• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need your advice on what to pair with this suit

howlingwolfpress

Reaction score
First of all I wanted to say this is an amazing forum, I've been reading up on threads for several days now--this is a whole other universe I never knew about until I found the The Sartorialist blog and now styleforum has my full attention. This is a hand-me-down Brooks Brothers suit, charcoal grey with light grey pinstripes. Haven't really examined it to see what has been done to the suit, as I wouldn't know what to look for. I just know that it fits a lot better than any suits I used to wear, and it has a lot of slim-fit qualities that I don't have the proper terminology for
smile.gif
Unfortunately I'm an art student so the only way I'd be able to use the suit is while painting as if it were the 19th century. Otherwise I'd wear it for the occasional wedding. Now, other than the suit and pants, I think that everything else needs to be upgraded and this is where I need your help. I am looking for advice on a good shirt and tie combination (I've read a generic suggestion that high-contrast works well for asians), new shoes, getting the cuffs to go past the suit sleeves, a new belt, and anything else that you think would be an improvement. From the neck up I'm a mess at the moment, especially the haircut, but I'll deal with that at another time. Haha, same goes for the room
smile.gif
Without further ado, I posted as many photos as I thought might be useful for critiquing the suit and everything else. Body type info: 5' 11", 10.5 US shoe size, 165 lbs (should be 145 when healthy). I still have to do the shirt measurements. Thanks, Stephen
4245972983_da384c62f8_b.jpg
4246736864_58f2bc4b51_b.jpg
4245967999_dafd795e2a_b.jpg
4245964623_f3335277fa_b.jpg
4245952175_91085aa6a9_b.jpg
4246719932_cc7718ffc2_b.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Start by un-butttoning that bottom button!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Buy a long sleeve shirt to wear with it!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OK, OK - First of all, welcome to SF.

You do need to clean your room, yes. Alterations on the suit we wont touch on, as there are plenty to be done. Working with the basic points of your post -

You need new shoes. Something simple, clean, and classic, like your suit (will be when you tailor it). Go for a black oxford, something pretty standard, along the lines of what you are wearing, but in a sleek modern shape.

As far as shirts and ties, you mention you are an art student, so you can take the classic chalkstripe of the suit and play it off something fun and bold to make it unique, such as a bold floral tie, something in pink maybe? You can also play it safe and sedate by a standard perfectly fitted white spread collar shirt and a knit tie. You can still pop this look with an interesting pocket square.

And for god sakes man, dont button the bottom button.

howlingwolfpress

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses so far. Haha the room is cleaned up now, and point taken on the bottom button. I'm considering taking the Fung Wah bus down to NY after I figure out what I'm looking for, but this sounds like it will take much more research. So far I have a pair of jeans from uniqlo on my list, and perhaps a visit to Leffot

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope it's just the strain of photographing yourself, but it looks like the back vent is gaping rather badly.

dbc

Reaction score
Maybe its the photo, but the trousers look a bit bunched up for a slim fit suit.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jacket generally too big - collar/lapel dont wrap around cleanly
pants are okay - atleast theyre proportionate with jacket

oh, and haircut and a shave

howlingwolfpress

Reaction score
A last ditch effort before I purge the closet and start from scratch
smile.gif
After looking at some suits on The Sartorialist and here, I can see that there's excess fabric bunching up at the chest, both suit and shirt sleeves are at least 1.5" too long, cuffs can be narrowed more to follow the taper of the forearm, pocket square is badly folded, too high and too voluminous, and the waist could cut in more to wrap around the rib cage. Bottom of the trousers needs to be hemmed several inches, etc., etc. I think I would prefer antique brown color for the shoes.
4249909613_dc485f7721_b.jpg

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by howlingwolfpress
A last ditch effort before I purge the closet and start from scratch
smile.gif
After looking at some suits on The Sartorialist and here, I can see that there's excess fabric bunching up at the chest, both suit and shirt sleeves are at least 1.5" too long, cuffs can be narrowed more to follow the taper of the forearm, pocket square is badly folded, too high and too voluminous, and the waist could cut in more to wrap around the rib cage. Bottom of the trousers needs to be hemmed several inches, etc., etc. I think I would prefer antique brown color for the shoes.
4249909613_dc485f7721_b.jpg

This is a better picture because your posture is not thrown off holding the camera. I think you could stand a little more erect to make evaluation easier. It's good enough though. I would have a tailor look at the suit as well. Go to Brooks Brothers and ask the tailor there to look at it. I can see that there's excess fabric bunching up at the chest, There is an issue with the chest. It's bulging on you. I'm not sure if it's excess fabric or some other issue. That's why I think you should have a tailor look at it. both suit and shirt sleeves are at least 1.5" too long, cuffs can be narrowed more to follow the taper of the forearm, I agree. You might also look at the pitch of the jacket sleeves. There should be no rumpling in the fabric of the sleeves. Your left sleeve looks problematic. pocket square is badly folded, too high and too voluminous, This is trivial. You have lots of time to play with pocket square folds and the waist could cut in more to wrap around the rib cage. To my untrained eye, this is an extension of the issue with the chest. Again, you need a good tailor to look at this. Bottom of the trousers needs to be hemmed several inches, etc., etc. My preference is a slight break on the shoe in front and no break in the back. Be sure your trousers are riding just below the natural waist (1" down from navel) and not on your hips. If you wear suit trousers like you wear jeans, they will be too low. Keep you suit trousers up! Edit: I decided to look at your first set of pictures again and examine the back. Looking at the back, I'm concerned the jacket shoulders are too wide and that's what is throwing everything off in the front. If the jacket shoulders are too wide, most advise not to alter the shoulders -- it's major surgery and not worth it. At this point, you should look at another suit.
4245952175_91085aa6a9_b.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member