• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

northernbloke12345

Reaction score
Anorak does sound faaaaar nerdier, Parka gives off too many cool mod vibes, interesting social history:fonz:
10399261_22134942582_7532_n.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got to love Duane Dibley though!
Jasper Carrot used do this whole thing about trainspotters wearing anoraks (with hoods to catch the dandruff!) - he may not have been the original but I always thought that might have been the genesis of the term for trainspotting nerds.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Latest podcast dropped. Not much from our era in this one, but Kate has decided to explore "Country Soul" and has actually picked some fine tracks in the genre. Wish Michael Chapdelaine's version of I Heard It Through The Grapevine was available on Spotify!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New podcast! Here's the shpeel:

Two wild-card tracks top-and-tail this week’s Home Studio Session. We begin with Johnny Dankworth’s big band jazz theme for ABC TV’s ‘The Avengers’, and we end with the Laurie Johnson Orchestra’s single ‘The Shake’, which Johnson later re-recorded as the theme for the Diana Rigg era ‘Avengers’. Apart from that there’s a couple of country/soul crossovers – Ray Charles with ‘Take These Chains From My Heart’ and Louisiana rocker Tab Benoit’s version of Otis Redding’s ‘These Arms Of Mine’. There’s an insane live-on-the-street version of Marvin Gaye’s ‘Sexual healing’ by the Hot 8 Brass Band, and there are tracks from Otis himself, Marv Johnson, Wilson Pickett, Spencer Davis, Smokey Robinson, and lots more! If you don’t have a Mixcloud account, I’ll put the track list in a comment field.

Swampster

Reaction score
I recently started watching the Avengers from the first surviving episodes and hadn't realised until then that the Dankworth theme tune was used - I suppose I hadn't seen many of the Mrs Gale period episodes before. I like the theme, though it is used so much within each episode that after some binge watching it gets a bit much.
One of my affectations is that the Rigg-era theme is my ring tone.

Swampster

Reaction score
I want that!!!!
It's all very passé to have tunes for ringtones, I suppose.
I can't remember how I got it. I may have just edited from the track but I'll be blowed if I can remember how.
I used to use Happy Days Toy Town from 'Ogden's Nutgone Flake'.

Text alerts are the Hitchhikers Guide book sound but then my home screen has some big friendly words of advice on them.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently started watching the Avengers from the first surviving episodes and hadn't realised until then that the Dankworth theme tune was used - I suppose I hadn't seen many of the Mrs Gale period episodes before. I like the theme, though it is used so much within each episode that after some binge watching it gets a bit much.
One of my affectations is that the Rigg-era theme is my ring tone.
I also watched all The Avengers episodes. This includes the earliest where Ian Hendry was the star. This was in the days before his ridiculous sideburns, when he looked fairly normal. Honor Blackman was good too. The internet is great because you cross check every episode for locations and other snippets.
It was a great show with fantastic guest stars over the years. Diana Rigg was great in The Detectorists playing the mother of her real life daughter.

Swampster

Reaction score
I also watched all The Avengers episodes. This includes the earliest where Ian Hendry was the star. This was in the days before his ridiculous sideburns, when he looked fairly normal. Honor Blackman was good too. The internet is great because you cross check every episode for locations and other snippets.
It was a great show with fantastic guest stars over the years. Diana Rigg was great in The Detectorists playing the mother of her real life daughter.
I was surprised how different Honor Blackman looked. Partly due to being b&w, partly her hair style and partly because, despite Goldfinger, my image of her is blurred by her TV appearances in the 90s when she was in her 60s. I had no idea it was her playing Hera in the Harryhausen Jason and the Argonauts.
One of the things I sometimes check is the cars and there are some great websites that detail just about every car in shot on the Avengers, the Saint etc. I'm not a motor head but do love the style of many of the cars. I suppose the lack of crumple zones and side bars would make them unworkable today.

Completely agree about the Detectorists.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads