• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

cwh812

Reaction score

Eliminating scores worse than bogey is the key for shooting in the 70s on a regular basis. Combination of practice and using your head.

Thanks - Definitely agree. I've had rounds where I had 8 pars, 1 birdie and like 6 doubles/triples. The problem is that when I get into trouble usually I don't use my head well to get out of it.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks - Definitely agree. I've had rounds where I had 8 pars, 1 birdie and like 6 doubles/triples. The problem is that when I get into trouble usually I don't use my head well to get out of it.

Shortgame is the key. I've shot 73 with 2 greens in regulation, and 3 fairways when I was in my prime. These days my swing is better, as I'm not tinkering anymore, but my short game is non existent due to lack of practice, high 70s is the result.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to vent a little as a defense mechanism before it gets worse as I assume some (or most) around here has had similar experience...

I am a legit 11-12 hndcp but the last 2 rounds has been a disaster. 104 and 101 !!! . Don't know what happen but I believe I started over analyzing, being too technical and all that swing ****, rather than just go out and play so to speak..I mean I have a couple of really nasty shankydoodles off a par 3 and chipping as well. I take pride on my short game as I am not bomber and can hit it relatively straight (favors the fade). My strength are around the greens.

It was embarrassing to a point that my playing partners/friend are beginning to feel bad knowing It was a struggle. Note that my final score reflects a grinding round and I tried to post the best possible and legitimate score.

I hate/love this effin game and I am looking forward to my next round soon. Fooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreee !!! :)

Last edited:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Between being busy with work, socially, and a European vacation, I haven't hit a golf ball in almost a month.

Golfing this weekend is going to be supremely frustrating... Hopefully a bucket of balls tonight will help things a tad.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need to vent a little as a defense mechanism before it gets worse as I assume some (or most) around here has had similar experience...

I am a legit 11-12 hndcp but the last 2 rounds has been a disaster. 104 and 101 !!! . Don't know what happen but I believe I started over analyzing, being too technical and all that swing ****, rather than just go out and play so to speak..I mean I have a couple of really nasty shankydoodles off a par 3 and chipping as well. I take pride on my short game as I am not bomber and can hit it relatively straight (favors the fade). My strength are around the greens.

It was embarrassing to a point that my playing partners/friend are beginning to feel bad knowing It was a struggle. Note that my final score reflects a grinding round and I tried to post the best possible and legitimate score.

I hate/love this effin game and I am looking forward to my next round soon. Fooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreee !!! :)

One bad round: Forget it.
Two bad rounds: Hit the range.
Three bad rounds: go see a professional.

Schwazer

Reaction score

Sometimes staying away from golf for a little while can help clear the mind for when you start to play again.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watching the PGA now and I wish they would assign people to follow each group around and pick out these "baba booey" yelling motherfuckers and castrate them on the spot.

Last edited:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit the course cold after a month of not swinging. Wasn't my best round but it was a semi respectable 88. I had two blow up holes, a LOT of putts that rimmed out of the cup (lost three birds that way), and constant scrambling from a driver that had trouble staying in fairways. I feel pretty good that this was as bad as it got for me after that much time away. I'm playing again next weekend with some friends so I'm gunning for some improvements.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One month isn't that bad. I returned to the game after a four month hiatus. You'd have thought I'd never played golf before. Glad to hear you're getting back to it.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just found out that I got selected to be able to buy tickets to the 2014 Ryder Cup matches at Gleneagles next year. A buddy of mine who I played high school golf with are going over together. Sadly I got picked for an entire week badge, but he only got picked for a Sunday ticket. I think he's still going, but maybe not for the whole week like I am. Perhaps he can still score tickets elsewhere.

Excited though. Should be a great trip.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Dude, Mark from Plano? I was starting to think Plano had just been swallowed up into the earth, or hit by the zombie apocalypse.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just found out that I got selected to be able to buy tickets to the 2014 Ryder Cup matches at Gleneagles next year.

sweet. i got picked for a masters practice round next year.

would have been amazing to get a weekend ticket for $75!!! :slayer:

Last edited:

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just found out that I got selected to be able to buy tickets to the 2014 Ryder Cup matches at Gleneagles next year. A buddy of mine who I played high school golf with are going over together. Sadly I got picked for an entire week badge, but he only got picked for a Sunday ticket. I think he's still going, but maybe not for the whole week like I am. Perhaps he can still score tickets elsewhere.

Excited though. Should be a great trip.
It's going to be a great time. My parents purchased week badges for the one in Louisville in 2008 and gave them to my best friend and me for 3 days (two practice rounds and one competition day). We had a great time. The practice rounds were the best practice rounds I've been to other than Augusta. Have fun.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Dude, Mark from Plano? I was starting to think Plano had just been swallowed up into the earth, or hit by the zombie apocalypse.

Actually, it was both. ;)

I've been around, just lurking more than posting lately.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads