• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most overpriced bespoke suits, Kiton or Brioni?

suitedcboy

Reaction score
Successful marketing has done two things well: 1. Created within your mind a need for something where maybe no need previously existed.
2. Created a sense of value that fits with the price they place on their wares.

If these two things above are done well then A person with the means to buy a $15000 suit will feel different when wearing that suit and will be happy he paid that much for that suit and likely also feel a bit superior for doing it.

I think for many of the rest of us, even those with the means to easily pay that level of price, our value sense is scaled differently and the marketing and other factors have not convinced us that those prices buy us anything that is better or would make us feel better.

Erli

Reaction score
IMO, for those who consider it's overpriced, you are just not their target market, so don't worry about it :D

duggyald

Reaction score
IMO, for those who consider it's overpriced, you are just not their target market, so don't worry about it
biggrin.gif

There is truth to that. If you a new associate a law firm, for example, just starting and working your way up, you may not afford to purchase a Kiton or a Brioni. Your boss would be more qualified for that.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is truth to that. If you a new associate a law firm, for example, just starting and working your way up, you may not afford to purchase a Kiton or a Brioni. Your boss would be more qualified for that.

For real??

kelwatches

Reaction score
Well, for one I do not think they are overpriced.

Simple demand and supply issue, if they were really "overpriced" they would have no customers and closed shop long ago.

I would say they are not great value for money though.

On the flip side, we really need brands like Kiton and Brioni, who use their marketing powers to educate the masses what a really good Suit is about. Or at least aspire many people to own a very good suit. That in itself is invaluable. Its like starbucks popularizing coffee (though not to that extend) not great value for money coffee, but good coffee nevertheless.

Kiton and Brioni on a whole also hire and train more tailors and sales people on their business model, well someone have to pay for them. These are good people btw, and I think not a small amount of them will venture to be a independent tailor someday that SF loves to deal with

2cents...

sridhar3

Reaction score
Beats the hell out of buying from a designer that charges an arm and a leg *and* sells you a low-quality product.

GQman

Reaction score
Most so called brands are overpriced. Is a Patek really worth $500k? Probably not. Like someone else said, if you complaining about the price then these products are probably not targeting you. I'd argue though that a (very good) tailor has the same mark up percentage as these brands mentioned above. When I started out at the firm I'm with now I decided to get a decent suit. Not knowing that much about suiting I naturally gravitated to the big brands, I settled on a charcoal grey Gucci suit. I had it tailored at my local tailor. He said he'd do me a fully bespoke suit for R15 000 (South African Rand) more or less what I paid at Gucci. Granted, the quality and fit from my tailor is superior but his overall costs are very low and his mark up pretty high. He operated from his upmarket home and works alone so his overheads are minimal. However, I'm pretty sure the bespoke suit he made for me cost him no more than R3500 to produce, the rest is pure profit. Contrast that with the overheads of my local Gucci boutique, my tailor is also over charging. I'll be honest, if I could afford a Kiton I'd buy one (or three). I'd also argue that Kiton and Brioni are alot more understated than other brands such as Armani. I still get more compliments from people when they discover my grey suit is a Gucci than any of my fully bespoke numbers. My Louis Vuitton ties get more compliments than my Brioni ties. So I'd say overall these brands (Kiton and Brioni) are pretty understated.

duggyald

Reaction score
I heard that William Fioravanti bespoke suits can fetch for $10,000 and more. That is quite a luxury suit. Imagine spilling wine on that suit....

rcc1

Reaction score
Well, I bought a Brioni blazer and I can tell for sure: I own some BB blazers, and my Brioni is FAR away better at least than any BB. I mean, it's a BIG difference. When I wear my Brioni, I felt like if I were a bilionaire. I don't know about Kiton, but Brioni certainly not over priced in my opinion.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I heard that William Fioravanti bespoke suits can fetch for $10,000 and more. That is quite a luxury suit. Imagine spilling wine on that suit....

If you're kind of baller who'd be wearing a $10k suit. Just let the valet deal with it, and change into one of your spare ones.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, I bought a Brioni blazer and I can tell for sure: I own some BB blazers, and my Brioni is FAR away better  at least than any BB. I mean, it's a BIG difference. When I wear my Brioni, I felt like if I were a bilionaire. I don't know about Kiton, but Brioni certainly not over priced in my opinion.

Brioni>BB? Who knew?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads