• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Webbo

Reaction score
So I may be an oddball, but I actually find the 2298 to be slightly too narrow in the toe box if I go down a full size, which means I wear different sizes in the 2298, 4497S, and 4444. For me, it's this:

Brannock - 9US
2298 - 8.5 UK
4497S - 8 UK
4444 - 7.5 UK

If I put on a pair of 2298s in size 8UK in the morning, they feel just about right, but by the ned of the day, after my feet have swollen, they're cramped and uncomfortable.

I’m in a similar boat, 2298 is half a size smaller for me if I try to take my 4444 or 4497 size 10. I need to have a 10.5 in 2298 because of toe box narrowness

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Anybody order from Matches during the sales? Got two Woodstocks and one Burford, two deer and one kudu, same size as my fav Burfords. All are exactly 1/8 an inch narrower. Now I have to wonder if Matches got the overseas sizing for some reason or if mine are marked incorrectly...

Just curious if anybody had a similar experience. Seems unlikely.

You could always peel back the heel liner to see the actual UK size and last.

Cooly

Reaction score
Got the Division Road CXL Roger Derbies today ... sized them the same as my Barrie size and they fit about right ... my larger foot fits perfectly if not a tad bit snug in the toe and my slightly smaller foot a bit looser (as always) but thinking as they loosen up they should feel fine... surprised by the weight of the shoe ( first pair of Trickers) ..anyway ..aesthetically just what I was looking for...

I’ve read I’m not supposed to polish CXL correct? Any special care tips?

5CA8D91D-2F39-48C6-AC60-97F0374086DC.jpeg

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Got the Division Road CXL Roger Derbies today ... sized them the same as my Barrie size and they fit about right ... my larger foot fits perfectly if not a tad bit snug in the toe and my slightly smaller foot a bit looser (as always) but thinking as they loosen up it feel fine... surprised by the weight of the shoe ( first pair of Trickers) ..anyway ..aesthetically just what I was looking for...

View attachment 1082005
Lovely. I’ve not got any cxl but I think you can leave them to go dull and pick up a few scratches or use a horse hair brush which redistributes the oils and make a nice shine independent of oils etc. Just what I’ve read though!

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got the Division Road CXL Roger Derbies today ... sized them the same as my Barrie size and they fit about right ... my larger foot fits perfectly if not a tad bit snug in the toe and my slightly smaller foot a bit looser (as always) but thinking as they loosen up they should feel fine... surprised by the weight of the shoe ( first pair of Trickers) ..anyway ..aesthetically just what I was looking for...

View attachment 1082005

Love those, really nice colour.

CXL doesn’t need polishing, most scuffs etc can be rubbed out just with your finger or with a good brushing. I think generally the idea is that they build up a patina with colour variations through wear.

You can condition CXL once in a while if it dries out a bit. Just a general conditioner such as Lexol, saphir creme universelle etc should do the job.

CXL can withstand plenty of abuse.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EE040533-DDAB-42E7-A141-A8AA03372A75.jpeg

11944835-EB1C-4A99-9A19-2B0275CE5E23.jpeg

Not CXL but I had these iron rangers in a pull up leather and they got lots of variation in colour as well as picking up some indigo from my jeans. They had been thoroughly brushed before this photo.

Sold them as they were big solid boots but I didn’t find them very good in winter as no tread and the cold seemed to get through soles easily. Also I got some Coniston so decided I didn’t need them.

Do miss them a bit. The leather was really nice and very thick.

Cooly

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions...very familiar with the Red Wing Iron Rangers and BlackSmiths ...I use mink oil on them. Doubt I'll use that on the CXLs...I saw some cool photos with some people just buffing CXL....will try that first...

First day wearing the Roberts...very substantial sole...very rigid (almost like breaking in a pair of red wings)...but after a day and a half of wearing...already starting to mold a bit to my feet and not making that "splat splat splat" sound with every step :) ... already got some complements this morning on them...I guess they are noticeably nice...

Last edited:

Kiwijohn

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions...very familiar with the Red Wing Iron Rangers and BlackSmiths ...I use mink oil on them. Doubt I'll use that on the CXLs...I saw some cool photos with some people just buffing CXL....will try that first...

First day wearing the Roberts...very substantial sole...very rigid (almost like breaking in a bear a red wings)...but after a day and a half of wearing...already starting to mold a bit to my feet and not making that "splat splat splat" sound with every step :) ... already got some complements this morning on them...I guess they are noticeably nice...
Would quite like a pair too, but too expensive with duty etc to send here.
Nice to get complements on shoes. I’ve had 3 complements wearing my newish Woodstock Suede kudus. (Ok, 2 were family, the other was a patient at work)

Rimaarts

Reaction score
Finally got my 150£ order from a fine pair of shoes. Ordered la cordonnerie anglaise and trickers shoe trees plus a ton of Saphir products...

To be fair, boot shoe tree is not worth 20£ premium for stows or lambourn Chelsea... But its damn near perfect for loake kempton!
Trickers shoe trees is the way to go for trickers shoes... For stows and lambourn to me they fit true to size.

And in case someone is wondering.... perfect match for trickers beachnut lambourn boots is cognac Saphir creme.

Got myself saphir crepe brush for suede and Saphir horsehair brush... And I'm confused! I'm used to kivi brushes, and in comparison Saphir brush is SO SOFT! I can't get cream off the shoe if I managed to put too much on... Kivi brush does that no problem... And when I put more pressure on Saphir brush, it seemed to loose couple strands of hair.... :/ Any recommendations for harder brush?

Still need to learn proper way to use crepe brush... Brushed my chocolate chukkas, and brush got a bit chocolate colour on it .. guess I was a bit too hard!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads