• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Donkey Jacket

Reaction score
Not sure the date, love the denim look(or are they smarter trousers?) with the shades, i actually found some shades similar to the old style on a site which also accepts prescriptions so i might get em.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure the date, love the denim look(or are they smarter trousers?) with the shades, i actually found some shades similar to the old style on a site which also accepts prescriptions so i might get em.

Yeah, very "clean" looking.

I've found these shades are the closest... I'm guessing they're the ones re-branded by Mikkel Rude.
American Optical. Gold frames, grey lenses but come in green, brown, etc.

Donkey Jacket

Reaction score

I've found these shades are the closest... I'm guessing they're the ones re-branded by Mikkel Rude.

`
Yep i like those, would have to get the lenses replaced with prescription lenses tho.

These ones are the ones im thinking of getting, glasses direct ''cowboy'' specs, i think they fit the bill.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yessir, square-shaped, etc. I use contact lenses but for around the house... still get that vertigo feeling from glasses/specs walking out-of-doors... like an incurable hangover, haha.

Happy weekend, everyone.

LeviStubbsTears

Reaction score
Excellent pics! Where and when from? Guessing '71?
A few of the fellows, especially sitting around the cars, have a very clean aesthetic that could be construed(in hindsight) as skinhead, Ivy, mod, etc. defo a look I aspire to though with a slightly more modern take.

The 2 fellas on top in the denim jackets pretty much nailed my favorite outfit to wear in moderate weather, except switch the stone sta prest out for a pair of white 501's.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed! I've read quite a few books on the subject but his work was not only very detailed but it seemed like a fresher take on the matter. Sometimes those books are just rehashing old material that we've all read a million times.
1f44d-1f3fc.png

If you're on about The New Religion it's an absolute bible - detail oriented to the point of being exhaustive and with countless first hand memories from people all over the country. Now compare that to the bloated pseudo intellectual crapfest by Richard Weight. Was ever so much turgid bollocks written about a subject? He commits the unforgivable sin of making a book about Mods insufferably boring. Just like some teachers and lecturers I've had in the past who had an uncanny knack of managing to suck the very oxygen out of the room, on a subject that should have you rapt with attention and eager to learn more.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score

Great pictures DJ, just when I think I've seen it all, new old pictures come from out of the goldmine and display the vast amounts of variations of "the look" Always loved that longer crop look with a pair of aviators, gingham shirt with cords or jeans with a pair of DM Steeds/Smiths. My go to casual look.

Last edited:

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
Bit of a silly question, but many skinheads in the early days wore square cut aviators, but how popular were the teardrop shaped ones? Most pictures I see from the original period usually show skinheads of the time sporting square cuts.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My recollection is that it was American Optical if you could get them and if not a similar square cut. .

I got my last pair here https://www.silvermans.co.uk/collec...ts/a-o-military-sunglasses?variant=4191892995 a few years ago. . other suppliers are available. .

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bit of a silly question, but many skinheads in the early days wore square cut aviators, but how popular were the teardrop shaped ones? Most pictures I see from the original period usually show skinheads of the time sporting square cuts.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I am thinking 'polaroids' sunglasses were either male or female, a squarer version for men and a rounder version for women.

(depends on the shape of your face of course, wayfarers for me)

Last edited:

Donkey Jacket

Reaction score
Yessir, square-shaped, etc. I use contact lenses but for around the house... still get that vertigo feeling from glasses/specs walking out-of-doors... like an incurable hangover, haha.

Happy weekend, everyone.

I always find contacts lenses uncomfortable so its always jam jars for me.

M-O-M wore aviators too there is a pic of him somewhere in the thread wearing them, i think i like the square ones more, and i agree on the longer crop too.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polaroid sunglasses in the late 60s were not offered in an aviator style in the UK. Hence the rectangular shape.

Aviators came into fashion later.

Polaroid sales were not helped by the idea that they were not suitable for car driving -because reinforced windscreens looked strange wearing polaroids. By the time I got around to driving a car other sunglasses were popular.

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
Polaroid sunglasses in the late 60s were not offered in an aviator style in the UK. Hence the rectangular shape.

Aviators came into fashion later.

Polaroid sales were not helped by the idea that they were not suitable for car driving -because reinforced windscreens looked strange wearing polaroids. By the time I got around to driving a car other sunglasses were popular.

A good example of how language and references can shift quickly over a relatively short time. At the start off the 70's say "Polaroids" and everyone thinks sunglasses, use it again near the end of the decade and everyone thinks "instant photographs".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads