• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tailor v 'stylist', no contest. The tailor works out from the anatomy, the stylist works in from the details

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High Street tailoring shops like Burton and John Collier offered a huge range of different cloths and slightly different style options that are no longer on offer at a reasonable price.

One downside was that they might not fit as well as they should though they would alter them as much as they could.

When men found a Marks suit was less bother and took less time the Burtons lost out.

Even if the execution was not top notch, there was more attention to detail than nowadays.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Book:

The Book currently sits at just over 35,000 words. When a few additions are made, we might approach 40,000. However, I'm going to give what I have so far to Mr. Knightly tomorrow, so he can cast his eagle eye over it.

The fact remains that AT LAST we are getting somewhere.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Book - a request

In the notes I have found a reference to a 1969 documentary about skinheads (maybe the Man Alive one, but not necessarily). It was partly shot in the Phoenix Youth Club, North London. I believe it was made for/by the BBC. Does anyone know where I can view it? I don't seem to be able to get it on YouTube.

yankmod

Reaction score
The Book - a request

In the notes I have found a reference to a 1969 documentary about skinheads (maybe the Man Alive one, but not necessarily). It was partly shot in the Phoenix Youth Club, North London. I believe it was made for/by the BBC. Does anyone know where I can view it? I don't seem to be able to get it on YouTube.
I had this conversation with Lasttye a ways back.There was the "Man Alive" doc,provided above by Donkey Jacket and there was another in B&W.There are clips of it,Lasttye said it was made for Schools.I contacted the Beeb but they never responded. This clip begins with that Doc. I later found a longer clip which showed the band the kids was dancin to but,I can't find it now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads