• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Playing Thursday with my dad :slayer:

Nice.

I got a Cleveland TL310 in 8.5* (I always launch very high) with an upgraded Miyazaki Kusala Black shaft in x-stiff and I've been absolutely hammering the ball my first day on the range with it. The first 20 swings with it were amazing, then I got tired since I went after the gym and I started to lose my form about 90 balls deep (warm up starting at PW through 3i). Really looking forward to hitting the course with it.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Jayhawk1412

Reaction score
I just picked up a new TaylorMade hybrid #4, it is the Burner Superfast series with the white club head.

I've golfed my whole life, but I've never hit a club like I've hit this one.

No matter what I do with my swing, this thing goes straight as an arrow, around 220 yards every single time.

It is like $150 bucks at every golf store right now, and I highly recommend it as well as the whole series of hybrids.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just picked up a new TaylorMade hybrid #4, it is the Burner Superfast series with the white club head.
I've golfed my whole life, but I've never hit a club like I've hit this one.
No matter what I do with my swing, this thing goes straight as an arrow, around 220 yards every single time.
It is like $150 bucks at every golf store right now, and I highly recommend it as well as the whole series of hybrids.

I can't get into hybrids. I hit my 3-5i just fine. Nice ball flight, lands softly and stays put when I want it to.

However I only hit my 3i about 215-220. 4i is around 205=210, at the current 60* temps and no elevation change.

I'll get some more length as the temps rise and I get my swings in.

Last edited:

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't get into hybrids. I hit my 3-5i just fine. Nice ball flight, lands softly and stays put when I want it to.
However I only hit my 3i about 215-220. 4i is around 205=210, at the current 60* temps and no elevation change.
I'll get some more length as the temps rise and I get my swings in.

I've played with a 15 degree hybrid for a while now, which was to replace my three wood. Quite love the thing, distance is almost equal but I can hit it out of most crap...

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never hopped on the hybrid bandwagon. Just don't really need them. I play a 2-pw and on a majority of the courses I play after a tee shot I won't need anything over a 6iron.

I really like smoking my 2 iron when I don't need the distance of my driver off the tee.

Talk to me about wedges. I really want to replace my 56 Black Nickel Vokey.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah so I am done with golf for a while. Hit well over 100 couldn't do anything right, probably some of the worst I've played. I just gave up after a 10 on the 8th (started on 10).

Also add golf to the huge list of things I hate doing with people. Played on my own for the back 9, took maybe 2 hours, probably more like 90 minutes. Hit the front 9 get stuck with a threesome, foursomes ahead and three hours later (plus 30 minutes waiting for the groups to tee off) we're still not done.

Basically that's it. Instead of playing I will get some lessons.

The end.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah so I am done with golf for a while. Hit well over 100 couldn't do anything right, probably some of the worst I've played. I just gave up after a 10 on the 8th (started on 10).
Also add golf to the huge list of things I hate doing with people. Played on my own for the back 9, took maybe 2 hours, probably more like 90 minutes. Hit the front 9 get stuck with a threesome, foursomes ahead and three hours later (plus 30 minutes waiting for the groups to tee off) we're still not done.
Basically that's it. Instead of playing I will get some lessons.
The end.

Probably good to take a break, take your mind off of the frustration, and lessons are never a bad thing. Also, since it's early in the season people are itching to get out and play, hence long waits being a reality. Sucks. I have yet to hit a course this season...

I rarely play LONG courses where I need much more than a well struck 3i after my tee shot. If I'm in the **** and 250+ yards out from the hole, I just lay up with a safe iron shot than try to fish around with hitting my fairway wood out of the trouble.

There was a super cute girl in the stall next to mine at the range at Chelsea Piers. I recognized her from a previous visit last year because she's a cute, petite, asian (half?) girl and remembered her clubs/bag. She was taking a break on the bench behind our stalls and said "nice shot" to a 7i that landed on the fake green 180 yards out. I had my earbuds and music on and barely heard her. Looked up sorta confused as I was piecing together what she said and just muttered "thanks". I was not prepared to strike up a conversation at the range... ed level fail right there.... :embar:

Last edited:

david3558

Reaction score
Apologies for breaking up the discourse here but are there any fellow Bay Area (specifically South Bay) golfers? I'm a transplant looking to find a decent driving range near San Jose/ Palo Alto to get some practice in.

And - on the topic of hybrids, I can't get enough - love them.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I lost my golf bag in my move. Not sure what happened or if it got stolen or if I'll find it at my brother's house or something in a few months. But I had to go get new clubs. It was a pain **********, but I may play tomorrow with the new set as I have a work-related outing on Monday at a very nice club and don't want to make an ass of myself.

I bought:

TM Burner Superfast 1- and 3-woods
Callaway X-something or the other irons, 4-SW
A cheap 60-degree wedge (TM also)
Odyssey mallet putter
And a bag

I got a halfway decent deal. We'll see if I can hit these things.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I lost my golf bag in my move. Not sure what happened or if it got stolen or if I'll find it at my brother's house or something in a few months. But I had to go get new clubs. It was a pain **********, but I may play tomorrow with the new set as I have a work-related outing on Monday at a very nice club and don't want to make an ass of myself.
I bought:
TM Burner Superfast 1- and 3-woods
Callaway X-something or the other irons, 4-SW
A cheap 60-degree wedge (TM also)
Odyssey mallet putter
And a bag
I got a halfway decent deal. We'll see if I can hit these things.

Usually I like to hit at least 200 balls with a new set before hitting a course. I've already hit over 2000 balls at the range this year and haven't made it to a course yet. Though I plan on getting 36 holes in this weekend.

TM Burner Superfast 2.0? X22 irons (not the X-Forged right? I wouldn't mind those :D)?

I LOVE the Cleveland forged 588 wedges. I need to get a 56* and 52* to replace my current cleveland 900's which are losing their grooves.

What were your previous sticks?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I went to the course on Saturday and they had the Bridgestone guys there doing ball fittings with all of their equipment. They measure your swing speed, launch angle, spin on both axes, ball speed etc; I'm sure some of you have done this type of thing before but this was a first for me (never been in front of a launch monitor, trackman, simulator etc).

Anyways I was very curious because I had been using some TM Burner LDP balls I got from lostballs for real cheap but wasn't terribly enamored with the performance. To start they take measurements based on the old ball, normalize over 3-4 swings and then try a ball (Bridgestone of course, though they have others to compare to as well) that better fits your game and style of swing. They gave me a e7 ball which is a lower priced than their "tour ball" but high compression enough that would maximize driver feel and distance.

My swing speeds all somehow stayed withing .1 mph of 124.8 mph, but my ball speed increased from 165 to 170, launch angle dropped from 13.5* (I ALWAYS launch high, even with a low kick x-stiff shaft and 8.5* head) to 12.3*, and backspin decreased from 2900 to 2450 rpm. The guy gave me half a dozen balls and I bought another dozen from the pro shop for only $27 and have played them 36 holes so far and have been impressed with the better feel off the driver. My irons seem to chew up the covers more so than the Burners but that's a small price to pay. They could have better feel off the putter but the short irons seem to do fine in spring time courses. I'm sure when the summer dries the greens out I'll want some more bite.

Definitely going to look into other high compression balls to see what works well. It was quite eye opening and if you guys ever get a chance to do a ball fitting, please do. It will give you a better idea on how you can maximize based on your swing; though be sure to try the comparable balls from other manufacturers afterward too.

With the soft fairways and cooler temps I was getting GPS verified drives (little elevation change) I was getting drives from 280-290. Very pleased. If only my mid irons would act the way I wanted...need more practice on the course; the range only helps so much.

Last edited:

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've been recommending iron fittings and ball fittings for anyone who is serious about lowering their scores in golf... it's probably the best thing you can do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads