• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So does Mr Porter tend to do an additional price drop? I feel like I've seen them go from 50% to 70 or 80%? I'm holding out on a few things which are only at 30% right now...

yup, but you take the risk someone takes your size. This strategy works best if you're pretty sure you wouldn't want the item at 30%.

Aviv

Reaction score
yup, but you take the risk someone takes your size. This strategy works best if you're pretty sure you wouldn't want the item at 30%.

Yup I hear that. I'm taking a bit of a gamble but I feel confident my size will remain. It's been a few days now and I'm guessing by the weekend they drop the prices more.

mythage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want it now and it's on sale, buy it

If you want it for cheaper, someone else might buy it before you

If you manage to buy it for cheaper, then give yourself a pat on the back for being lucky/quick/resourceful/diligent. If you want to watch this thread like a hawk, subscribe to shops' newsletters, follow their twitters/instagrams, and check your phone every fifteen minutes for updates, then maybe you deserve to be rewarded with steeper discounts

Be aware that items on steep discount can disappear from your checkout cart in minutes or even seconds

Usually all shops will do steeper discounts up to a point

We usually don't know when exactly discounts happen

Good luck

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^To add to that, to a certain point I just say forget it and look towards next season (SS17 pre-orders etc.) It gets tiring/boring having to refresh all my tabs daily. In the end I am just chasing a number it feels and I want to buy things i really want rather than it being on sale.

Last edited:

MrPorterBot

Reaction score
If you want it now and it's on sale, buy it

If you want it for cheaper, someone else might buy it before you

If you manage to buy it for cheaper, then give yourself a pat on the back for being lucky/quick/resourceful/diligent. If you want to watch this thread like a hawk, subscribe to shops' newsletters, follow their twitters/instagrams, and check your phone every fifteen minutes for updates, then maybe you deserve to be rewarded with steeper discounts

Be aware that items on steep discount can disappear from your checkout cart in minutes or even seconds

Usually all shops will do steeper discounts up to a point

We usually don't know when exactly discounts happen

Good luck

One more option for the US is credit card price drop protection

https://www.citipricerewind.com/

I'm planning on using this with Mr Porter for the first time this year.
i've used return protection before successfully, they even let me keep the item

Gabujabu

Reaction score
So does Mr Porter tend to do an additional price drop? I feel like I've seen them go from 50% to 70 or 80%? I'm holding out on a few things which are only at 30% right now...

My experience with Mr. Porter has been that more classic/popular/permanent collection pieces rarely make it past 30%. However, seasonal items and atypical sizes can sometimes make it to 70-80%. Of course, it is more likely to sell out if only 1-2 items remain.

Jackie S

Reaction score
Definitely will never purchase from END again. They listed the wrong colour of some Margiela GATS and would only take the return is shipped at my cost (=$US 66). Were terrible at getting back to me and acknowledging their error. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

buzzlulu

Reaction score
Definitely will never purchase from END again. They listed the wrong colour of some Margiela GATS and would only take the return is shipped at my cost (=$US 66). Were terrible at getting back to me and acknowledging their error. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

The answer is simple. Contact your credit card company and suspend the charge. Reason - ordered one item and received something completely different. It is END's responsibility to correct THEIR ERROR. Don't pay - it really is quite easy

curiouscharles

Reaction score

Definitely will never purchase from END again. They listed the wrong colour of some Margiela GATS and would only take the return is shipped at my cost (=$US 66).  Were terrible at getting back to me and acknowledging their error.  Avoid, avoid, avoid.

UGH, supper annoying.

same thing happened to me with Antonioli last year, ordered an Ann hooded jacket [at full price, no less], arrived, paid hundreds in duties [expected] opened the box - and it's a freaking shirt, a SHIRT.

not at ALL the same item.

so i was out hundreds of dollars in duties, and had to pay to ship the item back myself.

barely so much as an apology, and honestly nothing to make up for the heinous error.

suffice to say, **** them, never buying there again.

[side note - a simply apology / honest and sincere admission of error is all it would have taken to keep me as a client, it's all i ask]

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any sales on Zero Halliburton slim line brief cases? Also, looking for deals on Mason Pearson hairbrushes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads