• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

Deuce

Reaction score
Looking for my first bike. Would prefer to only spend around $1,000. It will only really be used for around town and to and from work (about 5 miles). I am thinking about going with an old dual sport but am a little overwhelmed with all the options. Some of the models I have been looking at: DR350, DR650, TW200, XL350, XL600. Any help or suggestions would be super helpful.

I would like to eventually get it to look something like this:

XL600

TW200 w/ Honda tank

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Old bikes rarely make good first bikes

dohare

Reaction score
Looking for my first bike. Would prefer to only spend around $1,000. It will only really be used for around town and to and from work (about 5 miles). I am thinking about going with an old dual sport but am a little overwhelmed with all the options. Some of the models I have been looking at: DR350, DR650, TW200, XL350, XL600. Any help or suggestions would be super helpful.

I would like to eventually get it to look something like this:

XL600

TW200 w/ Honda tank
these are street legal?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The original bikes may have been street legal, but those ones definitely are not.

I don't think old bikes are terrible first bikes. They might require a bit of mechanical aptitude to maintain, but a lot of people don't even keep their first bike for very long. If you buy it and it works for a year with nothing more than oil changes and you can sell it off to someone else...you've done well.

Deuce

Reaction score

The original bikes may have been street legal, but those ones definitely are not.

I don't think old bikes are terrible first bikes. They might require a bit of mechanical aptitude to maintain, but a lot of people don't even keep their first bike for very long. If you buy it and it works for a year with nothing more than oil changes and you can sell it off to someone else...you've done well.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why aren't they street legal? It looks like they both have plates, brake light, head light, mirror... I don't think Colorado requires turn signals.

dohare

Reaction score
i don't see brake lights, am i blind? and some states are also very strict about license plate positioning, I'm almost positive if i were to ride around NJ with one of these a cop would pull me over for not being able to read the tags.

Deuce

Reaction score

i don't see brake lights, am i blind? and some states are also very strict about license plate positioning, I'm almost positive if i were to ride around NJ with one of these a cop would pull me over for not being able to read the tags.

They are pretty small and tough to see. I live in Colorado, so I think they are little more lax with motorcycles. From what I have read, all you need is headlight, tail light, one mirror, and horn.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alright, well now that I can see those brake lights (hopefully the oncoming traffic can see them too), I guess they are legal in CO.

Still would want turn signals though. Hand signals are not so great. How do you hand signal a left turn across busy traffic? You reach out your arm, but then traffic doesn't clear up so you have to keep slowing down and maybe even stop. Now you've got to reach your arm back in to operate the clutch...and now you are just slowed/stopped in the middle of a busy road without a signal indicating why. Goes double if it is dark out.

Would much rather keep both hands on the bars (especially for a beginner)

epb

Reaction score

Based on the above, why a dual sport?

As for age of bike - if you're mechanically inclined and want experience working on an old bike, buy something old. If you actually want seat time, get something newer that you can just hop on and ride. I've got a 1978 and 1988 bike and had a 2006 Honda until a couple of weeks ago - being able to walk out, hop on and ride is a wonderful thing.

Of the bikes listed, the DR line is so beloved I don't think you can go wrong. I've ridden a cousin's TW200 and thought it was fun - lightweight, peppy, easy to ride. He lives in rural KY, though, where a dual sport makes more sense.

Last edited:

Deuce

Reaction score

Based on the above, why a dual sport?

As for age of bike - if you're mechanically inclined and want experience working on an old bike, buy something old. If you actually want seat time, get something newer that you can just hope on and ride. I've for a 1978 and 1988 bike and had a 2006 Honda until a couple of weeks ago - being able to walk out, hop on and ride is a wonderful thing.

Of the bikes listed, the DR line is so beloved I don't think you can go wrong. I've ridden a cousin's TW200 and thought it was fun - lightweight, peppy, easy to ride. He lives in rural KY, though, where a dual sport makes more sense.

I live on dirt roads and also, I just really like the looks of them when they are all stripped down without the plastics. I was also looking at Yamaha XS650's before that white Honda caught my eye. I would like to get something newer (electric start) but I just don't want to spend that much money until I am sure I will actually ride long term.

dohare

Reaction score
if you live on dirt roads then what i said about turn signals and brake lights is probably irrelevant haha.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Gilleo