• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with Filson's soy wax material, but I wouldn't consider their tin cloth to necessarily be the gold standard. Though I love it still, my Tin Cruiser has been patched & rewaxed so many times it's approaching Theseus Paradox territory. I've only had it four years, so I find these claims of decades of use to be baffling. Perhaps it's the imported cotton fabric that's to blame?

Tin cloth isn't what it used to be. The Tin Cloth hunting pants used to be able to stand up on their own.

Anymore not so much. Good news is that there is nothing like well worn and duct taped Filson Tin to tell the Orvis crowd no need to apply for membership. Any Barbour item would be shredded in a lot less time with the same use.

dukerules

Reaction score
I have no experience with Filson's soy wax material, but I wouldn't consider their tin cloth to necessarily be the gold standard. Though I love it still, my Tin Cruiser has been patched & rewaxed so many times it's approaching Theseus Paradox territory. I've only had it four years, so I find these claims of decades of use to be baffling. Perhaps it's the imported cotton fabric that's to blame?

That's insane. I have a tin cloth Cruiser that's lived 40% of the life of yours, and while it's starting to break in, it's nothing like yours.

Junglejack

Reaction score
Added a Boiled Wool Seattle Cruiser this week in spite of needing another Cruiser like a hole in my head. However, at $144 on clearance down from $300 (originally 495) at STP, I just could not resist.

As others have alluded to, it is somewhat stiff. That said, I am quite confident that once broken in it will be pretty rad. Really like the navy color with the olive Alaskan Guide Shirt fabric lining.

I still think my favorite Cruiser is the camo/otter green Seattle Cruiser made of Yukon Wool that was briefly available prior to Filson renaming the Seattle Fit Cruiser simply the Mackinaw Cruiser Seattle Fit.

broken_oracle

Reaction score
I wear a 40L suit, bought a size 40 mackinaw vest some years ago. There's definitely room for layering beneath - if you'll be wearing it outdoors in truly cold parts of the country, as I do, that's probably a good idea. If not, and you'll just have it over a normal shirt (& undershirt?), I'd definitely go one size down.

ijung

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! I'm in the most temperate province in Canada, so I'll probably size down.

Last edited:

globalroamer

Reaction score
What is the best way to shop for Filson's backpacks in Europe ? I want to order it online and ship it to my place.
Also some stylish / same better quality alternatives ?

Thanks

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
EDIT - SOLD!!!

Hey guys, thought since you're all Filson fans here I'd offer something pretty interesting. Here's a luggage tag for bags, totes, etc. Brand new with tags. Retail is $42 with shipping. I dunno, gimme say $25 plus $5 shipping for a total of $30 to anywhere in North America and it's yours. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited:

Hunk

Reaction score

My experience with a Filson Tin Jacket have been the same: I bought it in March 2015 and I love it so much that I wore it nearly every day on my way to work, on business trips and so on. Although I rewaxed it twice, it is showing a lot of wear on the ends of the sleeves. My theory is that the imported canvas fabric is crap. I own a (completely US-made) Filson Light Western Vest that I bought two years ago. I wear it all winter, spring and fall. Compared to the tin cloth (and also compared to every other wool item I own), Filson's Mackinaw wool seems indistructable.
(Still, I guess the jacket wouldn't look as beat if I didn't like it that much.)

Hunk

Reaction score
Tin cloth isn't what it used to be. The Tin Cloth hunting pants used to be able to stand up on their own.

Anymore not so much. Good news is that there is nothing like well worn and duct taped Filson Tin to tell the Orvis crowd no need to apply for membership. Any Barbour item would be shredded in a lot less time with the same use.
Cold Iron is absolutely right about the durability of a Barbour: I own an Ashridge, a Military Field Jacket and they both look way worse than the Tin Jacket, after less than half the wear time. (And half the love... )

Hunk

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is good idea to size down for the mackinaw wool vest? The description says it is a classic fit and roomy for layering. Thanks.

http://www.filson.com/men/vests/mackinaw-wool-vest-alaska-fit.html#220

I wouldn't size down without comparing it to your normal size. Filson tends to be true to size, but roomy in the waist and belly. I had sized down a vestern vest and it was too small in the shoulder area of the back. I exchanged for my normal size and had a tailor make it more narrow in the waist for a few bucks.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't size down without comparing it to your normal size. Filson tends to be true to size, but roomy in the waist and belly. I had sized down a vestern vest and it was too small in the shoulder area of the back. I exchanged for my normal size and had a tailor make it more narrow in the waist for a few bucks.

I don['t really like the term true to size because it's a bit ambiguous.

In some brands I am a medium and in some I am a small. My Filson jackets and vest are all size small. I don't have a Mackinaw vest though.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don['t really like the term true to size because it's a bit ambiguous.

In some brands I am a medium and in some I am a small. My Filson jackets and vest are all size small. I don't have a Mackinaw vest though.

agreed. my experience with Filson tops is that all of their stuff fits big, regardless. I own both color variants of the cascade flannel and had to size down to a medium. I normally wear a large in most other brands but with Filson I was swimming in a large. The cascade shirt is in the Seattle fit which is supposed to be more fitted. A rep from Filson told me to go with a large but luckily I listened to a different vendor that sold the cascade shirt who recommended a medium. I also own the tin cloth short cruiser but for that one I wear a large. It fits fine but has a little bit of room for layering.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm digging my Scout watch (black Horwern strap). I got a great price on it (discounted lower than current price) from Sierra Trading Post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads