• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicholas Templeman: A Bespoke Shoemaker

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've never cared for the two eyelet derby personally. I feel that they need a slightly more aggressive last to look "right" (Corthay Arca) and then they are a tad fashion-y.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've never cared for the two eyelet derby personally. I feel that they need a slightly more aggressive last to look "right" (Corthay Arca) and then they are a tad fashion-y.

Yea, that's what I'm afraid of. StC's "Classic" last is about as pointy as I like shoes to be. I should probably fetch them out of the closet and wear them again for a while.

Shetterd

Reaction score
I like the two-eyelet derbies Nicholas was wearing on this trip. Was between those and a single monk.

Also, just remembered this morning that I have a pair of two-eyelet derbies from StC. Hidden in the back of the closet somewhere. Probably should take them out and wear them for a while to figure out how I like the style.

Might just do another split-toe after this loafer order, and then decide on two-eyelet derby vs single monk two years down the road when these two orders are done.
This may not be exactly what you are after, but Mark Cho has a pair of Fukuda single monks in, I think, snuff suede. It might be worth looking back over The Armoury's Youtube channel to see how he styles them?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This may not be exactly what you are after, but Mark Cho has a pair of Fukuda single monks in, I think, snuff suede. It might be worth looking back over The Armoury's Youtube channel to see how he styles them?

Yea, I saw those and like how they look. Also, have these four photos on file, and I once saw Greg in NMWA wearing a pair of Barbanera single monks with a sport coat. I thought he looked good. Just curious if there are any more fit pics, and especially with the style that Nicholas posted (sort of a unique design)

9oZn9SL4.jpg
tumblr_97fba2d2a1cd7850de3628f3289b5c93_08109f92_540.jpg
tumblr_mp0lb2ZfPj1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_mkh0x5LLio1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Yea, I saw those and like how they look. Also, have these four photos on file, and I once saw Greg in NMWA wearing a pair of Barbanera single monks with a sport coat. I thought he looked good. Just curious if there are any more fit pics, and especially with the style that Nicholas posted (sort of a unique design)

View attachment 1707166 View attachment 1707167 View attachment 1707168 View attachment 1707169

You need them in white suede or something like that. Good summer shoe. Nice for wearing with grey trousers and navy blazers. Like bucks but less obnoxious.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Awesome shoes! Look very good.
Where are the socks from by the way? Also very nice.

I've had them for a very long time, but I think I actually got them at Brooks Brothers. I could be wrong.
I like the spadeish sole/welt detail. Great socks too.

Do you worry the shoes could become a tad loose if they already touch at the lacing area?
Yeah, I ordered them with a spade sole and a higher heel than what Nick does on his standard stuff. As for the facings, I made the comment to Nick and he assured me this is how he makes them. What's great about bespoke shoes is I don't have to "worry" about anything. If things change they can be adjusted in the future.

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Facings don’t really stretch in my experience, never seen it in bespoke shoes. I think the idea comes from rtw shoes where they don’t fit in the arch, there’s excess volume which allows leather to get pulled up giving the illusion of stretched facings. Close together facings certainly looks smarter than wide apart, a little gap is ok too. It’s down to taste more than anything, if they’re tight enough to do their job when close together that’s pretty much ideal for me aesthetically on a smart shoe

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Okay, as a great movie character played by Alec Baldwin once said, let's talk about something important:

For those who were able to see Nicholas on his just-concluded trip, thoughts on his post- (mid-?) pandemic long hair?

I for one am in the "pro" camp.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was my first meeting with him so I don't have anything to compare to. I'm in the whatever camp.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In my ideal, the facings should fully close, but just so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads