• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need champagne advice

Nahmeanz

Reaction score
My friend is having a little party tomorrow night for the grand opening of his and his wife's store. I want to bring a few bottles of champagne to help celebrate. Any recommendations?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How little? What is your budget per bottle?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
20-30 people, if you're allowing just one glass for the drinkers and counting on a few not having any, that is still 3 or 4 bottles. $150 will certainly make a statement but isn't really necessary. If you do go that route, Krug, DP, Pol Roger Winston Churchill, and others will impress. Actually, there aren't a lot of really bad expensive Champagnes although I've never much cared for Cristal.

Normal vintage (but not premium) Champagne will be better value. If you have a wine store with a lot of turnover on the high end (so you don't get a stale, overheated bottle), they should be able to find something for $50-70.

And if you are looking for good cheer at a lower price, I've always liked Roederer Estate from California. Further down the price list and really excellent for sipping in warm weather is Prosecco from Italy.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
veuve is around 45 a bottle and is quite delicious

moet and chandon white star is good as well

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I basically agree with everything Concordia said...
Unless it was improperly stored, it's hard to find a bad expensive champagne. In that price range, my first choice would probably be Krug MV (multi-vintage) or one of the smaller producers vintage premium or vintage standard cuvees. Amongst more recognoizable brands you can look at Moet & Chandon Dom Perignon and Veuve Cliquot's premium cuvee "La Grand Dame". The going price for Louis Roderer cuvee Crystal is over $150 a bottle. Most of the premium cuvees are going to be very good and the prices seem to reflect higher demand for better known/better marketed brands. If you want something unusual, consider rose vintage cuvees. If you go with vintage wine you should probably look at '95 or '99 or check with a store clerk. '96 is suppose to be a great champagne vintage that has not yet reached it's peak.

Another interesting alternative is to get magnum sized bottles. They may cost more than double the price of standard bottles but they can certainly contribute to making the occasion seem more special. It is also accepted that champagne in magnums and jereboams (3l) bottles has superior flavor to the same champagne in 750ml bottles.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grab as many bottle of Moet or Pol in your price range and rock on....no one will be disappointed. Stay away from Veuve, IMO.

Nahmeanz

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I got 2 bottles of La Grande Dame 98. I'm not the only one bringing champagne so that should be enough. We're probably going to drink the champagne at the beginning of the party and knowing the people that are coming, no one will be on time haha. Other wines and spirits will be served throughout the evening.

I chose La Grande Dame over Cristal because Cristal does have a certain stigma attached to the name still. Not saying it isn't a great champagne but it reminds me of the years I went to clubs and bought out their stock of Cristal just because Jay-Z told me to. I was young and dumb haha. Plus the Veuve Clicquot is less expensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads