• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a liddesdale heritage jacket and doubting about the fit.
The misses doesn't really like it, she rather sees a more modern slim fit short quilted jacket than the classic Liddesdale.

I always appreciate the story and history of a brand and therefore would like to stick with the Barbour jacket and I'm quite happy with the fit but I wonder what you think.

^That is the slimmest and shortest I'd go on a jacket. That looks like it fits you perfectly. The styling, however, is something that's up to you (and your missus). I personally like it.

dukerules

Reaction score
I celebrated my bedale's 18th birthday (Born in '97) this year with getting her back in wearable condition after riding the jacket pretty hard over the last few years. Since I got the jacket, I have sent it back to the factory 3-4 times and they always do a wonderful job (albeit at a high cost). I thought I would share a few pictures as when it was repaired this time, it came back with some different (non-original) hardware.

Restoration done over the years includes 12 patches, countless rewax, sleeves lengthened, leather cuffs, leather hem, new pocket, 6 new snaps, and a pair of new vent holes. To the posters wanting to artificially distress their wax jackets, my advice is to enjoy the newness as it will become much harder over the years to convince your wife for paying the repair costs (total repairs over the years on this one are probably over $500).

Absolutely beautiful! You can't fake that patina. Olive or sage?

jasperj

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts! I like the style of course. The misses says she liked the style but thought the fit was a bit too large and I disagree on that.

jasperj

Reaction score
Me too. She's wrong. You're right.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
fistbump.gif

jasperj

Reaction score
Whahaha funny story: because the misses thought it was a bit to large I decided to order one size smaller.
When receiving the smaller size I put on the smaller one and she was really happy and said I should take that one, I found it a bit to short.

Then I took it off and switched to the larger (on the photo) size without her knowing and asked again if she really thought this SMALLER one was better.
She looked again thinking i'm wearing the smaller one she liked better, and was completely enthusiastic and was convincing me to keep this one so I decided to stick with the plan to keep the one from the pictures, because I like it a lot and the misses was now convinced she liked it as well.
bigstar[1].gif

Last edited:

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whahaha funny story: because the misses thought it was a bit to large I decided to order one size smaller.
When receiving the smaller size I put on the smaller one and she was really happy and said I should take that one, I found it a bit to short.

Then I took it off and switched to the larger (on the photo) size without her knowing and asked again if she really thought this SMALLER one was better.
She looked again thinking i'm wearing the smaller one she liked better, and was completely enthusiastic and was convincing me to keep this one so I decided to stick with the plan to keep the one from the pictures, because I like it a lot and the misses was now convinced she liked it as well.
bigstar[1].gif

This is very amusing. Normally it is frowned upon to listen to internet strangers instead of your family, but I truly think you made the right decision in this case. Good work.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went into a Barbour store today and I was really underwhelmed. The selection was quite poor. Dept. B either hasn't been released yet or it's simply gone for good. The staff didn't have a clue what Dept. B was, much less To Ki To, yet they still had the Commander and pointed that out to me which has "Dept. B" sewn onto the pocket. They had the Land Rover collection which looks alright, but when I tried one on it was much more fitted than even the Commander. The one Triumph collection jacket I tried fit the same, though that was purposely washed/weathered so that might have affected the fit. The Triumph collection looks a replacement for the Steve McQueen. On top of that you still have the White Moutaineering collaboration which looks to have gone from quite bad to worse. Overall I really think Barbour has regressed in the last year or so. Nothing close to the To Ki To or Norton and Sons styles much less Dept. B.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the tacky Mojave flag patch on this jacket without ruining it? Looks like it's ironed on. Thanks.

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the tacky Mojave flag patch on this jacket without ruining it? Looks like it's ironed on. Thanks.

If it is ironed on, put your iron on the highest setting and iron the patch (with a piece of parchment paper between the iron and the garment/patch) for 10-15 seconds. This should heat p/loosen the glue holding the patch on. Stop ironing and quickly but carefully start removing the patch. The glue will cool quickly and you will have to repeat the above steps a few times to peel it off fully. May leave some residue.

If stitched on, buy a seam ripper on Amazon, they are like $5.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads