• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nigel Cabourn

Scoobersti

Reaction score

I found this on Instagram posted by a Japanese user who possibly works at the Army Gym store. It's an incredible looking piece as it is but then I noticed a toggle on the inside - reversible maybe??

You are right on. His comment/caption on the coat translates to "a reversible duffle coat that boys wear. Very good."

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found this on Instagram posted by a Japanese user who possibly works at the Army Gym store. It's an incredible looking piece as it is but then I noticed a toggle on the inside - reversible maybe??

Doen't look as good as the Authentic line IMHO. Anyway, link to the Instagram account?

Bessemer

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first post but I think I've read at least half of this 300 page thread. I'm wondering if anyone knows an online retailer stocking the Filson Cabourn clip coat in XL? I'm having no luck with my search. A lot of retailers mentioned appear to have no online stores. Cheers.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hello everyone, first post but I think I've read at least half of this 300 page thread.  I'm wondering if anyone knows an online retailer stocking the Filson Cabourn clip coat in XL?  I'm having no luck with my search.  A lot of retailers mentioned appear to have no online stores.  Cheers.

Filson.com now has it listed, though apparently not shipping in XL until December.

Nookitect

Reaction score
Any ideas what is going on with the cape jacket on Filson's website? One is listed at $590 the other at $685.

If you click on the one that is $685, it shows the other color way, the one listed at $590, but under that link, it is listed at $685.

Thoughts?

I am going to buy both color ways, thinking about placing an order while the olive color is listed at $590. I'm thinking it's a mistake...

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Any ideas what is going on with the cape jacket on Filson's website? One is listed at $590 the other at $685.

If you click on the one that is $685, it shows the other color way, the one listed at $590, but under that link, it is listed at $685.

Thoughts?

I am going to buy both color ways, thinking about placing an order while the olive color is listed at $590. I'm thinking it's a mistake...

The lesser expensive option is made with Filson's tin cloth and the more expensive one uses a heavy waxed cotton. Color aside, I'd go with the waxed cotton version unless you have a particular work/hobby need for tin cloth (it's heavy duty stuff, but does not breathe at all).

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The lesser expensive option is made with Filson's tin cloth and the more expensive one uses a heavy waxed cotton. Color aside, I'd go with the waxed cotton version unless you have a particular work/hobby need for tin cloth (it's heavy duty stuff, but does not breathe at all).

Curious where you read that. Both coats have the exact same descriptions, but different style #s, so I definitely believe you (not that I doubt you). I'm just curious where you read it.

Personally I hope the jackets I ordered are both of the waxed variety. I'm guessing the rustic is since it looks to have only come in the waxed variety.

Thoughts?

Hadn't noticed it was on the site. I've been checking every day for the past couple of days, but I was doing a search of "Cabourn" and that still doesn't yield anything.

EDIT: Now I'm seeing it on the main page. Must have launched today or yesterday.
Ah, I see. Hmm. Is the waxed cotton worth $100 more?

I supposed that's a matter of opinion. IMO yes, and I've not handled either. I love waxed things so I'm a sucker for it. As for the price, you could get wax and do it yourself, but it sounds like a pain *********** and I'd be worried about messing up the jacket.

Last edited:

Scoobersti

Reaction score
If you click the fabric info tab on the product page on Filson's website the more expensive one is listed as waxed cotton and Seattle wool and the $590 is listed as tin cloth and Seattle wool.

Edit: Sorry its fabric info, I typed materials tab on accident at first.

Last edited:

Nookitect

Reaction score
I am most likely going with the waxed version. I like the color of the waxed fabric better than the tin-cloth.

I am somewhat conflicted on sizing. I've been talking to a store rep and from the measurements they gave me, I should go with a medium in the cape jacket. I am typically an XL in cabourn (specifically the cameraman). According to their measurements I should be ok with the medium but I don't own anything in that size.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you click the fabric info tab on the product page on Filson's website the more expensive one is listed as waxed cotton and Seattle wool and the $590 is listed as tin cloth and Seattle wool.

Edit: Sorry its fabric info, I typed materials tab on accident at first.

Ahh, I see now. Really weird because the description was identical otherwise.
I am most likely going with the waxed version. I like the color of the waxed fabric better than the tin-cloth.

I am somewhat conflicted on sizing. I've been talking to a store rep and from the measurements they gave me, I should go with a medium in the cape jacket. I am typically an XL in cabourn (specifically the cameraman). According to their measurements I should be ok with the medium but I don't own anything in that size.

The waxed does look better in the pictures.

OK, what sort of measurements did they give you? People keep talking about sizing down, but I figure there's a nominal difference. Did you get pit to pit on that medium? Also, what size do you consider XL on the Cameraman?
BLAUGRANA, where did you see the best made axe?

On the main page scroll down and click on the "clearance" image/link. They only have the felling axe left, but some stores (I assume all) got the smaller Hudson Bay axe as well. They're identical other than size and the head size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads