• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Blue Suit - Recommendations? (Scottsdale, AZ)

CC268

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a nice navy blue suit as I get closer to potential interviews with the major airlines. I figure I can wear it to other formal events (weddings, etc) as well. I'm typically a "buy once, buy right" kind of person and prefer to spend a little more to get good quality. I'm a big fan of Allen Edmonds and have several pairs of their shoes and belts.

Anyways, I live in Scottsdale, AZ - there are a ton of tailors and suit stores around here. I figured I would stay away from the "Men's Warehouse" big box stores. There is a Suit Supply just down the street from me. That said, I've been going to a local tailor that has been tailoring my pilot shirts when I get them. He does custom suits as well as some "off the shelf" suits that are still of really nice quality. Last time I was in, he showed me different options and I was definitely impressed. Apparently he used to work for Suit Supply as well.

Budget is $500-$1000 (just for the jacket and pants).

What do you guys think? Should I be looking at Suit Supply? Or stick with a local tailor? I definitely prefer a slimmer style and do not like bulky clothing. This wouldn't be an issue at either place.

Thanks.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like you're deciding between SuitSupply and your local tailor. Definitely better to work with someone in person rather than on-line.

How well do the off-the-rack suits fit on you from SuitSupply and from your tailor? At your price point, it's better to buy an off-the-rack suit that requires minimal alterations rather than go custom. You don't know how the custom suit will turn out until after it has been made. If it fits poorly, no amount of alteration may be able to save it. A free remake policy is no guarantee that the next suit will fit well.

One word of advice about SuitSupply. I know you like a slimmer fit, but be careful -- my experience with them is that the sales associates there seem to be trained to recommend a full size down. You may end up with something too short and too tight if you don't use your own judgment.

CC268

Reaction score
So it sounds like you're deciding between SuitSupply and your local tailor. Definitely better to work with someone in person rather than on-line.

How well do the off-the-rack suits fit on you from SuitSupply and from your tailor? At your price point, it's better to buy an off-the-rack suit that requires minimal alterations rather than go custom. You don't know how the custom suit will turn out until after it has been made. If it fits poorly, no amount of alteration may be able to save it. A free remake policy is no guarantee that the next suit will fit well.

One word of advice about SuitSupply. I know you like a slimmer fit, but be careful -- my experience with them is that the sales associates there seem to be trained to recommend a full size down. You may end up with something too short and too tight if you don't use your own judgment.

I haven’t been to Suit Supply yet. I tried one of the off the rack suits at my tailor and he said it fit very well and wouldn’t recommend the need for a full custom suit. He recommended a few things to tailor to make it fit even better. So it sounds like the off the shelf would work just fine. At this point I’m definitely inclined to go with my local tailor. Has fantastic reviews too.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t been to Suit Supply yet. I tried one of the off the rack suits at my tailor and he said it fit very well and wouldn’t recommend the need for a full custom suit. He recommended a few things to tailor to make it fit even better. So it sounds like the off the shelf would work just fine. At this point I’m definitely inclined to go with my local tailor. Has fantastic reviews too.
sounds like a good plan then. Good luck with your interviews!

Verve

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, who’s your local tailor? I ask because I started looking for one back in 2020 in the Phoenix area.

I have had experience with 3 local tailors and none of them were great unfortunately in the MTM category, but 2 of the 3 were good alterations tailors.

There is a good tailor that travels to Scottsdale from Tucson that may be in the $1,000 range, and his suits are made by a local Italian tailor. If you fit OTR, then I guess my info is a mute point though.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member