• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New suit: Cad & dandy, Z Zenga, G&H, RLBL or RLPL

GodAtum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for a 2nd suit. I've narrowed down my choices to either

I think RLPL is way above my price range if I'm correct in that price. What would be the best choice of of the other 3?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would try Cad&Dandy since that is also a well known budget London tailor. You can search my thread on Graham Browne for a good idea of what they also offer.

If you like the soft style, nothing beats buying a purple label or Kiton. Afterwards you could bring it to the tailor and let him known how your preference of construction

Forget Z Zenga for their poor construction

I think Purple suit is around GBP3500 for their standard three piece.

Last edited:

GodAtum

Reaction score
My only suit atm is Graham Browne which I like but I want to try someone different. I've read the RLPL and RLBL are quite slim fitting which might be good as I'm a skinny guy!

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My only suit atm is Graham Browne which I like but I want to try someone different. I've read the RLPL and RLBL are quite slim fitting which might be good as I'm a skinny guy!

Why not try to communicate with Russell, Dan or Richard about the improvement you would like to have on your next suit? For a rule of thumb ask them to use less canvass, perhaps just two to one layer, depends which they go for, to give you a softer feel if you like that...

I am a bespoke only guy now. Even I tried the purple suit I find their suit length is badly proportioned. Waistcoat simply too long, trouser rise way too low, with the slightly long jacket. Armholes will never be cut as precise as GB

I strongly advice on your behalf, that try to ask them about things that you would like to change on the paper pattern, perhaps the structure, design and cloth you would like to improve to be more personalized.

I am not sure how effective your communication is, but you aren't, try to bring some pictures.

Your first bespoke suit will bound to be not exactually you want, given time you will never think of purchasing OTR with the premium price and bad proportion.

Macallan

Reaction score
There are two directions should consider, in my opinion: i. try someone different (e.g. Cad & the Dandy) or ii. try a higher level of bespoke. Personally, I would continue with the same tailor for at least one more suit/jacket.

I still wear RTW suits but since going the custom route (mtm and bespoke), cannot imgine going for RTW again.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
....I'd learn to spell Zegna, and then not buy it but choose RLBL, assuming one is fit enough to pull it off

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

....I'd learn to spell Zegna, and then not buy it but choose RLBL, assuming one is fit enough to pull it off

Do you feel better about yourself now?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Isn't Cad Dandy the guy who went around shilling on SF awhile back?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This strikes me as an odd comment. RLPL is not "soft" style. Far from it, actually. It's structured English military style. (Kilgour, etc)
http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6285

Regarding to your inquiry, Purple label had different range of fit although they never say it.

The old and rare Savile Row fit has a strong shoulder but soft chest, armholes a bit lower than their custom fit, jacket length shorter to give the English look

The common custom fit is Italian style, low rise trousers, longer waistcoat and jacket.

Frankly they are overpriced.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a very skinny guy: 34 chest and 28 waist.

With that size, there is barely chance to get something fit nicely in London OTR except suitsupply.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads