• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're confusing pacing, which means how fast narrative developments are occurring on the film itself as presented to the audience, with plotting, which is just whether something makes any sense in the narrative. They're almost completely independent of each other, though the show is just doing a terrible job with both.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not confused.

I'm saying that the two are related, possibly because they cut out a bunch of elements that might have drawn the story together in a fluid manner, and may have done so without requiring everyone to have access to a teleportation device.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you say so. But I don't buy it. People don't have to be able to travel thousands of miles in a day to push a narrative ahead. You just have to be able to come up with a better story.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20915396_1020940078008695_1537055529789881136_n.jpg

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen it discussed but I feel like part of the problem making the season feel rushed could be salary. There is a large ensemble cast with many actors who were relatively unknown and now they can command a much higher salary per episode, and many of them are anxious to capitalize on their newfound bankability in other projects, so the pace of the early seasons would not be possible. Still doesn't explain the gaping plot holes though.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't seen it discussed but I feel like part of the problem making the season feel rushed could be salary. There is a large ensemble cast with many actors who were relatively unknown and now they can command a much higher salary per episode, and many of them are anxious to capitalize on their newfound bankability in other projects, so the pace of the early seasons would not be possible. Still doesn't explain the gaping plot holes though.
True

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that's only half the story--they couldn't come up with a satisfactory resolution for most of the plot threads, so they're just rushing through with a bunch of action garbage and are hoping the audience is too distracted to question it.

That's my theory, anyway.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's only half the story--they couldn't come up with a satisfactory resolution for most of the plot threads, so they're just rushing through with a bunch of action garbage and are hoping the audience is too distracted to question it.

That's my theory, anyway.

For once, I'm actually agreeing with Ataturk. At least the action shots have the dragons in action which is cool to see but the plot holes are pretty big this season.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Then there's the "how could you not like this? Stop picking it apart and enjoy!" crowd. The problem is that I'm not trying to pick it apart. I'm not looking for plot holes. It just strains credibility for Dany to get there so fast, or for Jon to survive falling into a frozen lake and riding back to the wall with heavy frozen winter clothes on.

And although the dialogue has gotten better as the season progressed, there are still plenty of cringeworthy moments.

The show has turned into pop-fantasy. I didn't get into the show for that. I got into it because despite the fantasy setting, it had a realistic feel, and the geopolitical storylines were intriguing. There were no nick-of-time heroics to save Ned, or Robb, or Catelyn. That's the show I enjoyed, not the one with Uncle Benjen suddenly showing up out of nowhere to save Jon.

Hopefully GRRM manages to finish the books. I'm not holding my breath.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My biggest complaint had been that it is impossible for a man in full plate armor falling into deepwater to survive, so Jaimie should be dead. But, apparently, that isn't true. There is video of some guy testing it and a fit, composed person can actually swim a bit. So maybe you can survive hypothermia, too

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just a quibble, but "full" plate armor (which the people in the show should have but never seem to after the first couple episodes) actually looks like this:

220px-Italian_-_Sallet_-_Walters_51580.jpg

For whatever reason, in the show Jamie only wears armor above his waist and below his neck.

Still, I doubt he could swim half a mile underwater while wearing it.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a quibble, but "full" plate armor (which the people in the show should have but never seem to after the first couple episodes) actually looks like this:

220px-Italian_-_Sallet_-_Walters_51580.jpg

For whatever reason, in the show Jamie only wears armor above his waist and below his neck.

Also you would not wear full plate all the time, but in most cases just put in on before battle. When marching ect would maybe wear mail and breastplate, becasue why the hell you would wear fullplate all time?! Jaime does wear full plate when he iskings guard it would be reasonable to expect them to be in armor all time when on duty, rest situations - NO

Still, I doubt he could swim half a mile underwater while wearing it.

it was very common to wear reduced armor, with not all the components of plate, stop whining please

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads