• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modeling

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with modeling? I would really love to try my hand at it as I have the right figure for today's climate. This desire is the reason for my decision to go to school near NYC. Any experiences or tips?

hobo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
Does anyone have any experience with modeling? I would really love to try my hand at it as I have the right figure for today's climate. This desire is the reason for my decision to go to school near NYC. Any experiences or tips?
Get some photos taken and comp cards done up, then shop yourself around.

Go to school first, think about modeling or whatever second. It is extremely unlikely you'll be successful enough to be able to forgo college. Long term, you need your education to make a decent living. If you can get hired, then have fun modeling along the way.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what kind of modeling? Print? Runway?
My wife did some modeling a few yrs back. She just had some pics taken, had some comp cards made, and sent it to a few agencies. She got picked up by the Talent Shop (here in Detroit) and Shirley Hamilton (in Chicago). She just wanted to do print work...but she got calls from Shirley Hamilton all the time asking to audition for film roles...she actually had an audition for a minor part in "The Breakup".
She did "Hot Import Nights" import auto shows in Det and Chicago and a few print ads.

Pundit

Reaction score
From an outsiders perspective, and assuming you are a guy, unless your into it for the scene, action and drugs, there is not long term money in it. Some have perhaps launched other careers from it but they are few.

"Careers" where the barrier to entry in low, are often times short.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, no, I do not want to do it for any "real" money. I would like to do runway. I do not plan on foregoing college, quite the opposite actually, I ought to be done in three years considering all of the credits I have/am in the process of amassing. My desired career is not modeling, actually I would like to get a Bachelors in Biology or Chem and then go for a Law degree and end up being a either a Patent Attorney or something of the like.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've posted similar comments on other "modeling" threads, but it really is NOT a romantic, exciting, friendly, or nice environment in which to be, from what I've seen/heard. Be prepared for people to be cutthroat bitches, in-fighting queens, etc. As well, every single flaw will be highlighted and harped upon in order to make you fit into some pre-conceived "image." It's not about YOU, Gravitas the Human, it's about making Gravitas' Body fit into some advertising campaign or designer's idea. You don't strike me as a very vapid person and I think that can be a drawback... modeling seems to require a certain disregard and shallowness in order to make work.

This isn't going to be a trip in which you feel better about yourself; be prepared to be shitkicked and made to feel like a speck of dust and not very well paid. Also be prepared to have scuzzy photographers and PR people trying to make you give up sexual favors for their favor.

If you can handle all of that, it might have its interest and might be a unique environment to try for a year or two. BUT, if it were me, I'd just focus on your school and maybe try to get an internship somewhere doing something peripheral to see if it is a world in which you really want to be a part.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
PM some pics to me and I'll let you know if you're the right type. I'm...uhh...a talent agent.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I've posted similar comments on other "modeling" threads, but it really is NOT a romantic, exciting, friendly, or nice environment in which to be, from what I've seen/heard. Be prepared for people to be cutthroat bitches, in-fighting queens, etc. As well, every single flaw will be highlighted and harped upon in order to make you fit into some pre-conceived "image." It's not about YOU, Gravitas the Human, it's about making Gravitas' Body fit into some advertising campaign or designer's idea. You don't strike me as a very vapid person and I think that can be a drawback... modeling seems to require a certain disregard and shallowness in order to make work.

This isn't going to be a trip in which you feel better about yourself; be prepared to be shitkicked and made to feel like a speck of dust and not very well paid. Also be prepared to have scuzzy photographers and PR people trying to make you give up sexual favors for their favor.

If you can handle all of that, it might have its interest and might be a unique environment to try for a year or two. BUT, if it were me, I'd just focus on your school and maybe try to get an internship somewhere doing something peripheral to see if it is a world in which you really want to be a part.

Ew. That doesn't sound very fabulous.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had heard about some of those things rach. I figure if **** goes sour, then I will be out as soon as possible. I'm a city kid at heart so i'll still love NYC if this were to go poorly. Leeson, I post in WAYWT, but here is a picture anyway:
waywt5lw1.jpg

Oh and Conne, it really doesn't matter if i'm your type, as you aren't mine.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh and Conne, it really doesn't matter if i'm your type, as you aren't mine.
Oh, SNAP!!!! Sadly, though, I don't think Conne HAS a type. Not one that doesn't require "cash up front" or that doesn't come de-flated in a box. Anyway, how tall are you? The other thing about modeling is that the models tend to be quite tall... male OR female. And, of course, without seeing your face, it's tough to say... unless you plan to be a hand or foot model.
wink.gif

leeson43

Reaction score
id be interested to see what people thought of my potential. with the standard of satire on here im not sure if i dare!

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Probably want to pick up some basic excel skills first, worry about the VBA later. There are packages out there that will train you on LBO / valuation models. If you want to land a PE job, you will have to be able to construct one based on a simple 10-K within a couple of hours at the interview. Good luck!

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
waywt5lw1.jpg

Well, you do have a rather exotic facial structure. It might be worth a shot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads