• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nettleton shoes.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
How's this (click for bigger image, I think)? Thanks.

nettleton1

Reaction score
I had the same question on this pair of Nettletons-there are no markings but I think they are cordovan.Is it possible to confirm?
Thanks

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

dport86

Reaction score

Originally Posted by dport86
i'd hear the legend of nettleton as well. bought a pair of vintage Nettleton Traditionals in brown gator from ebay, complete with boxes and bags. Styling was a little conservative, and surprisingly, workmanship and finish were not up to my expectations. Unlike my same model French Shriners (v-tip, split toe, lace-up bluchers), the edges on the vamps were not turned or piped. unevenly cut and sewn. perhaps these were late (all rubber soles) but from the style, had to be late 60's very early 70's at the latest. I've heard that their pebble longwings are the best, but I'm still looking. The pair I bought off ebay turned out to be a fake--terrible seller (meggakat) beware!
I am extremely dubious that anybody would fake NOS Nettletons.
They weren't faked. Seller claimed they were Nettletons, insoles were not readable on his photos. Turned out to be vintage but low-grade wingtips (British Walkers)

dport86

Reaction score
BTW, the new Nettleton site seems pretty dubious. I'm not sure what 3 generations of Tuscan stonemasons bring to traditional footwear manufacture. And while all the old photos are great, would love to see what they're making now. I've seen some pretty mediocre stuff from when they were making stuff overseas over the last few decades. Let's hope they actually bring back some of that old-time Nettleton quality and style.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My similar NIB later model year Aldens paled in comparison in terms of build and fit. However, a vintage pair of NIB/NOS shell Alden plain toes that I tried at a store in Boston on with a 90's vintage felt as substantial.

A second photo:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
One of my Nettletons came in a box, it does not look like it could be from the 70s. The design screams 1990ish.

nettleton_tan.jpg

No box, but here are mine:

p1012175ji8.jpg

p1012177wo9.jpg

p1012180bj1.jpg

p1012179ta0.jpg

I have and have had some others. A forum Nettleton archive would be a good thing. I'll dig up pics of my others.

Keep in mind that later in life, Nettleton turned out some subpar shoes, but in its prime I doubt there were any better from a domestic maker.

I bought a pair on Ebay, recently. Look a lot like these ones, except my toe area looks more square.

They were $50(US) plus shipping and taxes into Canada. They feel great, and go with suits or casual. As I have to wear orthotics, I really need the GYW soles that can keep my feet going the whole day. They have not failed me.

I would say the leather is definitely of higher quality than AE or some of the British ones I own (Barker, Hawkins, Charles Tyrwhitt) and even of higher quality than the last Florsheims batches that were made in the US.

If you can snag an old pair, do it. They should last forever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads