• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercedes coupe with a Ferrari complex

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
220MPH SL 65 AMG Black Series with 661HP twin turbo V12 capable of churning out 885 lb-ft of torque which had to be dialed down so as not to smash to shyt the 5AT
crackup[1].gif

(Due to fragility M-B's newer 7AT was a non-starter from the get-go.)

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Why no 6AT??
When did this nomenclature come into use? And yes, the SL is cool, but not much of a change from the prior SL65, though. ~ H

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure M-B even has a 6AT on hand.
There's supposed to be a sporty 7AT in the pipeline for AMG models, and 8AT for the rest of the line-up.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mercedes never had 6speed auto, unlike a lot manufactures, Mercedes makes its own gearbox, and they went from 5 to 7, so...

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's pretty for a Mercedes.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
didnt they use a 4speed transmission from a truck to solve that problem in a different car?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's an amazing car. My favorite current german car by far.
Originally Posted by Christofuh
I'm not sure M-B even has a 6AT on hand. There's supposed to be a sporty 7AT in the pipeline for AMG models, and 8AT for the rest of the line-up.
I still doubt it will be tough enough for this monster.. Tuned AMG models in the past couple years have been definitely hitting the limits of the stock ******, especially the V12TT which can put out 800-1000 tq with some relatively mild mods.

xpress

Reaction score
the SL is nice... but the CLK 63 Black is the better of the two...
(As per Jeremy Clarkson, who actually bought the CLK)

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xpress
the SL is nice... but the CLK 63 Black is the better of the two...
(As per Jeremy Clarkson, who actually bought the CLK)

I don't know dude, the SL black series came out after he bought his, at least so i believe..

Gallardo2501

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman

And yes, the SL is cool, but not much of a change from the prior SL65, though.

~ H

The biggest change is that it's no longer a convertible. AMG decided that to help stiffen the chassis they would use a dedicated hard top. The chassis is supposedly much more ridged (I think that a cage is also present or is a option, but I may be wrong on that one). It's lost a lot of weight (for a Mercedes), and has a extensively tuned suspension (hardware as well as electronic controls).

AMG has proven its magic is its ability to take a standard Mercedes, and tune it nut and bolt, and turn out a machine that will annihilate anything that Stuttgart churns out.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gallardo2501
The biggest change is that it's no longer a convertible. AMG decided that to help stiffen the chassis they would use a dedicated hard top. The chassis is supposedly much more ridged (I think that a cage is also present or is a option, but I may be wrong on that one). It's lost a lot of weight (for a Mercedes), and has a extensively tuned suspension (hardware as well as electronic controls).

AMG has proven its magic is its ability to take a standard Mercedes, and tune it nut and bolt, and turn out a machine that will annihilate anything that Stuttgart churns out.

Very true...it's simply an amazing car. I'm a little hesitant to believe it could touch the 220 m.p.h. barrier, but it's still by far my favorite current MB.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Torque was dialed down to 737 lb-ft
Max speed to 300 km/h
For the sake of - cough - safety.
Meantime, the lunatics over @ Brabus have been offering tuned models where the thrust would warrant 360 km/h or even 400 km/h speedos like it was nothing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads