• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Ho
I wish I knew they stocked Barbour before I bought my Barbour Martindale from Sporting Life.
Oh well, still got me a good waxed, insulated jacket. Maybe a Bedale for next Fall.

How do you find the martindale? I've been thinking about one as a thicker alternative to the Beaufort, but I think I might miss the game pocket.

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score

Ho
How do you find the martindale? I've been thinking about one as a thicker alternative to the Beaufort, but I think I might miss the game pocket.

Well, it's thicker and decently insulated.
I have worn it with a button down and merino v-neck and scarf and taken my dogs for a walk in -15C and felt fine.
I like the game pocket of the Bedale but don't need one for commuting to work and such.

Funny a buddy of mine has a Bedale and just the other day we were out running our dogs, he wore his Bedale with the insulated vest and hood. Told me he spent over $600. The Martindale has a full insulated quilt lining, even the sleeves and it was $500.

Both great jackets.

Can't wait til mine breaks in some more.

huffer4

Reaction score
Got this from Sporting Life on Boxing day. Regular $995 for $298. Only one they had in stock (it was on a random rack) and my size. Couldn't resist.

Mine has an image of Steve Mcqueen riding a motorcycle on the inside, not the flag.

I also already have a Beaufort from the 70's that I got used from 69 Vintage for under $100. Such beautiful wear on it. Going to rewax it soon I think.

LaymanX

Reaction score

Well, that was a fun experience. I decided I didn't want to wait for international delivery and wanted instant gratification so I (foolishly) returned to Stollery's.

I walk in and am immediately beset by this stern looking middle aged Asian lady wearing caked on makeup.

I ask her for a Barbour international jacket in size 38. Without even blinking, she replies that they're sold out. I tell her that I saw two on the racks just yesterday.

She shrugs and says that she doesn't keep track of all the inventory in her department. I point to the massive storeroom at the back, filled with racks of Barbour jackets and ask if she can check in there quickly. She literally walks in, performs a perfunctory gaze and walks back out shaking her head. I walk over myself to the main racks and just find a size 38 sitting on the racks.

My next question... Is there a liner I can get for this too? She shakes her head and says that the coat doesn't support a liner. I point out the studs in the jacket meant for the liner and get another passing salesperson to confirm it takes a liner.

The dragonlady doesn't miss a beat. Oh but it would look silly with a liner anyways. You don't want it to look bulky right? I decide to concede on the liner and just want to pay for the jacket.

Naturally she tries to up sell me on every other type of Barbour jacket even more outrageously priced than the International.

Try the Sapper jacket! Its the one worn by James Bond in Sky fall! I don't bother to correct her.

All these jackets are proudly made in the USA nowadays, she claims... I point out the Made in Tunisia tag on my International. She says that's just bogus and some tax loophole by Barbour.

I kid you not... The entire encounter was a very awkward 20 minutes in which she must've spouted 30 different lies about Barbour.

God I hate my weakness and wished I had the patience to order online.

Just a reminder of what the SA's at Stollery's are like... :(

Last edited:

golfnutter66

Reaction score

Just a reminder of what the SA's at Stollery's are like... :(

My Strollery's encounter with a sales person was an eastern European lady that looked and behaved as if the Iron Curtain hadn't come down yet.

But, to my knowledge, east of Toronto there is no authorized retailer of Barbour, within Canada. So, I have little choice. Plus, some of these jackets as you know have very odd sizings that do not correspond with tags. In person fitting helps.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If anyone in the Toronto area is looking for a Commander jet you can get them here.
http://www.shopstollerys.com/Barbour-Commander-Jacket-MM06011197.htm

Last year the Stollerys at Yonge & Bloor had racks and racks of Barbour. Gloverall too. Glad to see they're still in business and carrying such great merchandise.

I wish I knew they stocked Barbour before I bought my Barbour Martindale from Sporting Life.
Oh well, still got me a good waxed, insulated jacket. Maybe a Bedale for next Fall.

They do have a great selection of jackets.However, they are out to lunch on pricing; 30% up from retail. Then they have "sales" of 30-40% off...:confused:

They are crooks and the SAs are on commission, but as others have said, we dont have other options. I want to pull the trigger on an International but hate that it has to be from Stollery's

Last edited:

LaymanX

Reaction score
Club Monaco (flagship location as well as Yorkdale) both carry Barbour. Although obviously their selection is not as varied as Stollery's.

jhwendland

Reaction score
They do have a great selection of jackets.However, they are out to lunch on pricing; 30% up from retail. They they have "sales" of 30-40% off...
confused.gif

They are crooks and the SAs are on commission, but as other have said, we dont have other options. I want to pull the trigger on an International but hate that is has to be from Stollery's
Why can't you just buy one online?

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why can't you just buy one online?

There is no reason why I can't. Except shipping to Canada is always expensive. Orvis wants 80 bucks, 40 from UnionMade etc.

It ends up being the same price after everything is said and done. I just wish i liked the store/people better.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Well, it's thicker and decently insulated.
I have worn it with a button down and merino v-neck and scarf and taken my dogs for a walk in -15C and felt fine.
I like the game pocket of the Bedale but don't need one for commuting to work and such.

Funny a buddy of mine has a Bedale and just the other day we were out running our dogs, he wore his Bedale with the insulated vest and hood. Told me he spent over $600. The Martindale has a full insulated quilt lining, even the sleeves and it was $500.

Both great jackets.

Can't wait til mine breaks in some more.

Thanks for this. Helps my decision. This month I picked up an older Gamefair, and a new Standen. Both are 6oz, and I love both, but I consider them fairly thin jackets.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for this. Helps my decision. This month I picked up an older Gamefair, and a new Standen. Both are 6oz, and I love both, but I consider them fairly thin jackets.

I've got an early 80's vintage gamefair, it's an awesome jacket. I re-waxed it last fall and now it's wind and water proof!!!

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score

No problem.
I think you will enjoy it. Especially if you have others.
This is my first and sadly I know it won't be my last.

Damnit this web forum is really killing my credit card. :)

Nakedsnake

Reaction score

No problem.
I think you will enjoy it. Especially if you have others.
This is my first and sadly I know it won't be my last.

Damnit this web forum is really killing my credit card. :)

Styleforum in general has been terrible for my credit haha. I'm sure you all can attest.

Any word on sizing on the martindale? I've got a 40" chest, and got a size large in a standen, which is a modern jacket of theirs. It's snug, especially around the shoulder. I'm looking for something not really baggy, but with room to layer a sweater or a vest.

doctorman

Reaction score
has anyone had any experience with the website www.cdatm.com?

it seems like they specialize in barbour with some incredible prices, which seem a bit too good to be true. i'd like to hear more if anyone has any experience with it.

thanks in advance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads