• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new designer in menswear doing research (*US patented dress shirt collars*)

eric glennie

Reaction score
You must be joking ImageWis! Superficial means regarding the surface and clothing is far from superficial. Short of facial expressions, clothing is the greatest form of nonverbal communication. I suppose you were the guy sleeping in psychology class. Better yet, you think Freud with his hand around he phallus means he jacking rather that psychological energy. Why do women go into their closets and pick out a dark blue rather than a baby blue outfit, why do women wear stripes and high heels? Why do you wear a colored shirt rather than white? We all present a subliminal message with clothing, far from superficial.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eric glennie
You must be joking ImageWis! Superficial means regarding the surface and clothing is far from superficial. Short of facial expressions, clothing is the greatest form of nonverbal communication. I suppose you were the guy sleeping in psychology class. Better yet, you think Freud with his hand around he phallus means he jacking rather that psychological energy. Why do women go into their closets and pick out a dark blue rather than a baby blue outfit, why do women wear stripes and high heels? Why do you wear a colored shirt rather than white? We all present a subliminal message with clothing, far from superficial.

...so much fodder....so little time....

koji

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
What happens when the product is the package?

Jon.

Which is clothing...since it is what we package ourselves in.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So Glennie, if I may ask, what subliminal message do you fancy your desugns to be broadcasting?

p.s. pay no attention to haters like Thracozaag. That guy wears blue shirts, and we all know what that means.

eric glennie

Reaction score
Its almost impossible to psychoanalyze oneself. That is why we go to therapy and talk to friends and relatives to get their opinions and understanding about oneself. I dont know why I came up with these collars and cuffs. There is something in my subconscious, not drugs, that generate my pschosis manifested through my art in fashion. The energy of art, songs, photography, paintings, and fashion mostly come from some sort of internal strife, negative energy, or experience. The true art of fashion is the energy that comes from one's soul , whether its some sort of positive or negative energy, and cannot be knocked off.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with EG, modern fashion is stagnant, repetitive and overran by mass merchandisers and imposters.
Late 90s were copying 70s, now early 2000s everyone are copying 50s.
And the most famous American “designer” is ....Ralph Lauren,
smile.gif
that peddler of musty trad merchandise.

"Designers should stop kidding" said Valentino, at the last Milan men's show.

eric glennie

Reaction score
Dkzzzz. There are a lot of designers out there like me with wonderful , creative ideas . Most arent willing to put their "grapefruits" out there and take the beating. Retailers arent even willing to try new ideas cause they are afraid they wont sell. How do you know if your product doesnt sell when you are not given the opportunity to put your product in front of the general public. The fashion world is screaming for innovation, but the editors and media wouldnt know innovation if it slapped them in the faces. Unfortunately, the fashion world has become a poplularity contest of which designer can get their label into what media outlet. My guess there is a lot of $$ under the table for the designer to get their name in print. just my point of view. Please enlighten me if I am wrong. are there any buyers in this forum and I am interested in your comments.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fashion world is screaming for innovation, but the editors and media wouldnt know innovation if it slapped them in the faces.

can you cite some evidence for this claim?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Dkzzzz. There are a lot of designers out there like me with wonderful , creative ideas . Most arent willing to put their "grapefruits" out there and take the beating. Retailers arent even willing to try new ideas cause they are afraid they wont sell. How do you know if your product doesnt sell when you are not given the opportunity to put your product in front of the general public. The fashion world is screaming for innovation, but the editors and media wouldnt know innovation if it slapped them in the faces. Unfortunately, the fashion world has become a poplularity contest of which designer can get their label into what media outlet. My guess there is a lot of $$ under the table for the designer to get their name in print. just my point of view. Please enlighten me if I am wrong. are there any buyers in this forum and I am interested in your comments.

You are way off base.
Doing something different, simply for the sake of being different has little to no meaning at all.
If you want to see something innovative look at Hussein Chalayan.

Retailers try many new ideas...but, it starts at the top at Saks, Bergdorf, Nieman Marcus, Jeffery, Colette, 10 Corso Como, Dover Street Market, etc. Then it trickles down to Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, H&M then to Macys, JC Pennys and Mervyns.

However, your clothing doesn't have any merit to warrant a place at the top.

eric glennie

Reaction score
If anyone has a connection to Valentino, pass along my information. Very interested in what he has to say about my fashion. From reading about Mr. Valentino, he is a true artist and will overlook my lack of $$ in a website and will judge me by my designs and creativity. thanks EG.

eric glennie

Reaction score
SOcal! a long as you are happy pushing GeeK Chic that is so PeeWee Herman and " Men with Hats" over the top 80's. It brings in the $$$$ and keeps the investors happy. Was Geek Chic the best the retailers and media have to push over the past 4 years?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SOcal! a long as you are happy pushing GeeK Chic that is so PeeWee Herman and " Men with Hats" over the top 80's.

This will be the third time, at least, in this thread that I have pointed out that you have no idea what you are talking about

thepataphysician

Reaction score
If anyone has a connection to Valentino, pass along my information. Very interested in what he has to say about my fashion. From reading about Mr. Valentino, he is a true artist and will overlook my lack of $$ in a website and will judge me by my designs and creativity. thanks EG.

Perhaps Valentino could check out atelier glennie aka mrs. glennie's basement and they could giggle together over the bachrach clothing catalog.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

Originally Posted by dkzzzz
"Designers/Mr Glennie should stop kidding (himself)" said Valentino, .

Here we go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads