• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember going to London on a school trip in 1998 (I'm from the U.S.), and going to the Merc shop somewhere in London (by the Charing Cross station?). I think this was before they stated making their own clothing, and just sold a lot of cool skinhead type stuff. I picked up a couple of Ben Sherman button downs and a Fred Perry polo, when both of those brands were made in England exclusively. They had a deadly selection of clothes back then.

benj84

Reaction score
Supposedly 1969, perhaps later? never seen it before.

QqY6YJX.jpg
Is that the Coventry boys

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember going to London on a school trip in 1998 (I'm from the U.S.), and going to the Merc shop somewhere in London (by the Charing Cross station?). I think this was before they stated making their own clothing, and just sold a lot of cool skinhead type stuff. I picked up a couple of Ben Sherman button downs and a Fred Perry polo, when both of those brands were made in England exclusively. They had a deadly selection of clothes back then.

Went there in winter '97 myself... I think Merc manufactured Fred and Ben Sherman stuff under licence at the time. Place was like Mecca back then, you're right.
Funny, one of the dudes from the Glory Stompers(Canada) was working there-- and talking with a British accent!

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went there in winter '97 myself... I think Merc manufactured Fred and Ben Sherman stuff under licence at the time. Place was like Mecca back then, you're right.
Funny, one of the dudes from the Glory Stompers(Canada) was working there-- and talking with a British accent!

Do you remember a store in Atlanta that did mail-order called Crash and Burn?

I remember being surprised when I went in Merc, since the guys working there were listening to techno, when I was expecting something Jamaican or oi!.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you remember a store in Atlanta that did mail-order called Crash and Burn?

I remember being surprised when I went in Merc, since the guys working there were listening to techno, when I was expecting something Jamaican or oi!.

Yeah, I know Frank from Crash and Burn. He was the singer of Terminus City. After 9/11 he joined the military and did that for many years.

catchourbreath

Reaction score
I got a 3 button FP from Merc store when my aunt went to London in around 2000 or so. Used to always love the Crash & Burn and Two Tone ads in MRR or other zines. Luckily we had 99x but I was broke and never got anything other than shoes.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know Frank from Crash and Burn. He was the singer of Terminus City. After 9/11 he joined the military and did that for many years.
Ha! I remember ordering stuff from Frank over the phone when I was a kid, but since I lived in Michigan I never met him. I didn't know what he did after the shop closed, so thanks for the information.
I got a 3 button FP from Merc store when my aunt went to London in around 2000 or so. Used to always love the Crash & Burn and Two Tone ads in MRR or other zines. Luckily we had 99x but I was broke and never got anything other than shoes.
Yep, I remember Two Tone as well. I don't think I ever bought anything from them though. They sent out catalogs of their stuff I used to get. I don't know what 99x is though.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My accent remains Flat Northern Prairie™ when I travel.

As a Canadian I seem to fit in as a target for people looking for drugs, not someone to sell drugs to, no matter where I go.

pressuredrop

Reaction score
Can any of the originals on here please tell me if their old braces were all-elastic, or some of combination of canvas/leather/elastic? And was there a preference for the X-shaped or the Y-shaped ones?

Donkey Jacket

Reaction score
Not an original but from what ive seen and read elastic X shaped clip on braces were worn, usually slim, and at the back they was clipped on further apart not like a Y what seems to be fashionable with skins today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads