• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you finish the season?
Overall, it's a pretty big disappointment.
Casting sucks, most of the acting is real mediocre, script is real mediocre.
It's pretty to look at ( sets/landscape, not the women ), and I wanted to see it brought to the screen.
The bish of it is, apparently the show runner is a psychotic fan of the books, yet he's completely effed it all up.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The bish of it is, apparently the show runner is a psychotic fan of the books, yet he's completely effed it all up.
Showrunner doesn't have any influence over the writer apparently. Moiraine stilled? Nynaeve dies and Egwene revives her? lolol

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In interviews with him, he sure talks like he has total control.
I meant it more tongue in cheek, as the plot sometimes goes totally against the books (Mat goes back to Shadar Logoth?)

Have to give them props for Lan though - absolutely perfect casting (Moiraine is solid too)

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I meant it more tongue in cheek, as the plot sometimes goes totally against the books (Mat goes back to Shadar Logoth?)

Have to give them props for Lan though - absolutely perfect casting (Moiraine is solid too)
Moiraine was great casting, given that they went with an older cast top to bottom.
Lan I like on the show, but to me in the books he's a big granite faced He-Man kind of guy, not a Samurai type. But I really have no problem there.
Perrin and Rand are some of the most wooden actors I've ever seen. The best of the three was Matt, and he's gone.
I think the guy from the Witcher they're bringing in will be good though. He'll definitely bring more of Matt's book-smart assy humor in.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Moiraine was great casting, given that they went with an older cast top to bottom.
Lan I like on the show, but to me in the books he's a big granite faced He-Man kind of guy, not a Samurai type. But I really have no problem there.
Perrin and Rand are some of the most wooden actors I've ever seen. The best of the three was Matt, and he's gone.
I think the guy from the Witcher they're bringing in will be good though. He'll definitely bring more of Matt's book-smart assy humor in.
Perrin is...not good.

Looks like they started filming S2 in the summer.... so too early to make any changes from viewer feedback. RIP

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perrin is...not good.

Looks like they started filming S2 in the summer.... so too early to make any changes from viewer feedback. RIP
I agree, but he's got nothing to work with. The script is....not good. The changes in the story seem arbitrary at best. There seems to be little rhyme or reason, unless it's grrrl power.

Why is the dragon reborn?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree, but he's got nothing to work with. The script is....not good. The changes in the story seem arbitrary at best. There seems to be little rhyme or reason, unless it's grrrl power.
I’d understand if they were basing it off a short story/not much source material, but even the first book is ~600 pages long. There’s no reason to be making up random stuff

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d understand if they were basing it off a short story/not much source material, but even the first book is ~600 pages long. There’s no reason to be making up random stuff
Exactly...
I understand you have to cut some stuff going to tv, but there's no reason to make wholesale changes to the story when you have an established road map that sold like a billion books.
It's the whole reason the series was green-lit. Because the books were so popular.

dicks

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Exactly...
I understand you have to cut some stuff going to tv, but there's no reason to make wholesale changes to the story when you have an established road map that sold like a billion books.
It's the whole reason the series was green-lit. Because the books were so popular.

dicks
Well. No reason to make wholesale changes to the early books. The later ones got so messy that Sanderson basically had to spend 800 pages killing off characters so that he wouldn't have to resolve those plotlines lol.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone watching Witcher season 2?

I'm a couple episodes in and enjoying it more than Season 1. The narrative isn't needlessly confusing like Season 1.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone watching Witcher season 2?

I'm a couple episodes in and enjoying it more than Season 1. The narrative isn't needlessly confusing like Season 1.
We finished watching it last week. I thought it was really enjoyable. I liked how the show acknowledged the confusing multiple timelines in the first season in the conversation between Jaskier and that guard on the dock (critiquing Jaskier's songwriting but really talking about Season 1).

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly...

dicks
I will never, ever, understand why this happens so often in book adaptations.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will never, ever, understand why this happens so often in book adaptations.

Screenwriters be like "Look daddy, I'm a real writer now!"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads