S.html?cgid=Eveningwear_Package

or

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/even...in-tuxedo/H501U.html?cgid=Eveningwear_Package

Pretty blown away by SuSu. Ended up ordering the first option, since they only had two in stock and have free shipping and returns. Ordered a little after 1PM yesterday, and it arrived this morning. Fit is perfect for me. One of the best fitting shirts I own.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Seeing as I benefited a great deal from reading this thread, questions answered, feedback and advice given, I thought I'd share some photos from the big day.

Budapest! I was just there. Beautiful city. Congratulations on your matrimonial bliss, you look great.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations @conceptual 4est on the upcoming wedding. Congratulations @AdductorMagnus on the big day. Great clothes and photos.

snocones

Reaction score
@conceptual 4est Congrats on your engagement! I am a wedding DJ and I have worked several events at the Bronx Zoo before; it is a fun venue. I find it to be a little more casual than a traditional banquet hall.

Since you will likely be taking portraits with your photographer all over the zoos grounds, I don't agree with the opera pumps suggested by another user. I would sooner go with a dress brogue or more practical shoe. A shell cordovan boot could also be a fun choice. You will likely be walking through grass, dirt, mud, and mulch as you take your photos, so consider that.

Also, there are several free roaming peacocks that live at the zoo. One male in particular hangs out right by the ceremony area next to the Rhino house. If he happens to be in his spot as the ceremony begins, you will have a new member in your wedding party. I remember one wedding where the peacock was strutting, squawking, and displaying his plumage behind the bridesmaids for the duration of the ceremony. Could happen to you as well!

kimster7

Reaction score
Hi, long time lurker here, really appreciate all the comments and advice on this forum, you guys are awesome.

Getting married later this year, it's a South Asian wedding (not super formal) and the bride will be wearing a red dress with gold embroidery and dark blue accents. I have decided on a dark blue/navy Suit Supply suit along with dark chilli park avenues and matching belt. I am confused a little bit about the shirt/tie/pocket square combination given the non-white dress my wife will be wearing.

Need advice regarding:

1. Shirt - White seems to be the most preferred option and I am leaning towards it but open to other ideas if they match well with the recommended tie and pocket square.

2. Tie - Totally lost here... what tie color/pattern to complement my wife's non-white dress?

3. Pocket square - totally lost here too... what pocket square to complete the overall outfit (based on the tie that is recommended)?

Thanks in advance to all those who respond.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White shirt. White linen pocket square. I'd still go with a traditional wedding tie. Do not match anything to your wife's dress (a flower, if you must). And congratulations.

Note that I am not an expert on wedding etiquette outside of Western countries.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spectacular. Switching from flawless morning wear or evening wear? Sensational!

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. Yeah I switched to white tie for the reception.

You should post more shots of the evening rig...it looks sensational. :slayer:

Were both suits purchased, and if so were they bespoke?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads