• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They need to do the Timothy Zahn trilogy into movies.

Just bought this. I actually hated all 6 star wars movies, love the Clone Wars TV series, and have enjoyed most of the books I've read. So I am excited.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just bought this. I actually hated all 6 star wars movies, love the Clone Wars TV series, and have enjoyed most of the books I've read. So I am excited.

You hated all the movies and still bothered to read the books? I can't imagine wanting to read extended universe fiction for a sci-fi series I disliked.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think they have said explicitly that the stories will be new.

So no Thrawn (even though that seems like it would be the best choice for current fans).

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think they have said explicitly that the stories will be new.

So no Thrawn (even though that seems like it would be the best choice for current fans).

That's my understanding too. What will be interesting is if the stories they tell conflict with the Extended Universe. Right now Thrawn is "canon," but we could well see that get washed away depending on where they take these new movies.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You hated all the movies and still bothered to read the books? I can't imagine wanting to read extended universe fiction for a sci-fi series I disliked.

Maybe "hated" was a strong word. I don't hold them up as some panacea of science fiction that uber nerds do. I wasn't around to appreciate how supposedly innovative Star Wars is, and I find the story kind of droll in the movies. I don't mind learning about the extended universe through the novels, though. They do a much better job of characters, plot management, etc. than movies do. Like I said, I don't mind the universe: the Clone Wars TV series goes into decent depth on some of the stuff, and I have watched every episode (at least twice).

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Fake posters, but still cool.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those are amazing.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's my understanding too. What will be interesting is if the stories they tell conflict with the Extended Universe. Right now Thrawn is "canon," but we could well see that get washed away depending on where they take these new movies.

I can't see how it won't conflict.

They have to break some storylines if they want to do something different.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did they actually say it was going to be set after the original trilogy?

It seems like the most well known Star Wars characters they could still put in a movie (Darth Vader, the Emperor, Yoda) would all be wasted if that was the case.

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A Rumor, This Is: Disney’s first ‘Star Wars’ spinoff film will center on Yoda

"Yoda: Jedi Master" has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? Or maybe just "The Jedi Master."

Well, before it can have a title, it has to actually exist, and for now a stand-alone "Star Wars" film that puts the powerful pint-sized denizen of Dagobah front and center is just the latest rumor to come out of a galaxy far, far away (well, not that far anymore -- it's now at Disneyland, after all).

Ain't It Cool News first brought word that Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy might be doing a lot more than just having secret meetings with J.J. Abrams as she's apparently in the early stages of what Disney does best: milking a brand for all it's worth. Sure, Abrams is going to be directing "Episode VII," but there's more than just a new "Star Wars" trilogy in store -- we're going to be getting a bunch of spinoff films as well, and if Zack Snyder's rumored (and since denied) Jedi-centric riff on "Seven Samurai" isn't going to be the first one out of the gate, then maybe a Yoda movie will be.

Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger has since confirmed in an interiew with CNBC that the studio is indeed planning a series of stand-alone character-based "Star Wars" films that will be separate from the new trilogy. Lawrence Kasdan, who penned "The Empire Strikes Back and "Return of the Jedi," and Simon Kinberg, who just wrote "X-Men: Days of Future Past" for director Bryan Singer, are currently hard at work on the spinoff projects, though of course there's no word on which characters will be involved.

AICN reports that the Yoda film is top priority, though there are currently no plot details to speak of (our guess would be it's an origin story -- actually, how about "Begin, Yoda Shall" as a title?). Disney declined to comment on whether a Yoda-centered spinoff is in the works.
Other possible spinoff films include one that focuses on Jabba the Hutt (potentially the "Goodfellas" of the "Star Wars" universe?) that was apparently pitched by George Lucas himself -- and let's not forget that Joe Johnston, who's in good with Disney after directing "Captain America: The First Avenger," once expressed his desire to call the shots on a movie featuring everyone's favorite bounty hunter, Boba Fett.

Let's not get too carried away, though ... and hope that Disney doesn't, either. "Star Wars" is not "The Avengers." Making a bunch of spinoff movies along with a new trilogy could very well make the Death Star explode before it's fully operational. Maybe it's best to see how it goes with "Episode VII" and evaluate from there, guys? We know you're excited about your new playset but you don't want to wear it out when it's still barely out of the box.

As always, approach these rumors with caution, young Padawans.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"getting a bunch of spinoff films as well, and if Zack Snyder's rumored (and since denied) Jedi-centric riff on "Seven Samurai" isn't going to be the first one out of the gate, then maybe a Yoda movie will be."

Might as well. That hack Lucas ripped off Hidden Fortress to make Star Wars, so might as well continue plundering from more talented dead directors.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Did they actually say it was going to be set after the original trilogy?

It seems like the most well known Star Wars characters they could still put in a movie (Darth Vader, the Emperor, Yoda) would all be wasted if that was the case.

Yes, they are to be direct sequels to the original trilogy. New villains will obviously have to be introduced unless they figure out how to resurrect the Emperor or something.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New Star Wars Stand-Alone Films to Follow Boba Fett and Young Han Solo

Less than 24 hours after Walt Disney Pictures officially confirmed plans to develop stand-alone feature films in the Star Wars universe, EW is reporting that they have learned which two characters the first two projects will focus on: Boba Fett and a young Han Solo.

Plans for the Solo film call for it to take place in the time between the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy. No plot details have been revealed, but it's a near-certainty that a brand new actor would have to step in to play everyone's favorite scruffy looking Nerf-herder.

The adventures of Han Solo pre-A New Hope was actually the focus of one of the earliest Star Wars novels, 1979's "Han Solo at Star's End", set two years before the events of the 1977 film.

The Boba Fett film, meanwhile, would be set between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back and would follow the bounty hunter on an intergalactic adventure.

Both of the the films (of which Lawrence Kasdan is said to be writing one and Simon Kinberg writing the other) are tentatively planned to see release sometime after 2015 when J.J. Abrams' Episode VII is planned to hit theaters.

Previous rumors called for a stand-alone film to follow the adventures of Yoda, but that has not yet been confirmed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads