• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

National Hockey League 2012-2013 Thread

imschatz

Reaction score

what I don't get is rollerblades. How the hell are you supposed to move laterally?
Move the same way on rollerblades as you do on regular ice-skates. Goalies don't slide much on their skates - mostly side-to-side movement is done by 'pivoting' (sharp c-cuts) or sliding on the pads. Sliding side-to-side on the pads tho .. would be interesting on pavement.

Last edited:

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Move the same way on rollerblades as you do on regular ice-skates. Goalies don't slide much on their skates - mostly side-to-side movement is done by 'pivoting' (sharp c-cuts) or sliding on the pads. Sliding side-to-side on the pads tho .. would be interesting on pavement.

Wat. Shuffle is the go-to lateral movement for short distances.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it harder to play in rollerblades than on ice skates. You can't dig into the pavement as much as ice and turning is a lot harder.

Last edited:

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once I started playing net on ice I stopped doing it on pavement and only skated out....Those memories of playing street hockey growing up, dat constantly rolling puck. Still have some road rash on my shoulder from a tough spill I took at high speed back checking.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree 100 % with this, its also a LOT harder on my knees...but its so much easier on my wallet.

Looks like you guys may have company soon.

previous posters weren't kidding about the NYP being NYC's premier hockey news source. They even cover roller hockey pick up games :laugh:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...kXxvL5DO?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Manhattan

The city has put a long-standing Greenwich Village hockey game on ice — outraging weekend warriors who say their scrimmages have become part of the fabric of the neighborhood.

Players recently tried to renew a permit to play at William F. Passannante Ballfield, at Sixth Avenue and Houston — only to be cross-checked by the Parks Department.

03.1n008.Robbins.C--300x450.jpg

“I think it’s terrible,” said Academy Award-winning actor Tim Robbins, an occasional player, before the final game at the park last Saturday. “It is a cross-section of New Yorkers. There are doctors, musicians. It’s a pretty special group of people, and this is kind of what New York is all about: sharing space.”

“We’re really trying to relocate them to an actual roller-hockey rink,” said Abramson.

Atop the list is the Tanahey Playground, at Cherry and Catherine streets, near the FDR Drive between the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges.

The site includes a dedicated roller-hockey rink. The problem, according to one of the Village hockey regulars, is that the suggested playground is two miles away from their beloved makeshift rink.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
NYC peoples: any suggestions for how I can get involved in some of these roller games?

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go Boston! Wow, the Pens are trying to play Boston's game and are over hitting, leading to turnovers. It's the same mistake they did with the Flyers last year.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

NYC peoples: any suggestions for how I can get involved in some of these roller games?

I want to say that its a pretty exclusive game. These guys have to know you to get in, is what I've heard, and to be honest, i don't really care for the type of game they play...with a ball into a garbage can. Plus, if Tim Robbins is involved forget it, he known to be a huge dick head. The goaltender on one of my roller teams used to play open ice at Chelsea and he got upset once when he was hit, cleanly by another player. He flipped out about it and called the cops, when they came he pulled the whole "you know who I am?" bullshit and tried to have the guy arrested. The guy who hit him was another city worker so the cops basically laughed him off and left.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I want to say that its a pretty exclusive game. These guys have to know you to get in, is what I've heard, and to be honest, i don't really care for the type of game they play...with a ball into a garbage can. Plus, if Tim Robbins is involved forget it, he known to be a huge dick head. The goaltender on one of my roller teams used to play open ice at Chelsea and he got upset once when he was hit, cleanly by another player. He flipped out about it and called the cops, when they came he pulled the whole "you know who I am?" bullshit and tried to have the guy arrested. The guy who hit him was another city worker so the cops basically laughed him off and left.

I'd think it would be all worth it if eva ammuri shows up to watch a game.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads