• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

Nader393

Reaction score
Wow. Holy crap that looks like a lot of work. Definitely a labor of love.
Ha ha ha ha!!... you ain't seen nothing. If there's any interest, I can show all the titanium bits I've fabricated, too. So much titanium...

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just binged Long Way Up. Was a huge fan of Round and Down, and re-watch them every few years at least but my observations on Long Way Up:

1) Choosing the electric bikes was a mistake. The first few episodes seemed to be nothing but "where will we charge our bikes/my bike is running out of range" instead of enjoying the locale. I mean, when I watch a travelogue like this, I don't mind the odd stress like "we may miss the ferry" but it seemed like being constantly on edge about the charging situation, which took the fun out of the ride itself

2) The episodes seemed rushed. Whereas the first two had great interaction with locals, cool side trips, visits etc., this series seemed rushed somehow in a way that wasn't enjoyable

3) I get Mexico can be a dangerous place, but seems like they blew threw Mexico in the equivalent of a few minutes riding time, which was a shame, cause that was the part i was looking forward to most

That said was still a great way to spend an afternoon, and I enjoy Ewan/Charlie's on-screen chemistry, but I just felt maybe Round and Down had both set the bar impossibly high.

Reaction score
I'm fan of Grand Prix so of course Kawasaki, Honda,[due to being a "kid in soul" and a fan of speed] and a Ducati.

Have others in my country from classic as Guzzi and Cagiva that my father drove and passed to me and I collect, along with Aprilia and Ducati. Looking to import them as well but here is now where to park them or drive them all the year.

Nice to see others sharing this hobby.

Last edited:

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just binged Long Way Up. Was a huge fan of Round and Down, and re-watch them every few years at least but my observations on Long Way Up:

1) Choosing the electric bikes was a mistake. The first few episodes seemed to be nothing but "where will we charge our bikes/my bike is running out of range" instead of enjoying the locale. I mean, when I watch a travelogue like this, I don't mind the odd stress like "we may miss the ferry" but it seemed like being constantly on edge about the charging situation, which took the fun out of the ride itself

2) The episodes seemed rushed. Whereas the first two had great interaction with locals, cool side trips, visits etc., this series seemed rushed somehow in a way that wasn't enjoyable

3) I get Mexico can be a dangerous place, but seems like they blew threw Mexico in the equivalent of a few minutes riding time, which was a shame, cause that was the part i was looking forward to most

That said was still a great way to spend an afternoon, and I enjoy Ewan/Charlie's on-screen chemistry, but I just felt maybe Round and Down had both set the bar impossibly high.
We binged Round and Down and started Up but took a pause. I really enjoyed the Asia part of Round, the middle part of Down (after they decided to not rush anymore), and looking forward to Up, but was like "Electric? Isn't that going to be a bit of a problem?"

I agree, I really like the friendship the two riders have, so at least that's a plus. Took a ride with @KamoteJoe yesterday from SF to Stinson Beach, it was a great way to start the year.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We binged Round and Down and started Up but took a pause. I really enjoyed the Asia part of Round, the middle part of Down (after they decided to not rush anymore), and looking forward to Up, but was like "Electric? Isn't that going to be a bit of a problem?"

I agree, I really like the friendship the two riders have, so at least that's a plus. Took a ride with @KamoteJoe yesterday from SF to Stinson Beach, it was a great way to start the year.

I may try to get out today, as it's been perfect riding weather in east Texas this week. Actually thinking about checking out an older R 1200 C just for kicks, but I told myself when I pared down initially that I'd only ever keep 2 bikes at a time, since storing bikes ended up being a huge hassle when we lived in Philly. That said, I love the look of the bike, and it's been a **** year, so I may say ******* and do it anyway.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also going to take a dirt bike course so I'll be better able to take the Scrambler 1200XC beast off road. Really looking forward to that, because I love combining motorcycles and camping.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm also going to take a dirt bike course so I'll be better able to take the Scrambler 1200XC beast off road. Really looking forward to that, because I love combining motorcycles and camping.

Nice! I cut my teeth on dirt bikes, but it's been decades since I've taken a bike off road, so I would probably need to start from scratch rather than fool myself into thinking I've retained any skills whatsoever from those experiences. I'd love to combine bikes and camping myself, but I think my tolerance for mosquitoes, lumpy bedrolls, and campfire coffee make it very unlikely I will do this in any serious way.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! I cut my teeth on dirt bikes, but it's been decades since I've taken a bike off road, so I would probably need to start from scratch rather than fool myself into thinking I've retained any skills whatsoever from those experiences. I'd love to combine bikes and camping myself, but I think my tolerance for mosquitoes, lumpy bedrolls, and campfire coffee make it very unlikely I will do this in any serious way.
My setup is lightweight but pretty nice, and everything fits in the pannier and bag on the seat. I'll post a setup next time I go.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have taken a couple of adventure riding classes and they were super helpful. I have been going to the local OHV park to practice in the dedicated dirt bike section (not the MX track, LOL). I still suck but my confidence is increasing. Of course, now we've got like a solid week of rain rolling in so any riding out at the OHV park is off the table (super slick clay mud is not fun for me).

Nader393

Reaction score
The same way I had to fabricate intakes to adapt the later model head to the earlier bottom end, I had to fabricate an exhaust system from scratch.

I went with a two into one, high pipe scrambler system with reverse megaphone that I had to make as well.

Had to make numerous cuts in the tubing to get the right bends. Then tacked it together for fitment before final welding. I made it a lot harder for myself rather than just making twin pipes hanging low.

This project would’ve been more fun if I didn’t have to do it all crammed in the corner of my other unheated shed. Now I need to make a heat shield for it.

6983AFDF-5572-43C8-B66E-A44596D57E0D.jpeg

06C0AC19-3DA8-4054-B6E7-DF1FE08878BA.jpeg

5ED5A6CD-3415-429F-B87A-B9F7A036B4B9.jpeg

540C980A-AA83-4DBD-8D44-7A350E7953CC.jpeg

979AAC75-7177-414B-820E-B4C18751A6BF.jpeg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
but I think my tolerance for mosquitoes, lumpy bedrolls, and campfire coffee make it very unlikely I will do this in any serious way.

The Aeropress solves one of those issues in a small/light package!

Although I will secretly admit that I've switched to instant coffee for camping...If there is a Via flavor you can accept, it is fast and easy (cleaning up coffee grounds is always a PITA without running water, although the aeropress is the least messy option by far). I've yet to try any of the Fancy instant Options that get good reviews (but cost a couple bucks per serving).

Also, a no-go on a bike (barely had room for it in the car), but we got one of these for our extended trip this fall:
almost 4" thick foam/inflatable...what lumps? There's a 1-person version that is a slightly more manageable size though...

Mosquitoes...well...I guess you just gotta go places/seasons where they aren't around. No good solution there.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Aeropress solves one of those issues in a small/light package!

Although I will secretly admit that I've switched to instant coffee for camping...If there is a Via flavor you can accept, it is fast and easy (cleaning up coffee grounds is always a PITA without running water, although the aeropress is the least messy option by far). I've yet to try any of the Fancy instant Options that get good reviews (but cost a couple bucks per serving).

Also, a no-go on a bike (barely had room for it in the car), but we got one of these for our extended trip this fall:
almost 4" thick foam/inflatable...what lumps? There's a 1-person version that is a slightly more manageable size though...

Mosquitoes...well...I guess you just gotta go places/seasons where they aren't around. No good solution there.

I think this is the year. There are a lot of places within a 5 to 6 hour ride of Houston that would make interesting weekend trips and in a fit of optimism, I bought a new tent and sleeping bags last year and damnit, I intend to use them! In all seriousness, I'd like to see some of the Gulf Coast beaches this summer, and Hill Country is just a nice place to be, so yeah, thinking this is the year.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So just finished Long Way Up, and yeah, it seemed more about the bikes, and less about the trip. That said, Claudio's video using the drone really made up for it. Really striking scenery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads