• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most elegant men's dress shoe ever! With Pictures and POLLING!

Most elegant men's dress shoe ever?

• Yes

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Kushcoma9000

Reaction score
These wholecut stingrays of cdmoore and winot are interesting:
Wow that looks amazing, especially this image
c5b8fbe867246390996d61daf4c5e4aa-jpg.863206

But I won't deny that the stingray skin makes it look flashy lol

well-kept

Reaction score
I'm with you...I'm the least flashy person on the planet but I prefer wholecuts and seamless wholecuts above all. I like the simplicity. I like the lack of pretension.

I suspect the real problem is that the simplicity and elegance embodied in a wholecut seems "simple"...easy to duplicate...when in fact, it may be the hardest thing to do...esp. to do well...in shoemaking. In any field.

And point of fact, again...FWIW, it is no harder to maintain a spit-shine on a pair of wholecuts than on a pair of captoe brogues. It is the toe puff that prevents creasing in the extreme forepart of the shoe, not the toe cap.

The toe cap, like other components of a pieced shoe works to "de-focus" our attention. Re-direct our eyes. The way a silver gum wrapper will divert the attention of a magpie. The same thing could be said for the perfs on a toe cap or even that self-same mirror shine. At some point we lose all sense of the shoe--of the "gestalt" of the shoe, we're so busy tracing the baroque, even florid, ornamentation that has virtually no meaningful function.

Mind, I've nothing against any of that but call it for what it is.
I agree with all of DWF's observations, and especially appreciate the added notion of lack of pretense. Elegance and simplicity - of form, of expression, of thought - are often arrived at after long and arduous study, aspiration and labor. To express a complex and meaningful idea in few words is rightly regarded as an achievement. In the visual arts, Picasso and Matisse drawings are a point of departure. And before I violate my own point... enough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads