• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's going to be a great time. My parents purchased week badges for the one in Louisville in 2008 and gave them to my best friend and me for 3 days (two practice rounds and one competition day). We had a great time. The practice rounds were the best practice rounds I've been to other than Augusta. Have fun.

Interesting thing this go around. Each application for tickets had to be accompanied by a name and a passport-type photo. I think that each ticket will only be valid for a specific person. Will be interesting to see how much that gets enforced but it also means that if something comes up and I can't go I may be out $800.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

how was augusta? any tips for me?
Augusta is without question the most beautiful golf course I've ever seen. It's in unbelievably good condition. I walked 7 holes before I ever saw a divot. I'd recommend finding a group without anyone particularly popular in it and follow them around. If you want to see Tiger or any of the more popular guys you'll just have to set yourself up in the spot you're most likely to see them on each hole, but you probably won't find yourself in a particularly good position to see them play an entire hole.

Don't make the mistake that we made and assume that the groups are going to play a full 18 holes on Wednesday. I think most of the groups only played 9 holes on Wednesday + the par 3 tournament.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting thing this go around. Each application for tickets had to be accompanied by a name and a passport-type photo. I think that each ticket will only be valid for a specific person. Will be interesting to see how much that gets enforced but it also means that if something comes up and I can't go I may be out $800.
That's really strange. Hopefully it's just an anti-fraud thing on the purchasing side. It would really be a shame to essentially restrict attendance to the few people who are in a position to take a full week off work to watch a golf tournament.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's really strange. Hopefully it's just an anti-fraud thing on the purchasing side. It would really be a shame to essentially restrict attendance to the few people who are in a position to take a full week off work to watch a golf tournament.

Well, you weren't restricted to just buying full week passes. You got 3 requests and then they gave you the highest thing you requested based on the lottery and what was available IIRC. In other words if your number 1 request was full week badges but when your name came up in the lottery they were all gone, theyd look to your 2nd request and see if those were available. You could request full week passes, or single day tickets, or whatever. What you couldn't do was put in a request for half a dozen tickets under one name. Each one was for a specific person.

Last edited:

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd recommend finding a group without anyone particularly popular in it and follow them around.

I would second that recommendation. Watching a practice round there is more about experiencing the course, which is best achieved by walking the grounds. Watching on Thursday to Sunday is more about experiencing the tournament and competition, and I'd recommend approaching it differently. Finding a few spots to hang-out for a couple hours where you can see a scoreboard and have quick access to the concession stand is the way to do it. If you're in your 20s or like looking at 20-something and younger southern girls, then the hill at 6 is good. Otherwise, I like the stands by the 15 green, where you have a view of 16 and a scoreboard.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I just saw the rates for Pebble Beach... not happening haha. Not a big enough golf enthusiast to make that trip worth it.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Okay, so I just saw the rates for Pebble Beach... not happening haha. Not a big enough golf enthusiast to make that trip worth it.

In 1995 I went to Carmel on vacation for 2 weeks. I decided before we went that I was going to play Pebble. At that time the rate was $250, but that was in 1995 dollars. The most I'd ever paid to play a round of golf before that was about $50 (which seemed outrageous at the time). I had no money, but decided to suck it up. I played 3 rounds of golf during that two week period: $250 (including cart...no caddies available) to play Pebble; $175 plus $50 caddie fee to play Spyglass and $26 to play Pacific Grove Municipal.

I've spent the last 18 years relishing the memories from my one chance to play Pebble/Spyglass and have never for a moment missed the $500 it cost me to play them.

PG Municipal is a cool little course, by the way.

Last edited:

supplychainman

Reaction score
Has anyone here used Hopkins or any of the other customized wedge makers? I am thinking about going with Hopkins to get some new 52, 56, and 60 wedges.

cwh812

Reaction score

Has anyone here used Hopkins or any of the other customized wedge makers? I am thinking about going with Hopkins to get some new 52, 56, and 60 wedges.

That's funny you ask. I was watching the PGA Championship with my golfing buddy and we asked who buys this stuff when their commercial came on. Seems like a cool concept, but everyone I know sticks to the major OEM's. If tour guys were using it I think it might get some traction, but I'm not going to try some club I've never seen nor know a single person who uses it.

supplychainman

Reaction score
That's funny you ask. I was watching the PGA Championship with my golfing buddy and we asked who buys this stuff when their commercial came on. Seems like a cool concept, but everyone I know sticks to the major OEM's. If tour guys were using it I think it might get some traction, but I'm not going to try some club I've never seen nor know a single person who uses it.
I might get one and try it out and report back. Only $100 for 1? I think thats worth it to try. I think a reason no one uses it yet is that they opened shop the last week in June. Certainly have credibility off of Hopkins history of club making with Cleveland golf.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any reccomendations for golf pants?

Maide Golf (by Bonobos) seem to have some cool options, if slightly pricey.

I got some Uniqlo Dry pants in a fun pattern that are great for golf. $45 for the pants and hemming the length. Very slim and tapered.

Otherwise get some sale golf pants from a sporting goods or TJ Maxx type place and get them tailored to suit your needs.

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, sir. I like the Uniqlo offerings, but the US online store seems to be out of stock most of the time. I have two pair of Bonobos pants, the Acey Ducey and Sandtraps. They're OK. Haven't tried the Maide line. I tried the Puma Tech pants and Under Armour Bent Grass. They're both full rise. I must admit that I've gotten used to pants that sit a little below the waist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads