• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, no I’ve never met a farmer in person only through someone else.

Yeah, I’ll make sure they dry slowly but had to tap dry them with kitchen roll a little so all the water wasn’t sitting there :)

Yes there’s more or less no chance a farmer would use any care products on his boots in my experience.

I’m yet to meet a farmer with Trickers although they were originally intended for farmers/landowners etc.

All of the farmers boots i’ve seen look like they’re held together by mud!

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d agree with Craftys advice on nourishing roughly every 6 months and would add that regular brushing with a horsehair brush is a good idea to stop dust and dirt build up.

Try to get right into the welt as well, dust and dirt can accumulate there.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Yes there’s more or less no chance a farmer would use any care products on his boots in my experience.

I’m yet to meet a farmer with Trickers although they were originally intended for farmers/landowners etc.

All of the farmers boots i’ve seen look like they’re held together by mud!
Most popular boot of choice is a dealer boot (Chelsea boot). RM Williams a popular option but most are generic work brands.

Cooly

Reaction score
Anyone with experience with the Trickers "Robert" shoe US to UK conversion? If I am a 9.5US what would I be in UK? Trickers sizing guide says I would be 9, but I was expecting to go down a full size like usually do in UK sizes...so was curious what others experience was...

Phalanx

Reaction score
Been wearing my Burfords for about 2 weeks now and I'm feeling like it might be time to throw the towel in; these boots are killing me.

I've got pretty severe knee pain now and the soles of my feet are tender and raw. I'm convinced that below the insole is solid wood because I don't think it'll ever change shape.

They're leather soled instead of dainite but man, I just can't see how these shoes will ever get comfy. Anyone had any luck with Burfords?

biglmbass

Reaction score
They're leather soled instead of dainite but man, I just can't see how these shoes will ever get comfy. Anyone had any luck with Burfords?

No, but my only pair of Tricker's on leather sole remain unworn. You're making me wonder what kind of time I'll have... (??)

Sorry for your troubles. Have you reached out to Tricker's (email or DM via Instagram) to see what if any advice they can offer?

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone with experience with the Trickers "Robert" shoe US to UK conversion? If I am a 9.5US what would I be in UK? Trickers sizing guide says I would be 9, but I was expecting to go down a full size like usually do in UK sizes...so was curious what others experience was...

So I may be an oddball, but I actually find the 2298 to be slightly too narrow in the toe box if I go down a full size, which means I wear different sizes in the 2298, 4497S, and 4444. For me, it's this:

Brannock - 9US
2298 - 8.5 UK
4497S - 8 UK
4444 - 7.5 UK

If I put on a pair of 2298s in size 8UK in the morning, they feel just about right, but by the ned of the day, after my feet have swollen, they're cramped and uncomfortable.

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been wearing my Burfords for about 2 weeks now and I'm feeling like it might be time to throw the towel in; these boots are killing me.

I've got pretty severe knee pain now and the soles of my feet are tender and raw. I'm convinced that below the insole is solid wood because I don't think it'll ever change shape.

Doesn’t sound right. I have a pair of Woodstock with leather soles. I must say, when I first started with them, I wondered why you get people that choose a leather sole. Crunch, crunch, crunch, on every little stone. But after a couple of weeks, I’m starting to enjoy them. Currently experimenting, wearing a pair of Woodstock and Church’s Shannon (rubber sole) twice each week to see which I prefer after 6 months or so. Also I’m looking to see which sole will be the first to fail.

Cooly

Reaction score
Last edited:

NorthCoast

Reaction score
So I may be an oddball, but I actually find the 2298 to be slightly too narrow in the toe box if I go down a full size, which means I wear different sizes in the 2298, 4497S, and 4444. For me, it's this:

Brannock - 9US
2298 - 8.5 UK
4497S - 8 UK
4444 - 7.5 UK

If I put on a pair of 2298s in size 8UK in the morning, they feel just about right, but by the ned of the day, after my feet have swollen, they're cramped and uncomfortable.

I've been eyeing some 4444 for some time so I find this interesting.

I was fitted in Trickers shop and as a 12C I found your first two conversions right on. I did NOT try on a pair of 4444 though.

planetarium

Reaction score
Anybody order from Matches during the sales? Got two Woodstocks and one Burford, two deer and one kudu, same size as my fav Burfords. All are exactly 1/8 an inch narrower. Now I have to wonder if Matches got the overseas sizing for some reason or if mine are marked incorrectly...

Just curious if anybody had a similar experience. Seems unlikely.

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody order from Matches during the sales? Got two Woodstocks and one Burford, two deer and one kudu, same size as my fav Burfords. All are exactly 1/8 an inch narrower. Now I have to wonder if Matches got the overseas sizing for some reason or if mine are marked incorrectly...

Just curious if anybody had a similar experience. Seems unlikely.
Are the sales still on? I don’t recall getting an email notification with discount codes, etc..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads