• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official new iPhone 4

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/13/an-...=Google+Reader
An American iPhone In Paris MG Siegler
aa1.png
For the past 10 days, I’ve been in Paris. A few of us were there to cover the LeWeb conference, which was great, but I decided to stick around for a little while longer as I heard the city is amazing. Spoiler alert: it is. But I wasn’t on vacation, I was working. I had all my tech with me — including the best travel computer ever, the new MacBook Air, and even this thing. And, of course, my iPhone. But there was something peculiar about my iPhone in Paris. It actually worked. Like it was supposed to. All the time. And it doesn’t take a genius to figure out why: there is no AT&T in Paris. Since the initial launch of the iPhone in 2007, there have been no shortage of whispers implying that the iPhone itself is to blame for the coverage issues users are having with AT&T in the United States. There are even some compelling arguments as to why this could be at least somewhat true in certain circumstances. But all of those go out the window when you travel to a foreign country and the device just starts working as it should. And this is hardly the first time I’ve experienced this. Back in April, I was in Japan for a little over three weeks. I was floored by how well the iPhone worked there. But I wasn’t sure that it was fair to compare it to the networks in the U.S. because I hardly saw any smartphones, let alone iPhones, anywhere in the entire country (apparently, that’s now changing). But in Paris, the iPhone is everywhere. It seemed as if every other person I passed on the street had one. Those that didn’t, seemed to have BlackBerrys. And again, the coverage was beautiful. The coverage was so good, in fact, that the iPhone worked on the subway in Paris. Yes, I could both place calls and surf the web while underground. Considering I haven’t been able to hold a call above ground in San Francisco for about 2 years now, this is truly amazing. The only times I would hit dead zones in Paris seemed to be when the iPhone was switching me from one carrier to another. And it appeared to do this automatically based on signal strength. The result was a tight blanket of coverage. Again, as opposed to the blanket that AT&T provides in the Bay Area which often seems like it has more holes than cloth. Earlier today, I arrived back in San Francisco. The first call I placed? Dropped. I then walked around my neighborhood for a bit using my favorite app: “Searching…” I was about ready to get back on the plane and go back. Well, if it didn’t cost me $1 per megabyte of data usage there (for the international rip-off, er, I mean, roaming plan compliments of yes, AT&T). But there’s hope. When the iPhone launched in 2007 in France it was also exclusive to one carrier: Orange. This exclusivity was eliminated in 2009 as Bouygues Telecom and SFR got to join the fun. The result was that sales of the device more than doubled. But even as the country saw this rapid expansion of the iPhone and its heavy data usage, the network didn’t cripple. Undoubtedly, because the load could be spread across all those different carriers’ spectrums. That’s what many of us are hoping will happen if and when the iPhone comes to Verizon and/or some of the other U.S. carriers early next year. Of course, none of us will be able to hop from carrier to carrier as I was in Paris. The iPhone will undoubtedly still be locked down to whatever carrier you buy it on here. Plus, the fact that current GSM iPhones won’t work with Verizon’s current CDMA network means you will still have to choose. Still, if AT&T is able to offload some of the iPhone weight in major metropolitan cities to Verizon (something which seems likely), there’s reason to hope the coverage will improve for the iPhone across the board. It can work. I’ve seen it with my own two eyes and heard it with my own two ears. On a subway, no less.

ad_infinitum

Reaction score
Horrible phone, awesome computer. Phone call quality sucks, everyone tells me I sound like I am on the speakerphone all the time. Same with couple of other friends. I have never dropped as many phone calls with my old sony ericsson in three years as I did with Iphone 4 in the first month. Same carrier.

Otherwise, It works and looks beautiful. Yes, for some reason I keep buying apple products even though they have major flaws. At least they are pretty and have some awesome design features.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Never quite understood the hype behind the antenna flaw, as I've never seen an iphone 4 outside of a case...
Perhaps you've seen a circular logic?
smile.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Had no problems at all with mine; no reception issues, good phone quality, etc.

Never quite understood the hype behind the antenna flaw, as I've never seen an iphone 4 outside of a case...

7 months, no case, no problems everything is gravy

best phone i've ever had will never buy another nokia, motorola, se, etc again

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Canadian carriers? Phone is dying and I want a fun new toy, but I'm really hesitant about getting it through the backdoor from Bell again.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then why go with Bell? All Canadian carriers offer plans for the iPhone (Bell, Rogers, Telus, Fido, Virgin, etc.)

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Precisely why I was asking - if anyone had any experience with any other carrier regarding rates, plans, experiences regarding tech support, etc.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A forum of (mostly) Americans isn't the best place to find out. Just ask your friends and co-workers.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
thanks much for the link.
No problem. If you come up with an answer you should post it here in case someone else ends up with the same issue.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for a nice, 100% leather case for my iphone 4, my leather guy isn't interested. It should be something slim and one where the entire phone comes out of the case, like a pocket.

Bonus points for SF affiliates.

Thanks in advance

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads