• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM in the UK…

FirstFormula

Reaction score
Good evening fellow members… I’m a very long time lurker, but first time poster, as the cliche goes…

I’ve been interested in finer menswear for many, many year and express it primarily through what I wear for work.

I particularly enjoy a nice suit and all the paraphernalia that goes with it, however, I’ve never found off the rack to be a particularly good fit and so for the last ten years or so I’ve bought either bespoke or made to measure.

I started with a local tailor up north - Rodney Cundle, who made a couple for me. I moved on to Norton and Townsend, who made one for me. I’ve had a Gieves and Hawkes MTM but felt I’d hit the sweet spot with Mason & Sons, who have made my last three and with whom I was about to make a fourth.

Long story short, on the verge of ordering my next suit, Mason& Sons appear to have gone dark, no response to messages, no social media posts, no answer to calls and no response to messages.

This has been a month or so.

For me, this is a huge shame. I love the end product and until now the service was superb.

Clearly waiting and seeing is an option, but while I work out how long to do that for, I want to consider where else I could find something comparable.

I’m looking for either MTM or bespoke, when I order I usually take a three piece suit with a spare pair of trousers in white conservative worsted cloths.

My budget is between £1500-2000, no more. I’m based in the midlands but travel to London regularly.

Naturally I’ve scoured the Internet myself and have a few ideas, not all of these sorts of services publish their prices, which is rather unhelpful. I’m also conscious that the ‘scene’ changes regularly and so who may have been recommended in a post twelve months ago, may well not be the choice today.

I appreciate that this is almost a ‘how long is a piece of string’ type question, so I would value the views of the membership. Are you aware of anything off the beaten track, is there someone mainstream you can recommend… all views and opinions would be appreciated, though I must stress that my budget is fixed, I’m not up for exceeding it.

In advance - thank you.

Last edited:

King_Harrold

Reaction score
Colmore Tailors in Birmingham are very good and I got half canvas with Dugdale cloth well below the bottom end of your budget.

TomTom

Reaction score
Mason and Sons are back and running in full swing. I had a appointment a couple of weeks ago so reach out to them and I'm sure Elliot will get back to you quickly.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Post from Aug 2021. Hopefully OP got back to his favorite tailor by now. (I wonder what happened. People got sick?)

FirstFormula

Reaction score
I got a response in the end and have since ordered a few more suits. Though I’m considering changing things up. It hasn’t been the same service as once it was.

FirstFormula

Reaction score
I’ve been looking at -

- Cad and the Dandy
- Clements and Church
- Steed
- Whitcombe and Shaftesbury

All similar price points, my budget is broadly £2,000-£3,000 for a three piece suit with a second pair of trousers. There is some flex in the price, but I don’t want to go too mad.

Satmoche

Reaction score
I’ve been looking at -

- Cad and the Dandy
- Clements and Church
- Steed

All similar price points, my budget is broadly £2,000-£3,000 for a three piece suit with a second pair of trousers. There is some flex in the price, but I don’t want to go too mad.
You also have Anglo-Italian in London.

Boggis

Reaction score
I’ve been looking at -

- Cad and the Dandy
- Clements and Church
- Steed

Redmayne is worth considering too, Tom visits London regularly, or you could head up to Wigton if you fancy some sight seeing in Cumbria.

FirstFormula

Reaction score
Redmayne is worth considering too, Tom visits London regularly, or you could head up to Wigton if you fancy some sight seeing in Cumbria.
I was in touch with Redmayne way back when as I began this journey. I got down the road on an order but we couldn’t see eye to eye on what I wanted and so parted ways. I understand this to be a very unusual experience, most clients seem to rave about them.

Boggis

Reaction score
I was in touch with Redmayne way back when as I began this journey. I got down the road on an order but we couldn’t see eye to eye on what I wanted and so parted ways. I understand this to be a very unusual experience, most clients seem to rave about them.
That's fair enough, I think when you're having something made it's really important to be on the same wavelength.
I was happy with my MTM from Redmayne and would definitely go back.

jb335

Reaction score
That's fair enough, I think when you're having something made it's really important to be on the same wavelength.
I was happy with my MTM from Redmayne and would definitely go back.
Would love to hear a little more about your MTM experience with Redmayne. I'm trying to decide between them and Steed for a suit (I'm US-based), it'll be my first experience with MTM.

FirstFormula

Reaction score
Would love to hear a little more about your MTM experience with Redmayne. I'm trying to decide between them and Steed for a suit (I'm US-based), it'll be my first experience with MTM.
I don’t want to speak too ill of them. I commissioned a suit, it was made and presented, and I didn’t think it fitted at all as it should.

I relayed this back to them - the to and fro took a long time and they did not share my concerns.

I wasn’t happy to proceed with the order as was and so we agreed to rescind the agreement and both go our separate ways.

I understand my experience is a very rare one. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I read about anyone having a negative experience with Redmayne. I wouldn’t steer you away from them even after that. We had a disagreement, it was perfectly civil and I ended up none the worse for the experience.

I’ve seen them make some lovely things since then and if I could swallow my silly ego, there is a part of me that would like to try again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads