• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Balmoral Boots

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Were adjustments to your lasts needed? And if yes, did the adjustments further improve their fit?

michael, it's been a while.

generally, i prefer a loose fit on all of my shoes and like you, i have an high instep.

the first two pairs(vintage 1994) are still in service and going strong. the last has been changed in the meantime. actually it is not an improvement in fit but in appearance. the changes are minor but steady.

i didn't have to many rtw at that time, due to fitting issues. now, i am set.

meanwhile i have a sweet spot for shoe restorings. so either rtw or custom made. all of them get fitted after my pattern and it works, at least for me.

again, i love the good news about your project with cliff.

Borrelli

Reaction score
Very good to hear about your experience with Springline and Cliff Michael. I think I'll bite the bullet and see about travelling to Springline. It is an investment now, but definitely worthwile in the end I think. I just don't feel like searching and trying in the RTW department anymore. I have some shoes that fit fairly well, but I'm always going to have a limited choice in the RTW due to high instep and wider feet.

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
Fritzl, B.S., and anyone else who would like to contribute: What were your first impressions upon wearing your first bespoke shoes?

Did your shoes feel tighter...or more snug/closer fitting, than your RTW shoes, upon the first wearing?

Were adjustments to your lasts needed? And if yes, did the adjustments further improve their fit?

Upon further bespoke commissions, do your bespoke shoes feel more snug than your RTW lasted shoes, or have your feet adapted?

Michael - My experience is basically the same as yours with two makers. The fit is certainly much closer to my feet and so I get the whoosh (for lack of a better word) of air movement when I put them on and take them off. That was and still is very different from what I am used to with RTW. I have a bad size foot (US 12A) and so getting a correct fit with the bespoke shoes after years of wearing bad sized RTW shoes was enlightening. With one of the makers, the fit and sizing was correct right from the start and so we did not make any adjustments to the last. With the second maker, I didn't like the initial last shape based on the test shoe and so we changed it completely. I really like the changes that we made. However, I didn't get a test shoe with the second last and that was a mistake. I have a minor fit issue with the final shoe that I am going to have to resolve.

ajv

Reaction score
Fritzl, B.S., and anyone else who would like to contribute: What were your first impressions upon wearing your first bespoke shoes?

Did your shoes feel tighter...or more snug/closer fitting, than your RTW shoes, upon the first wearing?

Upon further bespoke commissions, do your bespoke shoes feel more snug than your RTW lasted shoes, or have your feet adapted?

Michael,

What you are adressing is the exact difference between RTW and bespoke, the fit is just better adjusted with bespoke. The arch support is done just for you and not to fit every 10 E in the world.
And then comes a question of preference, I love my shoes to fit tight, almost like surgeon gloves, as my feet do not swell during the day.
Most of the times, when I wear the trial pair, the shoe-maker notices that he can take some material off here and there. Minor adjustment in mind you, but still adjustments.

Adrian

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You haven't told us if your shoes are still at a trial stage (unfinished) or are the real-Mc-Coy already. They are your shoes, your lasts and you have to feel comfortable. Presuming your shoes are finished, wear them for some three months and then decide what you want altered (if anything).

In a bespoke last, any section can be altered easily: you might want to have a smidgeon shaved-off here and a bit more added-on there. The only thing that is not easily altered is the height of the heel and the toe spring (how much the toe is off the ground). Even that can be altered, Springline can scan your existing last, digitally manipulate the height of the heel and turn a new last (while all the other parameters stay the same.)

Just wear the shoes and take it from there.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bengal-stripe;3203708 said:
You haven’t told us if your shoes are still at a trial stage (unfinished) or are the real-Mc-Coy already?

These are throw away test shoes. The first commission will be of the same design, but a new shoe will be done altogether.

The final shoe will be the same overall design, but with: wing tip, medallion, imitation lacing, leather facings on the side gussetting, change the angle of the gussetting, and add imitation brogueing along the balmoral line so it will look like a faux balmoral oxford to the unwashed masses.

Clifford used some really simple black leather to do the sample shoe. Unless he requests it, I will not be shipping this sample shoe back to him.

My only regret, which I knew when I first committed to this experience, was that I would be unable to do an in person fitting.

I plan on investing on a bespoke commission with G&G in May (another obscene lazyman/faux laced Frankenstein that would revolt most of you...especially Luk-cha). But in 6 months, I will have a fitting to determine the accuracy of the G&G last/shoe.

It will be interesting to compare the fit of Cliffords product to that of G&G

Borrelli

Reaction score
I'm currently talking to Springline about a date for measurements, hope to go there before the end of this month. I think I'll rent a car from one of the London airports, will be much easier to get around. I'll probably visit some of the factory shops while I'm there.

Michael, can I ask how long it took for the lasts to be made?

misterdonuts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Borrelli
I'm currently talking to Springline about a date for measurements, hope to go there before the end of this month. I think I'll rent a car from one of the London airports, will be much easier to get around. I'll probably visit some of the factory shops while I'm there.

Michael, can I ask how long it took for the lasts to be made?

Take whatever lead time that Spring Line tells you and double it. I recommend you ask for a try-on pair and have a fitting in person with both Cliff and Michael (of SL) in attendance.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by misterdonuts
I recommend you ask for a try-on pair and have a fitting in person with both Cliff and Michael (of SL) in attendance.

this

Borrelli

Reaction score
I was going to have a test pair made anyway, but this is a good recommendation, thanks. Northampton does mean some travel for me, but it's not the other end of the world.

misterdonuts

Reaction score
I would submit that it is the ONLY way to do it. I just find it difficult to envisage how the necessary adjustments can be communicated over the telephone and email, even with photo attachments. The adjustments that I needed involved changes to the lasts as well as minor changes to the pattern: I just can't imagine how that could have been communicated and interpreted over emails or phone calls. At the very least, the exercise will minimise the chances of dissatisfaction with the finished product. Well worth the effort for everyone involved.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Misterdonuts advise is quite sage. Unfortunately I am too far away to follow it

Springline will tell you they can do it in 2 weeks...but it might actually take 3-4 weeks.

I'm wearing the sample shoes even as I type and they fit better and better every day...especially in my problem area (high instep).

Borelli, I opted to take the coach/bus from Heathrow to & from Northampton and am glad I did not have the hassle of renting a car.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics