• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to SF Hello and some help please

irridion

Reaction score
Well,
just arrived home from school sans luggage, all my clothes are gone forever
frown.gif
What would you suggest I do to rebuild most of an entire wardrobe from scratch on a student friendly budget? I live in Toronto, Canada but goto Uni in the UK. I am literally left with 1 suit, 1 pair Khaki, boat shoes, and a cardigan. I have roughly $1800.00 to spend in Canada which is better than trying to shop in the UK!

Any advice is most welcome! I am in a professional programme and as such am expected to dress well and have ot be able to function in Europe and in N.America

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Contact GQgeek.

I had a dream last night that he will be a Billionaire.

Many of my dreams come true.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
I say take a look at some buy and sell threads on here and buy (perhaps not bulk) but more than one or two items from anyone selling some basics, to save on some shipping. If they are willing to ship to canada.

Go with some tees , some polos and 1 or two dress shirts, a pair of jeans and another khaki or chino in a darker color or lighter whatever is opposite of your current khaki.
Get a pair of shoes real cheap doesn't have to be no sf approved perhaps a pair of florsheim or ecco or kc. You'll have enough money left over for other things.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
PC New Standard (size down 2 from normal waist size) - 1 - $155
Hanes, Muji, Uniqlo, American Apparel, Alternative Apparel t-shirts - 7 - ~$20
Uniqlo socks - 4 pack x 2 (various colors)- $20
Red Wing 8173, Gentleman's Travelers, Iron Ranger, LL Bean Katahdin, maybe Chukkas/Desert Boots like Clarks - ~$170 ($400 some for Alden Chukkas)

That's it for basics. Boots in winter. Boat shoes in summer. If you want a white canvas shoe recommend Spring Courts if you want a little splurge, Chuck Taylors or Jack Purcell, Vans New Eras if not.

A pair of dress shoes, maybe. Probably the more versatile brown, but you might need a black for interviews. Look on ebay for deals on Allen Edmonds Park Avenues and B&S threads for Crockett and Jones.

Shirts, sweaters, jackets, and coats you'll have to dig around, but some recommendations
Shirts - BoO ($200 or so on discount, check affiliates), Wolf vs Goat ($160, Farinelli's), Michael J. Krell ($140 with discount, most recommended), buy an Oxford Button Down in white and light blue.

Sweaters - you'll honestly have to dig. check the buy and sell threads. Four Horseman's is selling a really cool cowichan sweater. check the more known UK shops (Albam (honestly a great deal), superdenim, dover street market, check the supertalk maps for london)

Jackets - Recommend a TOJ leather. Great value. Otherwise same as above.

-_- again I'll have to reiterate the B&S threads and ebay. Just camp out. If you're unsure of sizing go shopping using the supertalk map and just try things on. Remember or write down your sizes in each brand. Know your measurements and when buying online always ask for measurements.

Visit scottishcashmereclub for online shops to buy cashmere scarves/mufflers/shawls at a decent deal or visit forum affiliate Four in Hand for other decent deals.

Build a basic color palette around navy, grey, khaki, and some neutral colors like olive green, brown.

Branch out once you know more.

sle-z-e

Reaction score
Spiewak makes some solid coats at quite affordable prices. I'm from Saskatchewan and I'm rockin the Spiewak Meade Field Jacket. It keeps me nice and warm so your ***** Toronto winters would be no match for that sucker. But in all seriousness, good stuff good price. You can find their stuff through a few of the affiliates

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads