• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took the "Fender is a Fender" advice to heart and used Reverb for the first time.

IMG_0475.JPG

2013 PGS-exclusive Total Tone '63 Light Relic in Fiesta Red. Whole different animal from any Strat I've previously played.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The GAS continues w/ some Strymons this morning. Big Sky and Brigadier.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a day of drinking, I saw a PRS Custom 22 on craigslist for an insanely low price ($1000) and emailed the guy saying I'll take it. Upon further sober consideration today and consulting with others, my skepticism about the deal grew. I asked for a few more photos to confirm and yeah, clearly a fake. Whew. Crisis averted.

Now I really want a PRS though.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People are faking PRS? How does that happen?

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People are faking PRS? How does that happen?

Yup.

Here's an album of the fake: http://imgur.com/a/zG9Nl

The first two images are what I saw. The thought of a fake PRS never even occurred to me last night, but upon waking I realized that headstock decal looked off. It sort of looked like the Modern Eagle decal yet it was advertised as a Custom 22. Some others then brought attention to the lack of maple cap in the lower cutaway and the strange positioning of the knobs.

I asked for more photos after that and then the guy sent me those headstock shots where it's easy to tell it's fake.

Last edited:

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally did a refret on my old Les Paul and it was totally worth it. Now I want to refret everything!

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did you go for? Stainless frets?

I just went for Stew Mac tall frets. I really just like the extra height these days, especially on a Les Paul where you should be able to vibrato and hold a note forever.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
interesting. i'm just now exploring my recent es339 and it's got shockingly tall square frets. just really blocky feeling. i'm keeping an open mind but i may have to think about getting them dressed down after all

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you get rid of the stupid binding nibs?

I don't think you can keep the nibs if you refret. That's usually the way to tell if an LP has original frets, no?

I think fret size is totally dependent on the type of music you play. I imagine if you played jazz, a fretless wonder would be ideal for you.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can keep the nibs if you refret. That's usually the way to tell if an LP has original frets, no?

I think fret size is totally dependent on the type of music you play. I imagine if you played jazz, a fretless wonder would be ideal for you.

Some extremely pedantic techs take steps to retain the nibs. It's insane becuase they're bloody annoying IME.

Fretless wonder can actually be surprisingly playable. You can't bend much though.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i wouldn't think so. I just assume players of any genre just like what they like.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting rid of the nubs would be the best part of a refret in my opinion.

I just saw Guns N Roses perform tonight. They put on an amazing show. They played 3.5 hours long also. Time to tune my LP down to Eb and learn some GnR songs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics