• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC shopping & things to do advice in March

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff
There's no "h" in Williamsburg. Even if there was, it wouldn't be worth visiting.

Lah di dah.

Historically wrong, also, that's why there's an 'h' in the name of the Williamsburgh Savings Bank and other places.

Not so pretty do look at, but much to do here.

yours in the 11211,

mack

Presto87

Reaction score
Originally Posted by el Guapo WOngO!
(I wil be planning regular trips until my company can arrange a relocation from Sydney, AU - which will not be till this time next year).

Just curious, as I too am also hoping that one day I can arrange a relocation to NY from Sydney, instead of having to make a complete "fresh start" in a whole new city - what career are you in? Not sure if that's a personal question, that shouldn't be asked??
confused.gif

mr. magoo

Reaction score
As per thread title, what, where, why & should I do when I'm in NYC during the middle 2 weeks of March.

As a guide:
  1. Not in lacey or stuffy food establishments, more into clean & modern
  2. I currently live in what is considered a directional, international, affluent part of Sydney
  3. I will be staying in Columbus Circle
  4. I'd like to branch out Manhattan if possible
  5. Like to stay current
  6. The whole Hampton/Conneticut thang doesn't float my boat

I don't know how up to speed you are about NYC, but I generally prefer Downtown (i.e., below 23rd St.) to Midtown or Uptown. Although you're staying in Midtown and close to the Upper West Side, most of my suggestions are Downtown focused.

Eating:

Almost every eatery Downtown and most elsewhere would not be categorized as lacey (heck, you'd have to go out of your way to find that) and it's hard to find stuff, although plenty will be rude. Neighborhoods to check out for eating and shopping would be Nolita (epicenter of Prince and Elizabeth Streets), West Village, East Village, Meatpacking District and, to a lesser extent, Chelsea/Union Square.

Honestly, there are many more restaurants here than in Sydney, so I would start by picking up a New York magazine and start choosing (New York Mag isn't encyclopedic for food, but it will also keep you up to date on films, theater, etc. -- New Yorker is a little higher brow and less good with food, Time Out is dippier). Well known restaurants are bigger here than in Sydney, where you're liable to find intimate places to eat (i.e., Alan Wong's in NYC would seat 200 easily), so get off the beaten path to find some interesting spots.

All that said, I would say that food in NYC isn't generally quite up to the standard of Sydney, which seems very food-centric to me. It's easier to find mediocre or unfresh food. If you don't like something, keep searching and trying new things. There are wonderful places in every neighborhood of NY, along with a lot of crap.

Your Sydney neighborhood/Non-Manhattan:

I would say that your area of Sydney is more easily compared with Downtown in Manhattan or the western parts of Brooklyn someone suggested you check out. Really, if you saunter around Brooklyn Hts./Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens (i.e., Court and Smith Streets) or Park Slope (i.e., 5th and 7th Aves.), you'll find the New York version of what you left behind.

The easiest way to see other parts of the City is to spend an afternoon on a journey to a particular site and then grab lunch nearby. Thus, you might consider the following:

1. the Brooklyn Bridge, Brooklyn Promenade walk described above, which is itself a nice afternoon.
2. Brooklyn Museum and Prospect Park/Park Slope.
3. PS-1 and Noguchi Museum in Long Island City Queens.
4. Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria Queens.

Hampton/CT thing:

Me too. Hate it. But March is the off season anyway.

Rugby:

Haven't a clue. But if you want to ask at football bars, Sierra Nevadas (3rd Ave and 12th/13th Streets) is an English-centric enclave for the Premiership, Stout's (33rd between 6th/7th Aves.) is more American-friendly. This place in Nolita is an Aussie restaurant that has a bar downstairs, which used to show rugby, so you might follow up: http://nymag.com/listings/bar/eight_mile_creek/

Shopping:

There are many, many threads devoted to NYC shopping. If you have specific questions that'd be easier to respond to. Shopping is big in NYC (like London or Paris) to a degree unmatched in Sydney, so it's easier to know what you're looking for.

Balthazar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. magoo

All that said, I would say that food in NYC isn't generally quite up to the standard of Sydney, which seems very food-centric to me.

I've heard a couple people say this and I just don't get it. I think it's very much the opposite. Much like its shopping, Sydney's dining is no comparison to New York. Clearly, this is largely driven by the difference in population but such it is.

EGW, I moved from NYC to Sydney a couple years ago so my knowledge is a bit dated but I'll try to come up with a few recs this afternoon. Oh, and that's my neighborhood too (but what does directional mean?).

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was just going to channel you SoCal2NYC!
cheers.gif
Where is a good sports bar? As the Australian Super 14 (local Rugby Union competition) is also in weeks 3 & 4 I would like to watch my team play.
peepwall[1].gif

I realise that there are other parts of SF that I could post this Q, but I feel more connection on Men's Clothing..

If you want to watch live rugby, take the train to Van Cortland park on a Saturday. There are usually a few matches underway.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Presto87
Just curious, as I too am also hoping that one day I can arrange a relocation to NY from Sydney, instead of having to make a complete "fresh start" in a whole new city - what career are you in? Not sure if that's a personal question, that shouldn't be asked??
confused.gif

I work for a US Co that provides market research & analysis for the IT&C industry. My role is in sales & marketing. The option to relocate internally is easier.

Originally Posted by mr. magoo

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Balthazar
I've heard a couple people say this and I just don't get it. I think it's very much the opposite. Much like its shopping, Sydney's dining is no comparison to New York. Clearly, this is largely driven by the difference in population but such it is.

EGW, I moved from NYC to Sydney a couple years ago so my knowledge is a bit dated but I'll try to come up with a few recs this afternoon. Oh, and that's my neighborhood too (but what does directional mean?).

I think this is when one compares the $$$ to the same standard of food. Also, from my experience the produce here in Aus is definitely fresher & locally available.

Also, a lot has to do with local knowledge - I know like any city the inside info is priceless. Eg. in Sydney, insiders know that Otto (Woolloomooloo) or Icebergs (Bondi Beach) is way over prices for the same quality which is available from Vini (S/Hills) or Fratelli's (Potts Point).

Originally Posted by dopey
If you want to watch live rugby, take the train to Van Cortland park on a Saturday. There are usually a few matches underway.

Thanks - my GF is not excited about this.. As expected..

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If EGW is up to it, perhaps closer to March we can discuss where to meet up for a SF get together.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads