• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Sportcoat

sean anon

Reaction score
Thoughts of this Brooks Regent fit sportcoat. I generally only wear sportcoats at night and am questioning the utility of this along with the styling which is somewhat structured with padded shoulder.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Sounds like you are not sure of the styling- shoulder padding ,etc.
2. Hacking ticket pocket is a bit much, IMHO
3. It looks a bit snug on you.

Full disclosure: I am a very natural shoulder fan, who hates ticket pockets.

Ivar

Reaction score

Thoughts of this Brooks Regent fit sportcoat. I generally only wear sportcoats at night and am questioning the utility of this along with the styling which is somewhat structured with padded shoulder.
Your doubt is well-founded. Try some other cuts, and stay away from earth colors if the coat is only for evening wear.

Last edited:

sean anon

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I like the lapel on the brown sportcoat (medium with a higher gorge) but otherwise the Fitz fits me better. I think it is the higher armholes and the lighter shoulders.

Any comments on Italian brands (I assume) that would combine these elements that I can search on EBAY? Lightly padded or no padding in the shoulders and higher armholes and lighter interlining plus medium slim fit? Canali?

Here is a Fitz

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score
You're too inexperienced to look for sports coats on eBay. For a similar cut, the forum standard answer SuitSupply should serve you well. They offer free shipping and free returns.

sean anon

Reaction score
You're too inexperienced to look for sports coats on eBay. For a similar cut, the forum standard answer SuitSupply should serve you well. They offer free shipping and free returns.

That seems a bit of a strong comment. I bought the brown one despite my better judgement. I know now the Fitz 42L fits me well so there is one model I can buy on EBAY again. SuitSupply I know but there should be other brands to try. I also like buying used on EBAY for the very reason that they are inexpensive and I can experiment.

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score
Yeah, perhaps. The point is that buying sports coats off eBay generally won't leave you with the option of returning them if they're not to your taste. It also requires an intimate understanding of your measurements and how they relate to the garment in the pictures. Moreover, knowing what brands or models to look for isn't as helpful as one would perhaps imagine since most makers often modify the models from one season to the next. This is especially true with eBay coats since they often have some years to them.

As for Italian brands to look for. The Neapolitans are an obvious first choice: Attolini, Kiton, Borrelli, Isaia, Sartoria Partenopea ...

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, perhaps. The point is that buying sports coats off eBay generally won't leave you with the option of returning them if they're not to your taste. It also requires an intimate understanding of your measurements and how they relate to the garment in the pictures. Moreover, knowing what brands or models to look for isn't as helpful as one would perhaps imagine since most makers often modify the models from one season to the next. This is especially true with eBay coats since they often have some years to them.

As for Italian brands to look for. The Neapolitans are an obvious first choice: Attolini, Kiton, Borrelli, Isaia, Sartoria Partenopea ...

I would add Belvest,even though it i s made in the Veneto. However all of these offer models that have more structured /padded shoulders in addition
the the very natural neapolitan cut.. Also, it is very had to know from the online photos. Unless one knows the exact model, which has been tried on in
a real store, online purchases are something of a crap shoot.

Last edited:

JTA

Reaction score

Thanks for the comments. I like the lapel on the brown sportcoat (medium with a higher gorge) but otherwise the Fitz fits me better. I think it is the higher armholes and the lighter shoulders. Any comments on Italian brands (I assume) that would combine these elements that I can search on EBAY? Lightly padded or no padding in the shoulders and higher armholes and lighter interlining plus medium slim fit? Canali? Here is a Fitz
The first coat looks bulky on you than the second one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads