• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Tom Ford suit fit opinions?

Bubble water

Reaction score
Can't see it really good but the shoulders look a bit to wide and too angular. This results in an extreme V because at the waist it's pretty "hollow". If you could post a picture of a 48 it's easier to compare.

Last edited:

AdamWill

Reaction score
if it feels tight, it *is* tight. I've never seen that rule of thumb be wrong. it's possible you're simply between a 48 and a 50...it happens.

DazNorthEast

Reaction score
Thanks Adam

The 48 felt like a better fit initially but as soon as I moved the upper arms went tight.
I'm wondering if a 50 in a more aggressive base cut would be the way to go?
I won't be able to try on again for another few weeks now (I only visit London monthly for business).

Cheers

Darren

AdamWill

Reaction score
Thanks Adam

The 48 felt like a better fit initially but as soon as I moved the upper arms went tight.
I won't be able to try on again for another few weeks now (I only visit London monthly for business).

Cheers

Darren

No idea, I don't know anything about TF particularly or their different sizes/cuts. It was just a flyby :)

Quarks

Reaction score

Thanks Adam

Cheers

Darren

Talking about an aggressive cut, I know Wetherby has an aggressive cut on the jacket (matched with clownish pleated pants which I am not a fan of) but has since been discontinued.

Did you by any chance see another cut another than a windsor?
Having a browse at the made-to-measure book recently, there is Spencer cut that seemed to have a more aggressive look than the windsor. I am guessing it is a Base B? The lapels are wider like the Wetherby, with the pants a tad slimmer than Windsor.

DazNorthEast

Reaction score
Well my quest has finally proven successful with an O Connor (size 50), it fits me much better OTR and i'll take it to TF in London to be tailored. I think it will just be to get the trousers and sleeve length shortened.

Last edited:

DazNorthEast

Reaction score
So I took my suit to be tailored and it requires;

Shoulder length reduction
Sleeve shortening
1cm added to the seat of the trousers to allow the pockets to sit flat.
The trousers shortened and a cuff adding.

I should get the suit back in a week or so and I'll post a few pics.

Darren

Last edited:

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I took my suit to be tailored and it requires;

Shoulder length reduction

Darren

You really don't want to mess with the shoulders (I assume you mean width). You need the shoulder and chest to fit without adjustment. The tailor can adjust most everything else.

DazNorthEast

Reaction score
I'm guessing that's what they're doing?
The Tom Ford tailor put pins all around the arm opening but this is my first time getting a tailored suit so I could be wrong.

Last edited:

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You really don't want to mess with the shoulders (I assume you mean width). You need the shoulder and chest to fit without adjustment. The tailor can adjust most everything else.

These alterations are child's play for a good alterations tailor.

Quarks

Reaction score
I had a TF suit messed up by a highly regarded tailor (prev a MTM tailor for E. Zegna) after a sleeve alteration from the shoulders. The robing of the shoulders in the TF were wrecked and it never wears the same again. Never allow anyone to touch the shoulders, no matter how 'experienced' they are unless they made the jacket themselves.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a TF suit messed up by a highly regarded tailor (prev a MTM tailor for E. Zegna) after a sleeve alteration from the shoulders. The robing of the shoulders in the TF were wrecked and it never wears the same again. Never allow anyone to touch the shoulders, no matter how 'experienced' they are unless they made the jacket themselves.

He's not highly regarded now is he?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads