• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

dranguschu

Reaction score

My pair of espressos came with a tin of Tricker's dark brown which is just rebranded Saphir.

Saphir reno isn't going to strip the color.
You really only need to worry about removing the burnishing when it's something like the Coffee burnished where they use some black over the lighter brown. But it's also easy enough to put it back on with some black polish.

Disagreed
Actually Saphir Reno has stripped off the brown color of my coffee burnished galosh

Magnakai

Reaction score
Two questions:

1. I tried on a UK size 9 pair of Tricker Maltons using their number 6 last - the wide one. They were definitely too big for me, at least half a size, but maybe a full size. I was thinking of trying the size 8s on the same last. They'll likely be a bit too small, but will they eventually stretch to accommodate my feet? Is this a silly idea?
  2. The ones I can buy have the commando sole, with quite substantial lugs. It's pretty impressive, but I'm going to be wearing them in urban environments 90% of the time. Is this a comfortable option?

CTBrummie

Reaction score

Disagreed
Actually Saphir Reno has stripped off the brown color of my coffee burnished galosh

Reno can be lethal to certain finishes. I wouldn't recommend using it as a regular conditioner at all - there's been a fairly extensive discussion on the subject on the shoe care thread on the Classic Menswear forum...

Two questions:

1. I tried on a UK size 9 pair of Tricker Maltons using their number 6 last - the wide one. They were definitely too big for me, at least half a size, but maybe a full size. I was thinking of trying the size 8s on the same last. They'll likely be a bit too small, but will they eventually stretch to accommodate my feet? Is this a silly idea?
  2. The ones I can buy have the commando sole, with quite substantial lugs. It's pretty impressive, but I'm going to be wearing them in urban environments 90% of the time. Is this a comfortable option?

They won't stretch that much. And comfort is subjective but commando soles aren't necessarily an uncomfortable option for walking in.

Magnakai

Reaction score
They won't stretch that much. And comfort is subjective but commando soles aren't necessarily an uncomfortable option for walking in.

So would you suggest making sure that they fit true and comfortably on first wear?

Would a plain or Dainite sole be better for urban wear?

Edit: here's a marked up image with the thoughts on my fit:

Last edited:

CTBrummie

Reaction score
Yes to your first point, and up to you on your second. There's no 'best' sole option to have as it's down to personal preference but some soles will be better in some conditions than others...

badeggcat

Reaction score
The commando sole is fine although you'll find that snow will build up in the 'grooves' of the sole and you'll be stamping your feet every half mile or so to clear the sole. Same as when walking over muddy ground, to be fair. Can't comment on the Vibram wedge though...

For my money, a Ridgeway or Medway sole is best for wintry conditions and forget about the studded Dainite sole as they're about as useful as a chocolate teapot in the winter...

That makes sense though I do wonder how warm the boots can be in snowy condition. Perhaps I'm better off getting a pair of dedicated snow boots but I'm rather reluctant to pony up for something that I'll use once in a blue moon.

So would you suggest making sure that they fit true and comfortably on first wear?

Would a plain or Dainite sole be better for urban wear?

Edit: here's a marked up image with the thoughts on my fit:

Are you able to get hold of a pair in UK 9, fitting 5? That might be a better fit for you

Magnakai

Reaction score
In theory, though I'd have to give up the substantial discount I could have the fitting 6s for. However, a well fitting £400 boot is most useful than a poorly fitting £300 boot.

Maxius

Reaction score
New to the forum here! Just wanted to thank all you contributors...was looking for some boots for this winter (in the UK) and came upon this forum, ended up setting my sights on getting some Trickers boots with Commando soles after all to positive comments, reviews and good looking photo shots.

Well low and behold I ended up purchasing four pairs of Trickers and couldn't be happier. I just can't get over how well made and comfortable they are, the wideness and thick soles must play a part here. i am truely chuffed to bits. Looks like I have got the bug and this will be a long lasting affair..

Last edited:

unipair guy

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That is a great looking collection!
nod[1].gif

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maxius

Welcome to the forum. The shoes look great. Thanks for sharing the pics. Enjoy the shoes! I haven't ventured into Trickers yet but have been eying the Stow on Commando.

Have a great weekend all

DuckOB

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

ErikW

Reaction score
Those aren't "real" Tricker's.
Note the orange label and they're made in Italy.

I'm not sure what the deal is with that line. You typically only see them from Italy based retailers.
Good catch! Didn't realize that there was another line.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads