• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been kind of burnt out on the constant stream of Marvel films and decided to wait for the Blu Ray on Black Panther, but everyone I know who saw it loved the film. I think Wojt might be the first time I've heard it called mediocre. So that's surprising.

Do plan to see Infinity War in theaters. :)

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah it was mediocre, but for other reasons than trope of white saviour...
When Tom put on the full samurai gear I started laughing out loud in the theater. People were looking at me like wtf.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah when it comes to samurai movies Ran and Harakiri were a bit above level of Last Samurai :D still the movie was not that bad, just nothing special

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rotten tomatoes itself said the user reviews for the last jedi weren't done by bots. But who cares what they say, eh?

“We have several teams of security, network, and social database experts who constantly monitor reviews and ratings to ensure that they are genuine,” Benson said. “They haven’t seen anything unusual with The Last Jedi, except that there has been an uptick in the number of written user reviews submitted. Aside from that, everything is normal and we don’t see any unusual activity. We looked at The Last Jedi compared to other blockbusters and it has been consistent with those past films.”

One widely circulated story about an anonymous individual who runs the Facebook page “Down With Disney’s Treatment of Franchises and its Fanboys” claims that this person created bots to manipulate the Rotten Tomatoes score. But Benson and other company reps I spoke to dismissed such claims as nonsense. Although anyone can post whatever they want on the site in the effort to drive ratings either up or down, Rotten Tomatoes has nearly two decades experience at identifying and controlling for such efforts to push the scores in one direction or another.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcai...audience-score-is-100-authentic/#46aa6ee64231

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tech companies have a fantastic track record of being up front and honest about issues relating to their platforms. We should take RT's word at 100% face value despite all the signs pointing otherwise.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tech companies have a fantastic track record of being up front and honest about issues relating to their platforms. We should take RT's word at 100% face value despite all the signs pointing otherwise.
He takes the word of police officers at 100% face value. Why would you be surprised by this?

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How disingenuous of you.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe there is enough evidence pointing towards bots being used, but even if non where it doesn't matter. Let's say all those duplicate low ratings and trollish reviews where done manually by hand by people. It doesn't change the fact that the overall RT shouldn't be taken for face value.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Here's an interesting point from this guy:

It seems as if Johnson and LucasFilm forgot that Rey isn’t concerned with who her parents are. We are. The audience cares about who her family is. Rey cares about when they’ll come back, and what happened to them. The film confuses the audience’s questions with the characters’ questions.

I think that represents the larger reasons why I didn't get lost in this movie. The story seems like it was written to prove a point, rather than to entertain.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure what his point really is as the film answered both Rey's question of when they are coming back and the audience's question of who they were. The answer to both is in the video I posted showing that it was Rey who said they were "nobody" not Kylo.

They were nobody special who sold her off and are dead. Not coming back.

The question of how she is so strong in the force is being answered in the narrative that the force is awakening in many people. Not just those with bloodlines from previous films.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rotten tomatoes itself said the user reviews for the last jedi weren't done by bots. But who cares what they say, eh?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcai...audience-score-is-100-authentic/#46aa6ee64231

RT are hardly likely to turn around and say their site is open to manipulation and therefore pointless.

There is certainly evidence that there were organised groups of insecure boys downvoting the movie, whether they used bots or not. Manipulation of votes by groups with a political agenda is hardly new news.

The majority of the negative reviews come from new accounts rather than existing reviewers as well - not evidence of manipulation but arguably indicative. You only have to read the reviews and their is far more concern about the film daring to have strong female characters than any legitimate concern.

Personally I enjoyed the film and thought it was overall a strong entry (much better than the last five releases) but I accept there are flaws.

Here's an interesting point from this guy:

I think that represents the larger reasons why I didn't get lost in this movie. The story seems like it was written to prove a point, rather than to entertain.

I agree that her concern over who her parents were was heavy-handed but I didn't feel that undermined it's entertainment value, but fair point.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why would Rey care if her parents are somebody or nobody?

It's a common enough plotline that it has it's own TV Tropes page. Hell, it was part of the plot of ANH. Luke identifies with his father the lost hero even though he never knew him.

I imagine most people are somewhat invested in their parent's status. If you're an orphan with no knowledge of your parents, envisioning them as some kind of lost hero is escapism, that you just need to discover your parent's background and your own status will be raised.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You only have to read the reviews and their is far more concern about the film daring to have strong female characters than any legitimate concern..

I agree that's why Alien, Aliens and Terminator are so universally hated films.

That's why people hate Cercei and Brienne on GOT as well. Nothing to do with Rey being a bland character, bad writing and pushing an agenda. Just misogyny.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Did I miss the point in the movie where Rey wants her parents to be somebody, as opposed to just wanting them to be with her?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads