• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Tom Ford suit fit opinions?

Quarks

Reaction score
He does other job nicely but he is just not familiar with tailoring shoulder work for TF suits. All these at my own expense. Not happy at all.
I would always approach with caution when working around shoulders. It is better to work on end of the sleeves than to meddle with shoulders. That is why majority of RTW TF suits in boutiques have unfinished sleeves.

Again based on my own experiences, even then, depending on how picky you are (u have to be when purchasing such expensive suits), the quality of working buttonholes in certain boutiques are questionable. That being said, I can confidently vouch for the workmanship in HK boutique. I have them done a few times and the end result is always top-notch. Hence, I would not hesitate to take the trouble to fly there at my own convenience to have them fixed, than to have someone else do it locally and wrecked it for life.

Chopper88

Reaction score
I think you are showing your lack of "high end" experience here.

I am sure TF has tailors that can chip a shoulder.

lurker[1].gif

Do you have any before and after pics of such work? I keep reading there are two camps saying "This is easy to do for a good tailor" and "No this is impossible!".

Would like to see some proof of a bad fit before, and a great fit after.

Corneliani

Reaction score
Well my quest has finally proven successful with an O Connor (size 50), it fits me much better OTR and i'll take it to TF in London to be tailored. I think it will just be to get the trousers and sleeve length shortened.

May I ask what shirt you're wearing in that photo? Love the way the collars hold on it.

DazNorthEast

Reaction score
That was a William Hunt shirt I got for £40 about a year ago.
I've got 2 TF classic collar shirts coming with the suit and those collars are the best I've seen yet for holding up.

Last edited:

DazNorthEast

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Well I received my suit back today and I have to say I'm really disappointed.

The arms now feel too tight and if I lift my arms it feels like the whole jacket moves.
I also got my jeans tapered but you now see a noticeable difference from the knee (MC Hammer look) rather than a gradual taper and they feel a bit twisted below the knee.

I'll have to make another trip to London now at great expense but my main worry is I feel like the suit jacket is ruined.

Just FYI I bought the suit elsewhere but took it to TF in London to be tailored to make sure it was done by the brand experts but after spending £305 on tailoring costs I'm feeling really disappointed.

Darren

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that looks terrible........ouch! Just remember, a good tailor is a good tailor. Most high-end retail stores don't have good tailors. I've seen and experienced butcher jobs from Saks, Polo Mansion, and even Bergdorf Goodman. I only trust my own tailor regardless of any incentives offered by in-house services (which are usually outsourced anyway!).

So, what is the next step for you? Can they reimburse you or provide a replacement jacket?

DazNorthEast

Reaction score

that looks terrible........ouch! Just remember, a good tailor is a good tailor. Most high-end retail stores don't have good tailors. I've seen and experienced butcher jobs from Saks, Polo Mansion, and even Bergdorf Goodman. I only trust my own tailor regardless of any incentives offered by in-house services (which are usually outsourced anyway!).

So, what is the next step for you? Can they reimburse you or provide a replacement jacket?

No idea at the moment, I'm guessing they will have to provide a replacement jacket.
It's already cost me over £100 in travel costs for the original trip plus the £305 tailoring costs and now it's going to be another £100+ to travel back not to mention the 6 hour round trip.

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see.

Who's idea was it to alter the shoulder? With a decent amount of models and cuts to choose from I'm surprised you didn't get an item that fit you in the shoulders off the rack. Golden rule is to always make sure shoulders fit first prior to altering any part of a jacket........can't believe you even got into this predicament.

Please keep us posted on the outcome......good luck!

DazNorthEast

Reaction score
I thought so too!

You'll see in my post about taking it in that I thought it just needed the sleeves shortened, it felt a nice fit.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads