• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sports jacket does have lined sleeves.
I had the sleeves shortened which also included the sleeve lining so I don't have that problem. But I can see where the sleeve bunching could be a problem since they're pretty slim especially for a Barbour.

EJWX

Reaction score
Hey, I have a Barbour Ashby which I love, I think it might be the best jacket ever. I had a Barbour which I wore for about 20 years before it got to the stage last year when I realised I had to buy a new one. I ended up with the Ashby.

I am staring to wear it and it looks great. The sleeves are lined with some kind of nylon though, which I hate as I am very much a person who wears shirts with the sleeves rolled up.

Does anyone have experience of having the sleeve lining replaced? What would be a good material?

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have a Barbour Ashby which I love, I think it might be the best jacket ever. I had a Barbour which I wore for about 20 years before it got to the stage last year when I realised I had to buy a new one. I ended up with the Ashby.

I am staring to wear it and it looks great. The sleeves are lined with some kind of nylon though, which I hate as I am very much a person who wears shirts with the sleeves rolled up.

Does anyone have experience of having the sleeve lining replaced? What would be a good material?
I'm sure Barbour can replace it although it will probably cost you. Why not just get a Bedale?

EJWX

Reaction score
I'm sure Barbour can replace it although it will probably cost you. Why not just get a Bedale?
Because I have had this jacket for a year and I really like the way it looks, after wearing it for a year, screwing it up and leaving it in the boot of my car, letting the dog claw it and using it as a blanket on planes and trains. I don't want to start over again with a new jacket...

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because I have had this jacket for a year and I really like the way it looks, after wearing it for a year, screwing it up and leaving it in the boot of my car, letting the dog claw it and using it as a blanket on planes and trains. I don't want to start over again with a new jacket...
If you call Barbour they can give a quote as to how much to replace the sleeves. You might want to contact your local tailor and maybe they'll be able to do it cheaper but then you'll probably need to provide the fabric for the sleeves. Good luck!

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you call Barbour they can give a quote as to how much to replace the sleeves. You might want to contact your local tailor and maybe they'll be able to do it cheaper but then you'll probably need to provide the fabric for the sleeves. Good luck!

let us know. there's two things i hate about my ashby. olive (and not sage - i think sage wears better / more unique) and the sleeves. the sleeves are so synthetic and get so hot / muggy / sweaty.

they need to release a sage ashby with no poly!

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Barbour since ‘93.
Peep those breeches though..

E7A85AC2-4BF8-4BC8-A78D-7E4A4BA9EA64.jpeg

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a barely worn old-model (guessing late-90s/early 2000s) Sage Bedale with the old, uniform Tartan and no Barbour embroidery on the pocket. I've owned new-model sage and olive bedales and this thing blows them out of the water. Much heavier, denser... feels more solidly constructed. Anyone else have the same experience?

Smells terrible but oh well.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a barely worn old-model (guessing late-90s/early 2000s) Sage Bedale with the old, uniform Tartan and no Barbour embroidery on the pocket. I've owned new-model sage and olive bedales and this thing blows them out of the water. Much heavier, denser... feels more solidly constructed. Anyone else have the same experience?

Smells terrible but oh well.

Older Barbours are just better. Heavy duty everything, so amazing jackets.

New ones are still great though!

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed on both counts. Any tips for getting the crayon smell out? I don't mind it but am a bit self-conscious that others do.
That’s the wax, it’s such a great smell! But I understand, if worried I would recommend giving it a rewax.
Fresh wax doesn’t smell like the crayon you speak of, more of a “moist” smell.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... What would be a good material?

Cotton, I'd think. Something like the twill used in Aero leather jackets. They could tell you what type of material is used and I'd imagine it would work well as a liner.

Interesting project, look forward to hearing how it turns out.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First world problem: Goong to London and Brussels and deciding which jacket to bring as it’s going to be rainy and cool...

Bedale w/ liner vest
ToKiTo sports jacket
ToKiTo driving jacket
Northolt

I lean towards the Northolt to avoid needing to layer but worry it’s pretty heavy while I’m in and out of shops if I have to take it off...

vim147

Reaction score
What difference between the Ashby and the Bedale ?
They both look the same to me online.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn’t know if it was going to rain or shine today, so pulled out my A7 Brass just in case. Thrifted for £10, could swear it was new without tags.

1507D961-788C-44E6-87FF-0951A2753BD2.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads