• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-Rule "Rules"

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It was an 80's cliche to wear a white collar and cuffs, blue shirt, red tie for the "Power Look". :)

why do you hate the winchester collar? that is whats called right?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

why do you hate the winchester collar? that is whats called right?

It looked sharp when worn properly (a classic suit), but when everyone started wearing it to large business gatherings, like trade shows, with ill fitting blue blazers, baggy gray pants and spotted ties it was time to move on.....

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always think they look great in the RL ads, but I know it real life I would hate it.

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just re checked the RLPL ads. I would like to retract my previous statement.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It was an 80's cliche to wear a white collar and cuffs, blue shirt, yellow tie and suspenders (American English), ideally red, for the "Power Look". :)

FTFY

FTFYFY.

I love you, man. I mean it.

My non-rule rules:

Only linen handkerchiefs or RJ cat pocket squares.

Try to wear at least one vintage item each day.

Side adjusters on all trousers, no belts or braces.

Never buy shoes you can't try on.

Cashmere rollnecks in winter to avoid fussing with scarves.

If you are concerned about matching your watchstrap, belt, briefcase and shoe leather, you have too much time on your hands.

If you are concerned about matching all your metals, you are a moron.

Lined robes a la Sulka or Charvet are wonderful in concept but clammy and slithery to put on.

Match socks to trousers or to my fancy. Pantherella sized Sea Island cotton socks (properly sized in increments of your exact shoe size plus 3), available from Woods of Shropshire or Tricker's in London, are a favorite, or the rainbow of colors of OTC cotton or cashmere socks from Charvet. Gallo has a half-life like that of one of those elements they create in a lab.

Only flexible plastic collar stays (thanks Gavin) or none (thanks to a canny shirtcutter). Brass ones are awful, bone ones snap...

No cuffs on trousers, ever -- that's not a rule I'd impose on others, but it's a rule I live by.

No monograms, anywhere, on anything, unless you are afraid of forgetting your initials.

No visible logos or identifiable gimmicks, except for the Hermes Quentin (not the ******* H, Google it) belt buckle (yeah, I know I said no belt above, but I still wear a lot of RTW trousers) or the Hermes clou de selle cufflinks.

Edward Green pwns JLP RTW. Every time.

Steel toe plates on all shoes. RTW, bespoke, whatever.

Personal experience is always better than what you read on the internet.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This surprises me. No unicorns or hunting scenes?

Interesting strategy--but I like wearing scarves. I would have thought you'd also like to take advantage when the weather gets cold.

No monograms, anywhere, on anything, unless you are afraid of forgetting your initials.

You might also be incredibly vain about how awesome it is to be Foo and not someone else.

This can't be a legitimate opinion because it is factually wrong. No standard EG stands up to the Philip II.

Steeeeeee-rike threeeeee!

Is it really striking out when you aren't trying to hit the ball?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
@doc: I will be back as long as I keep drinking tonight. Rangpur + Fever Tree.

This surprises me. No unicorns or hunting scenes?
I still have those PSs and am not getting rid of them, but am not wearing them. Might even get rid of that Rubinacci PS I groupthought.

Interesting strategy--but I like wearing scarves. I would have thought you'd also like to take advantage when the weather gets cold.
I like and still wear the cashmere-silk neckerchieves that RSS and I have poasted about elsewhere, but I find myself leaving the Begg aside for my turtlenecks when it gets really cold.

You might also be incredibly vain about how awesome it is to be Foo and not someone else.
"RJman est un autre." -- Rjmbaud.

This can't be a legitimate opinion because it is factually wrong. No standard EG stands up to the Philip II.
These are subjective rules. But EG does the welt better than JLP and doesn't have their "failed attempt at Berluti" design esthetic.

Some other non-rule rules:

You should spend as much on your shoes as on your suit. Not to have the flashiest name, but to get the right size and width in a last that fits you from a quality shoemaker in shoes that you can try on before you buy.

Blazers suck, although I happen to own the Manolo-prescribed two; I tihnk I've only worn mine over the last four years when I was cold in my office (used to keep one there).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads