• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a theory on the increase in price- Yoox just started operating their site in China this past year; they know they've tapped into a Gold mine in terms of sales there, believe it or not the newly rich in that part of the world are willing to pay A LOT MORE than the western hemisphere for luxury goods.  (if you don't believe me, take a good look at the streets or the cars in Shanghai); people walk into car dealerships with backpack full of cash buying bentley and lamborghini (true story on their newspapers).  So gents I hope your dreambox item won't be snatched before they reach your desired sale level; just watch out.

I would not worry so much about Chinese. They are doing what Soviets were doing in the 1990s. The wave will pass and Chinese will be broke again.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a theory on the increase in price- Yoox just started operating their site in China this past year; they know they've tapped into a Gold mine in terms of sales there, believe it or not the newly rich in that part of the world are willing to pay A LOT MORE than the western hemisphere for luxury goods.  (if you don't believe me, take a good look at the streets or the cars in Shanghai); people walk into car dealerships with backpack full of cash buying bentley and lamborghini (true story on their newspapers).  So gents I hope your dreambox item won't be snatched before they reach your desired sale level; just watch out.

I wouldn’t worry about them too much. Chinese only know big brands and names – which are actually rubbish. They are unaware of niche brands.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Has anyone else noticed prices increase at Yoox? I judge by looking at prices for Lardini and Brunello Cucinelli, even on a maximum discount they cost twice as they used to couple of years ago.

When the "financial meltdown" of 2008/2009 occurred, clothing and other high-end retailers had to change fast. The following year or so brought lots of overstock to non-traditional channels (yoox, B&S, gilt, etc.) but they've since adjusted. Those days are gone. There just aren't the great overstocks and fire-sales for cash-flow that were needed during those couple of years.

At least, that's my sense of it having gathered as much from people in the biz.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

When the "financial meltdown" of 2008/2009 occurred, clothing and other high-end retailers had to change fast. The following year or so brought lots of overstock to non-traditional channels (yoox, B&S, gilt, etc.) but they've since adjusted. Those days are gone. There just aren't the great overstocks and fire-sales for cash-flow that were needed during those couple of years.

At least, that's my sense of it having gathered as much from people in the biz.

there are still awesome sales to be found. you have to search.

AE7

Reaction score

I wouldn’t worry about them too much. Chinese only know big brands and names – which are actually rubbish. They are unaware of niche brands.

But it' s only a matter of time until yoox marketing will start to educate chinese on the niche brands t sells.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But it' s only a matter of time until yoox marketing will start to educate chinese on the niche brands t sells.

It won't matter. Give them crap and put huge price tag .brand them as lv or Hermes they will eat it. lol New money all they care is what is big ... Its like yoox can bring these Chinese to the water but yoox cant make them drink !
chines people buy lv or Hermes paper bags for gods sake ....

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

there are still awesome sales to be found. you have to search.

I agree, there are sales,but as everyone is seeing with Yoox, the flood of deals to be had from '08/'09 and even into '10 is pretty much over. Sales are usually structured, intentional, planned by retailers (and accounted for), floods of deals are because things went haywire - those are what made Yoox a bonanza for 2 or 3 years and just aren't going to happen until the next big surprise/collapse.

Like you, though, I'm still hunting :slayer:

Jbravo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No matter what, Yoox still remains tha place to spot best bargains ever in the kingdom of internets. If you show me another place that sells good Rick leather for 600 euros, I'll say that Yoox is a *************. Until then....its the ****.

Keoke

Reaction score

I agree, there are sales,but as everyone is seeing with Yoox, the flood of deals to be had from '08/'09 and even into '10 is pretty much over. Sales are usually structured, intentional, planned by retailers (and accounted for), floods of deals are because things went haywire - those are what made Yoox a bonanza for 2 or 3 years and just aren't going to happen until the next big surprise/collapse.
Like you, though, I'm still hunting :slayer:

I remember they used to unload lots and lots of Raf, Marni or Jil until around 2011, not anymore though. You can still find tons of Dsquared these days :D

cv123

Reaction score
I've pretty much stopped shopping at local department store after I discovered Yoox. Since it is not offering such terrific price as it did, I simply scale back on spending and the number of articles I purchase. I think of it as wardrobe editing.

AE7

Reaction score
For some brands (e.g. LBM, Cantarelli, Hackett) discounts are still impressive. For some (e.g. BC, Lardini, Caruso) not so much. Does it mean that the former producers do not value their labour/overproduce stuff of a mediocre quality, and the latter items are more quality/costly in production? Or this fact has more to do with marketing?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads