• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OFFICIAL THREAD: General Cookery and Discussion

WestLinn

Reaction score
As someone who loves walnuts, I always feel disappointed by pasta with walnuts. I don't know why. Maybe I expect too much.
Pinenuts are an alternative, but pricey. I could go with slivered almonds too.

WestLinn

Reaction score
View attachment 2210907
the blueberry hedge is paying . this is the chez panisse cobbler recipe but we used buttermilk and added lemon zest .
A very nice cobbler but I cued in on the pan, is that a pampered chef? If so, Warren Buffet thanks you.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pinenuts are an alternative, but pricey. I could go with slivered almonds too.
Costco sells a giant bag of pinenuts for like 12. I will never finish this bag. On top of that the Kirkland pesto is pretty good. At that price for the amount plus compared to what other store brands taste like it is absurd. No it isn't the best pesto but for dressing up sandwiches salads or putting on a Tuesday pasta night or you have a gf who loves pesto more than you it is phenomenal.

brokencycle

Reaction score
. No it isn't the best pesto but for dressing up sandwiches salads or putting on a Tuesday pasta night or you have a gf who loves pesto more than you it is phenomenal.
Lol like you'll ever know

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What I don't get is why the only place you can get decent Pesto is Costco. Outside of specialty stores, all of the other store bought pestos are downright awful. They are like sad shelf-stable bottles that cost $$$ for a tiny quantity that looks awful and tastes bland AF.
shopping

Maybe sometimes you'll see something better in a refrigerated endcap, but you never know when it will be stocked, it probably won't be that good (often those are creamy or some other BS), and it will be $10 for a 4oz tub.

And then Costco just constantly has shelves full of big jars of refrigerated bright green pesto.

It may not be the best pesto ever, but it is good enough that it stops me from ever bothering to make my own and ends up being by far the most common pasta sauce in our household. I know it uses mostly sunflower oil with just a dash of olive oil for flavoring, but otherwise it uses fresh basil, parmesan, pecorino, and actual pine nuts.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Costco sells a giant bag of pinenuts for like 12. I will never finish this bag. On top of that the Kirkland pesto is pretty good. At that price for the amount plus compared to what other store brands taste like it is absurd. No it isn't the best pesto but for dressing up sandwiches salads or putting on a Tuesday pasta night or you have a gf who loves pesto more than you it is phenomenal.

fresh is easy enough to make , I doubt i'd ever go for jar pesto . maybe we'll sub walnuts next time ...

for potlucks sometimes we do a pesto cheesecake dip it's pretty good .

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What I don't get is why the only place you can get decent Pesto is Costco. Outside of specialty stores, all of the other store bought pestos are downright awful. They are like sad shelf-stable bottles that cost $$$ for a tiny quantity that looks awful and tastes bland AF.
shopping

Maybe sometimes you'll see something better in a refrigerated endcap, but you never know when it will be stocked, it probably won't be that good (often those are creamy or some other BS), and it will be $10 for a 4oz tub.

And then Costco just constantly has shelves full of big jars of refrigerated bright green pesto.

It may not be the best pesto ever, but it is good enough that it stops me from ever bothering to make my own and ends up being by far the most common pasta sauce in our household. I know it uses mostly sunflower oil with just a dash of olive oil for flavoring, but otherwise it uses fresh basil, parmesan, pecorino, and actual pine nuts.
They all have that odd musty acrid flavor.

WestLinn

Reaction score
fresh is easy enough to make , I doubt i'd ever go for jar pesto . maybe we'll sub walnuts next time ...

for potlucks sometimes we do a pesto cheesecake dip it's pretty good .
According to the wonks on my YouTube feed, it is properly made using a mortar and pestle, use of a blender is forboden. No specifications were given on what the mortar and pestle must be made of however, but I'm sure there are some out there that specify that it be made from some granite from a thousand year old quarry in Italy.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
NGL, the Costco pesto is passable and we buy it a few times a year, but what I make after harvesting a bunch of basil from our herb garden is light years better.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NGL, the dispensary stuff is passable and we buy it a few times a year, but what I get after harvesting a bunch of weed from our “herb” garden is light years better.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the wonks on my YouTube feed, it is properly made using a mortar and pestle, use of a blender is forboden. No specifications were given on what the mortar and pestle must be made of however, but I'm sure there are some out there that specify that it be made from some granite from a thousand year old quarry in Italy.

I found ours , it's been awhile ngl .

tried it out on some toasted almonds

20240708_192244 (1).jpg

I can see ( well , smell ) the benefit of smushing things to release aromatics ... this one is a bit small , prob good for odd spices

Featured Sponsor

"Movie Stills" Challenge: VOTE

• PSB

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Clouseau

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Kaplan

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Calypso

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Lupin 3

Votes: 6 18.8%